Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bottle feeding versus breast feeding, support wife who decided against breastfeeding, formula companies, nestle comfort formula, pediatrician recommended, support groups, nutrients

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times

Advertisements

The next time someone sticks their nose in you and your wifes business, slap yourself upside the head and say "is THAT what those are for?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
The next time someone sticks their nose in you and your wifes business, slap yourself upside the head and say "is THAT what those are for?"

I love that answer. It's perfect.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 PM

335 posts, read 1,029,043 times
I have no issues with mothers choosing bottle over breast. I breast fed my son for 6 weeks before I dried out. I did it mainly because my ob/gyn stated that if I could handle 6 weeks than all my antibodies would be passed to my son. After the 6 weeks I was not producing enough milk so I switched to the soy formula and he is fine there are no disorders no attachment issues. So I respect you and yours for your decision it really boils down to personal preference.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
Many medical and health theories come and go; the current one is that breast feeding is "healthier" for the child. I call it the dental syndrome: first they tell you to brush in a circle, then up and down, then in a circle, etc.

My first child was unable to breastfeed but I did not care one whit as my breasts were so sore from pregnancy there was no way I'd have continued it. Still, I watched in the intensive care unit as other moms of premies cried their hearts out because someone had convinced them that they weren't being a "good mom" just because the baby couldn't breast feed. So sad.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Many medical and health theories come and go; the current one is that breast feeding is "healthier" for the child. I call it the dental syndrome: first they tell you to brush in a circle, then up and down, then in a circle, etc.
Sorry, but if you don't believe that breastfeeding really is healthier for the child, I think you are either completely ignorant of the scientific studies in question or else in denial. It is very clear that breast is best, as they say. There are numerous studies on numerous health implications. Maybe you don't understand how the immune system works, but I am an immunologist, and it's very clear to me that even if the only benefit to breastfeeding were the passing of antibodies from the mother to the baby, that would be enough to make breastfeeding worth it. As it is though, there are many other reasons in addition to the antibodies too.

I think that most people who don't breastfeed believe that breast is best, but they don't think that there's that big of a difference, and when weighed with other things they are dealing with they conclude that the payoff to bottle-feed is greater. That's a cost analysis that they have made, saying I know breastfeeding is better for reasons ABC but bottlefeeding is better for me for reasons XYZ, and right now XYZ outweighs ABC for me. But it just boggles my mind that with all the evidence you could think that breastfeeding was not actually healthier in the first place.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 AM

100 posts, read 374,635 times
The formulas that are made today are very close to the real thing.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
I have no issues with mothers choosing bottle over breast. I breast fed my son for 6 weeks before I dried out. I did it mainly because my ob/gyn stated that if I could handle 6 weeks than all my antibodies would be passed to my son. After the 6 weeks I was not producing enough milk so I switched to the soy formula and he is fine there are no disorders no attachment issues. So I respect you and yours for your decision it really boils down to personal preference.
If you are saying that after 6 weeks, there are no longer antibodies in the breastmilk, that is completely untrue. My daughter is almost 2 and is still getting antibodies from my milk. They do not go away.

Perhaps what your doctor was saying was that your antibodies would be passed to your child as long as you were breastfeeding at all, and that if you made it to 6 weeks you would give your child a great start by getting antibodies for at least that long during those very early days. I can't imagine that a doctor would say that there are no more antibodies after 6 weeks. That makes no sense. Sorry if that's not what you meant and I misunderstood your comments.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbearof4 View Post
The formulas that are made today are very close to the real thing.
Yes, formula today is better than it was in the past. I'm not saying that it is poison or something. But it will never be equivalent to breastmilk. Formula does not, and probably never will, have antibodies in it. Even if somehow they do put antibodies in it in the future, they will not be specific antibodies made for your child based on the germs he/she has been exposed to. Formula can never emulate this aspect of the specific immune system.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
When I had my son, I tried to breastfeed. It lasted only 2 weeks. I didn't realize I wasn't producing enough to sustain him. He weighed 8lb 7oz at birth and in two weeks he was down to just about 7 lbs. I shoulda figured this out when my breast didn't get any larger, more sensitive and sore, or leak. With my daughter, I didn't even try. I had an in law give me hell for not breast feeding. I told her I wasn't producing milk and would end up starving my child if I tried. She didn't believe me. She said I was just being selfish and making up an excuse because "all" women produce milk no matter what. I told her she was an idiot. That was really the only incident where someone stepped over the line about me not breast feeding. Other curious people understood my situation and never chastised me.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM

177 posts, read 815,204 times
I actually used a combination of breast and formula for all three of my kids. My first I was able to go 12 weeks on breast alone ( this was 10 years ago - they were only just starting to see the benefits of breastfeeding as opposed to formula). I remember that my mother-in-law was dead against me breastfeeding my daughter because she had not been able to do it for her kids. I got all sorts of odd and strange comments from her and my own mother was not that supportive either. For my second and third kids I was not able to breast feed for long because I got quite sick. I think it lowered my immunity to certain viruses and I was therefore worried about passing tainted milk to my kids. Anyway, unfortunately some time later these two where diagnosed with Autism. Of course I will never really know whether breast milk contributed to this - at the time I had mercury amalgam fillings and these leech mercury of course when you drink hot fluids and chewing can do this too. So I think I did the right thing stopping breastfeeding when I did looking back now though - people's comments were hurtful and unneccessary at times. I have sometimes even found myself saying stuff like this to people just because it was said to me....I know strange eh??? I have always found it hard though to be rude to people who comment on such topics like breastfeeding but since living in the States ( I'm from the UK) I have been better at defending myself and my kids to attacks of this nature. Bringing up kids will always be a cause for controversy not matter what you do - I always say - "damned if you do - damned if you don't" I don't follow any particular religion but I did read an interesting comment taken from Kabbalah which is the religion that Maddona follows. It basically said that if you do things to make other people happy all the time then you yourself will never find true happiness. I believe this to be so correct in so many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting