Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 12:43 AM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I asked because I hear stories Asian families hit their children because the children didn't obey. They hit their children in the butts with long sticks, or slap them in the face. According to the laws, is it legal or not?
It is not helpful for you to make a statement like that and then just reply "I hear stories blah blah blah.....".

If this is about you, that you are Asian and you were hit, then say so.

If you have a particular story about this subject, then post a link to it. Otherwise, it really is just heresy and not useful at all. In fact, it is the sort of thing that leads lazy people to stereotyping others.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:36 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
There is no reason to hit children. My children and grandchildren minded their parents without any hitting.
I will say that two of my boys got a spanking one time, for doing something dangerous, and it was just to impress on them how serious it was. It hurt us more than them.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Sometimes,the parents use the children as punch bags to take out their own frustrations,anger at work.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:33 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Why would it be ok for anyone ?

I feel like people often use culture as an excuse for why they do something or behave a certain way. It's kind of ridiculous. There's a term 'Irish temper' but I've seen many many other races and cultures who have bad tempers. Anyone can have a bad temper just as anyone can hit their kids. No one gets a pass for it being ok to hit their kids. I've heard people say asian mothers are hard on their kids when it comes to being successful and I used to hear this about Jewish mothers as well. Everyone should expect their kids to do well. If people are beating their kids to do well or when they don't do well that's a whole other story.

When parents hit kids I think it's a sign they've lost control. I sometimes yell at my kids when they act crazy and out of control and when i yell it's because they didn't listen to my normal voice the first 3 times. I already hear people say things like yelling is abusive and we all know jotting is abusive. Years from now I don't know how people will be expected to discipline kids when they act up. But hitting kids is just not ok.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:48 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Science shows that spanking does not work as a disciplinary tool and in fact causes additional developmental problems.

Quote:
While spanking often does lead to an immediate change in behavior, in the long term it leads to increased behavior problems. This study supported the findings of previous studies and showed that children who are spanked have increased aggression and decreased language skills at ages 5 and 9. This means that children who are spanked are more likely to display aggressive behaviors such as hitting, acting out, or disregard for rules. These children were also found to have lower scores on verbal and language testing. The evidence is clear physical discipline is unhelpful in promoting desirable behavior, and is associated with worse outcomes for children.
https://childrensmd.org/browse-by-ag...spanking-work/

It's 2022. Doesn't everyone know this by now?

Old 11-01-2022, 09:14 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I would think most people are aware that spanking is bad. I'm guessing people who do spank are pushed over the edge and at their wits end and next thing you know they're spanking the kid. Maybe they were spanked as kids and it seems like the thing to do.

I was at my kids sporting event not long ago and there was one dad there who is pretty intense. Yells loudly at kid while he's playing. The kids younger sister was there and she apparently wasn't behaving. Dad wanted her to sit down and she didn't want to. He was trying to watch the game and having to tend to another sibling who wasn't listening. Next thing I knew I heard him slap her twice. She's about 5. It seemed uncalled for and she didn't seem to be acting that badly. She of course cried and was saying, I don't like Daddy. I felt bad and have no idea if that's a regular occurrence in their house or what...but if she was slapping her in front of strangers I'm guessing he does it in his house. Wasn't a hard slap but still...

Old 11-01-2022, 10:14 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Just look at Asian kids and American kids. One group is academically excelling, has a solid family structure and loyalty, has respect for their elderly, and is currently the wealthiest group in the country. The other is hit or miss with no sense of loyalty to family, is extremely entitled, thinks they're equal to adults and has no respect for authority, no respect for the elderly, is more concerned with material gain and creative pursuits than establishing a solid economic and educational foundation for themselves. Corporal punishment has everything to do with it.

Last edited by allenk893; 11-01-2022 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 10:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
^ Well put NORTY.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:38 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It is not helpful for you to make a statement like that and then just reply "I hear stories blah blah blah.....".

If this is about you, that you are Asian and you were hit, then say so.

If you have a particular story about this subject, then post a link to it. Otherwise, it really is just heresy and not useful at all. In fact, it is the sort of thing that leads lazy people to stereotyping others.
Asians culturally are well known for hitting their kids. It's not a secret or stereotype. Caribbean parents, African parents, the French, Canadians, eastern Europeans, in large numbers spank their kids. It's only white Americans, the British, and Scandinavians who find it "shocking".

Old 11-01-2022, 10:49 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Asians culturally are well known for hitting their kids. It's not a secret or stereotype. Caribbean parents, African parents, the French, Canadians, eastern Europeans, in large numbers spank their kids. It's only white Americans, the British, and Scandinavians who find it "shocking".
Uh oh. I'm getting my popcorn ready for this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting