Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 04:46 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times

Advertisements

My mom would hit me with the hanger which really stung and I turned out just fine. But when I had kids of my own my spouse had said that they did not believe in spanking. My position on it is I always reserve the right to do it. With that said I never did. I don't think that there is a need to because if you are consistent from birth onwards I have found that even with the most difficult child you'll always get through to them. Parents are the one in control if they choose to be.

Now they are much older and obviously never need to be spanked at this point in their lives. I understand how toddlers can be difficult and parents might feel the need to spank out of frustration. I guess in the end families have to do what works best for their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 09:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
This is not new information. There is not a single, solitary study that shows spanking has any benefits. In fact, they all say the opposite.

And before someone asks, my degree is Early Childhood Developement is from Texas State University.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Researchers say it leads to negative outcomes, not positive ones.

The upshot of a new study on spanking children: Just don't do it. "Parents hit their children because they think doing so will improve their behavior," explains senior author Elizabeth Gershoff of the University of Texas at Austin to CNN.

https://www.newser.com/story/307954/...r-nothing.html
1st: Spanking is not the same as hitting. Spanking is a quick slap to the butt, where no harm is inflicted other than to the waxing ego of a youthful tyrant. It get their attention off whatever poor behavior is exhibited. Generally, in my observation, it loses its effectiveness after the child reaches adolescence.

2: I was frequently spanked by my mother as a youngster. I was not beaten; I was not abused. I simply learned that my behavior at the time would not be condoned, and reminded me that it was better to behave than not.

I am not a parent, but having lived over 65 years now, I can tell you that I much prefer the company of children that have been disciplined and learned what behavior is appropriate. Since the "no spanking" dictum, I have decidedly avoided situations were children were allowed to express themselves freely. I have witnessed that they grow up to be irresponsible adults that make asses of themselves in their communities.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
This is not new information. There is not a single, solitary study that shows spanking has any benefits. In fact, they all say the opposite.

And before someone asks, my degree is Early Childhood Developement is from Texas State University.
Just curious but how are benefits quantified in studies of spanking and non spanking.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM

1,702 posts, read 783,390 times
It's not anybody's place to tell anyone else how to raise or discipline their kids accept in cases of obvious abuse or neglect. This is especially true if the critics in question have no kids of their own. But even if they do, their energy would be better spent minding their own relationships, children, and families.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
It's not anybody's place to tell anyone else how to raise or discipline their kids accept in cases of obvious abuse or neglect. This is especially true if the critics in question have no kids of their own. But even if they do, their energy would be better spent minding their own relationships, children, and families.
Nor is it your adult mind frame to put blinders on and sing I can't hear you , when studies and living beings verify the long term message sent with physical striking.

If you still cling to the belief of justifying striking as a form of true discipline. Then you are essentially endorsing poor judgment and disrespect. Not one single parenting course suggests spanking is the go to resolution. Those who do not learn from their mistakes...justify them.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:35 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Just curious but how are benefits quantified in studies of spanking and non spanking.
They used measures such as the number of disciplinary actions at school, run-ins with the law, etc. Studies show that kids who were spanked have higher incidents of these things across the board. A recent study also found that spanking affects brain response and development, as illustrated on MRIs (link below). There are also many more subjective measures such as kids diagnosed with mental health issues, kids labeled by their school as agressive, etc.

https://srcd.onlinelibrary.wiley.com...111/cdev.13565

Old 08-04-2021, 12:43 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Some of y'all need to READ the link instead of popping off on whatever the OP posts.

Quote:
Physical punishment is increasingly viewed as a form of violence that harms children. This narrative review summarises the findings of 69 prospective longitudinal studies to inform practitioners and policy makers about physical punishment's outcomes. Our review identified seven key themes. First, physical punishment consistently predicts increases in child behaviour problems over time. Second, physical punishment is not associated with positive outcomes over time. Third, physical punishment increases the risk of involvement with child protective services. Fourth, the only evidence of children eliciting physical punishment is for externalising behaviour. Fifth, physical punishment predicts worsening behaviour over time in quasi-experimental studies. Sixth, associations between physical punishment and detrimental child outcomes are robust across child and parent characteristics. Finally, there is some evidence of a doseā€“response relationship. The consistency of these findings indicates that physical punishment is harmful to children and that policy remedies are warranted.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...seccestitle270

Check out the 100 references that have been done over YEARS, mnany of which target spanking, specifically. Some also cover more "mild" disciplines like washing mouths out with soap, making them stand in the corner for extended periods of time, etc.

It's disappointing how many of you think that this is anything new.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:

YES! Sorry, couldn't rep you again.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:26 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:

Hard to quantify wth a study, but I expect most people that were spanked as children for being spoiled little brats in public remember those spankings, and are much less likely to behave poorly in public as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting