Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Men's groups are calling for mandatory paternity testing of all newborns as it emerges a record number of men are finding they are not the fathers of children they believed to be theirs.

Almost a quarter of paternity tests conducted by one of Australia's largest DNA laboratory companies show the man submitting a sample is not the father, compared to an estimated one in 10 "exclusions" 10 years ago.

The number of tests taken in Australia has doubled from 3000 in 2003 to more than 6000 last year.

Thousands of men are turning to DIY testing kits - available online - to discover whether they are the biological father while they are still in a relationship and without telling their partners about their suspicions.

Some have brought up children to adulthood or paid tens of thousands of dollars in maintenance to the Child Support Agency (CSA) before finding out they have no genetic link.

Men's Rights Agency co-director Sue Price said: "People's lives are being ruined by this. It is not just the men, it's the children who grow up thinking one person is their father and then find out it's someone else.

"In the future, more and more health treatments are going to be based on genetic technology, so it is going to be even more important to know who your biological father is.

"Mandatory testing would get rid of all these problems."

The DNA Bio Services lab conducts more than 2000 such tests a year from the sale of its DIY kits.

New 2007 figures compiled by the company show that one in 4.5 paternity tests exclude the man as the biological father - a record high since DNA testing began 10 years ago. Managing director Gary Miller said: "The increase is across all social classes and ages - it affects everyone.

In short, there are lots and lots of kids running around out there who are the product of the Mom makin' the bacon with somebody besides Dad--and without Dad's knowledge to boot.

So, anybody know of a situation like that? I'm not expecting anyone to confess. But feel free to give a hypothetical example.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Not quite the same, but......I have a former neice (ex husband's side) who was engaged to be married and ended up pregnant and moved the date up. Turns out that the new groom wasn't the babe's daddy, yet he actually KNEW it and married her anyway. They told no one outside of her parents.

A few years later they split and she married the babe's bio dad and they now have 3 kids together. Very odd indeed.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Now that you mention it, I remember a really attractive girl in my apartment building who slept with everybody, EXCEPT this one, geeky guy who had the hots for her (And me, because I had a live-in girlfriend at the time).

So this girl winds up pregnant and this guy offers to marry her. She took him up on it! I have no idea how things ended up. I moved a few months later, before the baby was born.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,967 times
Oh, yes. I know someone whose ex-husband claims all the kids but there's been talk forever that some of the kids may not be his. The youngest one could belong to one of several men.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,641,666 times
what is wrong with some of these women they make us good ones look really bad. who knows if this was done maybe people would be more careful and not have the affairs. who am i kidding it will just add to the divorce rate.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
my ex husband, turns out his where he and his brothers were all raised thinking they were full brothers, turns out the middle ones dad was actually his dads brother. (so he thought is was his uncle, but was actually his father) THEN, he turns and has a child w/his cousin who told everyone the father of the baby was another guy....truth finally came fully out when the little one was about 7. Total Jerry Springer show there.....just another reason they are EX family. ugh.
anyhow, Ali&ajsmom has a good point! And some of these parents make those of us who actually KNOW who the real bios are seem like a minority rate!
Hey, id say, Go For It, those who have nothing to hide have no worries, eh?
Tiffany

Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Some people may not want to know. My son and xdil divorced with one child, sometime later she moved back in bam was preg. When that child was one she left again for another man. With all the custody and child support crap going on I hinted my suspecion that the youngest may not be his. He shushed me up quick letting me know in no uncertain terms that was his son. I still suspect, but now years later I would not want to know that this is not my biological g child.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Men's groups are calling for mandatory paternity testing of all newborns as it emerges a record number of men are finding they are not the fathers of children they believed to be theirs....
I heard this one a while back. I think it should be mandatory. Even if the guy isn't the dad and knows it. It should still be mandatory just so everyone knows for sure. Imagine going 18 years thinking the kid was yours either raising him/her in a marraige or paying child support all that time only to find out you're a victim of fraud.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
and it could be vital in some medical cases.....if possible, its important to know your medical background as far back as you can....theres things they wont typically screen for if theres no known cases of it in the family. For instance, what if the paternal side has a huge history of a certain type of cancer and it would be benificial to screen for/watch for, if they dont know it, well.......

Old 05-16-2008, 03:36 PM

152 posts, read 335,375 times
This happened to my uncle (mother's brother)...he found out that one of his daughters were not his. around the time she was born, there was some suspicion but she denied it. the real father is actually a man that goes to their church that she apparently dealt with years ago (my cousin, or pretend cousin, is about 30). they are still together, but i hear he totally loathes her (plus, they do have other children together, too). its so weird, because now I notice while she looks like her mom, she looks nothing like our side of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting