Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 01:25 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times

Advertisements

Children are children, they are not small adults.
No sense, for the most part.
It's up to you to discipline and direct.
Impose consequences for violations.
Make him clean up.

Take away toys - or find other means to punish, so he has negative feedback for his inappropriate behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 07:33 PM

13 posts, read 15,489 times
I know this is an old post. Just curious if the OP is still around and how things are going? I can relate to some of this.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:49 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
I see a whole lot of 'parent of year' candidtates posting here.

They may be some kids that are 'lazy', but others that just mature at different stages. As a late bedwetter, I can absolutely assure you, it wasn't a matter of being lazy, and I hated it. But I was asleep. Making me change the sheets didn't change anything. Trips to several doctors didn't change anything. When it was time for me to stop for the most part, I did. I think I was 12 or 13.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:16 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Out of curiosity, is your son avoiding sleepovers at friends' houses? He's at an age where lots of birthday parties involve sleepovers and kids get involved in activities, like scouting, that involve camping and other overnight adventures.

Since he is peeing in his pull up when he is awake, too, that tends to indicate that there's an attention/control dynamic at play. This isn't about his body needing more time to mature.

I'm wondering whether giving him an incentive to lose the pull up - like a scout camp out or a sleep over - would help.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:27 AM

13 posts, read 15,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Out of curiosity, is your son avoiding sleepovers at friends' houses? He's at an age where lots of birthday parties involve sleepovers and kids get involved in activities, like scouting, that involve camping and other overnight adventures.

Since he is peeing in his pull up when he is awake, too, that tends to indicate that there's an attention/control dynamic at play. This isn't about his body needing more time to mature.

I'm wondering whether giving him an incentive to lose the pull up - like a scout camp out or a sleep over - would help.
Not sure if your question is to me as I bumped the post or to the OP. I will say for my son yes he avoids sleepovers with any new or recent friends and definitely not group sleepovers which is very disappointing to him. He has a couple friends that we have known for years that don't go to him school that he does do sleepovers with. One of which still has accidents at night as well. The other sleepovers I go pick him up at 10.

I know for a fact he wets in his sleep as I have witnessed it. However he will also go in his pull up when awake which is troubling. When awake I think he is taking advantage of not having to stop what he is doing to go to the restroom.

The bedwetting is one reason we are thinking about putting the 2 youngest together and giving the oldest his own room. There room stinks in the morning and he complains and I agree it's not fair for him especially when he has sleepovers.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:42 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My advice is probably not going to be popular, but just the fact that he's going in his pull-ups before he goes to sleep tells me this is not the normal type of nighttime bed wetting. I'd not allow him to use the pull-ups any longer and let him pee on himself. Get a quality waterproof cover for his mattress and then get several sheet sets. I'd let him sleep in pee until he has had enough of it just as you have.

This method is going to be a little work, but he needs to be uncomfortable and those pull-ups and enabling his behavior.
Totally agree with this, adding also, I've always heard that bed wetting is evidenced by some underlying problem, such as stress, fear, etc...and I'd seriously consider taking him to counseling, b/c maybe there is something you are not aware of going on.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:07 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Late bedwetting either wasn't an issue when my child was growing up, or else it was a deeply held secret because it was unheard of.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the sort of diaper changing that modern parents do. When my kid was little all of us parents constantly checked diapers and changed them immediately as soon as needed. A discussion about diapers held here on C-D fairly recently revealed that modern parents only change a diaper a couple of times a day because modern disposable diapers can hold a lot of moisture before they start to leak.

All I can see that does (besides cutting the cost of diapering) is that the child thinks it is normal to walk around with wet pants.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:46 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I can only relate to late bedwetting through my cousins, they all wet the bed, there were 5 kids and the one girl wet the bed really long, but as it turned out, there was abuse and termoil within the family which effects kids in a big way

Old 10-21-2022, 10:52 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
I'm sorry you all are dealing with this. I'd put a trash can right by the bed if I wasn't planning on taking away the pull-ups. Definitely stop all liquids a few hours before bedtime.

What about trying a bribe of some type? Is there a game or toy he has been wanting for a while? Can you take away the diaper, put a plastic cover on the bed & tell him you'll get xyz if he doesn't wet the bed for 2 weeks, or something like that? Mark each day off of a calendar leading up to prize day?

Old 10-26-2022, 12:37 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Agree. I potty trained my youngest by getting rid of diapers completely. Felt too uncomfortable, used toilet almost immediately.
It's really the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting