Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
The weight gain concerns me as well. I'm 5'10 and the most I've ever weighed was 142 and my doctor said that was still in my BMI range, but on the upper side. I weigh in the 120s now. The attitude could be a teenage thing, but a hormonal imbalance could explain the sudden height, weight and mood changes. Definitely have her looked at.
5'10" and 142 lbs is a BMI of 20.4. On the low side of normal, and closer to underweight than to overweight.

At 5'10" and 128, that is clinically underweight.

To the OP, yes, that's a pretty extreme change in size and weight, and I would certainly start with a complete medical exam just to make sure there are no concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
5'10" and 142 lbs is a BMI of 20.4. On the low side of normal, and closer to underweight than to overweight.

To the OP, yes, that's a pretty extreme change in size and weight, and I would certainly start with a complete medical exam just to make sure there are no concerns.
Thank you! I was thinking of running the numbers because at 5'8" I knew that was dead wrong. But I didn't have the patience.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 31,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Although, I am not a doctor, her great weight gain connected with the huge gain in inches does seem pretty unusual. I would make sure that she has a very, very thorough medical exam. It may be normal for her or their may be some type of medical issue.

In boys it is sometimes connected with taking steroids or over the counter "muscle builders" for sports such as football or weightlifting. Is your daughter in sports that need great strength?

Her behavioral changes may just be because she is becoming a teenager and may be a phrase (IMHO, probably to both things). However, if your daughter felt in the past that your parenting skills & power were connected with "size and strength" and she resented that fact "the tables may have turned" in her favor.
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes, she does shot put and discuss in track and field and started weight lifting last year. She's put on an extraordinary amount of muscle over the past year; it's physically visible on her.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thank you! I was thinking of running the numbers because at 5'8" I knew that was dead wrong. But I didn't have the patience.
God. I can't say anything on here without people criticizing me. I am going by what my effing doctor told me. If he was wrong that's not my fault. No one has ever called me under weight. I can't win lately. I hate myself. Please no further comments on my idiocy. I won't be back to read them.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:49 PM

15 posts, read 31,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I agree with all of the above, but it needs to be done with caring. You don't want to shame her, make her hate her newly developing body, etc.

Was she always a bigger girl? How tall is she?

It does concern me that you used your physical strength as a parenting tool of she is turning the tides now.
She was always a big girl, and she is currently 5'10", and she has been lifting weights over the last year. It's like she's addicted. I don't want to get into details here, but that's how I found out she was much stronger than me: when she asked me to lift weights with here in our basement.

Thanks for the input and please message me if you want details.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
First of all, yes, it is possible for a girl to grow that much in a year, but it's unusual. Some girls do gain a lot of weight with puberty - I've seen them gain 40 lb in a year - but it's not a good thing. A normal weight for a 5'10" girl would be 150 - 160 lb. 210 puts her at 50 lb overweight, and well into the obese range.

If she's weight lifting, could it be that she is secretly taking a testosterone-like supplement? That could certainly account for the increasing muscle mass, and the aggression. You need to find out if she is, and get her to stop. Sounds like a visit to the pediatrician is definitely in order, and possibly to a pediatric endocrinologist. As for her aggressive behavior towards you: You and your partner need to have a serious discussion beforehand. You should not have to deal with ANY physical aggression from her! You both need to be on the same page about this. Then, you both need to have a very serious discussion with her, and let her know that she can NEVER lift a hand to either of you. Tell her that you will either call the police and put her into the care of the department of social services, or that you will put her into a psychiatric institution if she ever does that again - make sure she knows that you mean it, and if she ever gets "physical" again with you, call the local emergency psych services number immediately. In fact, post it prominently on the fridge, so she knows that you will do it.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:03 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
The weight gain and sudden increased strength gain sounds a little unusual. Sounds like a testosterone issue. Has she gone through puberty yet? She should weigh no more than 150 lb at that age for that height.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Like the others, I fear she is likely abusing steroids. It is very common amongst female shotput and discus athletes in high schools today.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
A lot of kids get fat at puberty. I was as thin as a rail until 11 1/2 and boom! my weight way more than doubled in a year or so, even though I hardly gained an inch or two in height. The fat all came off quickly and spontaneously when I was 15. My brothers and some of my friends did the same exact thing.

But she's huge! Muscle development is unusual in girls - especially her age. She should see an endocrinologist. Something is going on here.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
My nearly 13 year old son is 5-7 and he really hasn't hit his growth spurt yet but still, he's in the 90+percentile for height. Without any weight lifting at all he has gained 20lbs in the past year; I couldn't believe it, so yes, they do gain a bunch in this age group. I can only imagine your daughter is off the charts. He has also been very mouthy and challenging us; so I think part of that is age related. I would take her in to the doctor just to be safe. Even if she has developed a lot of muscle, that is still pretty heavy weight-wise. There are all kinds of hormonal disorders that could account for the sudden growth and weight so it would be smart to get that checked out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting