Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

This person's reaction just about sums up what is wrong with our society today.

I get it that some kids may have food allergies, and it is a very real concern, but no need to be rude and hostile about it.

A simple, thank you sorry but my child has food allergies is sufficient.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/no-n...174504544.html

Quote:
The other day, I was at the grocery store. As I was scanning my stuff in the self checkout, I turned around to check on my almost-2-year-old son sitting in the shopping cart and noticed the lady behind me in line was giving my son some fruit. I didn't really see what was in her basket, so I have no idea if the fruit came from the store or her purse, but I honestly didn't care. I was annoyed. I stopped and gave her a stare - the most evil stare that I think I've ever given anyone. I moved the basket my son was sitting in to the opposite side of our cart. She could tell I was irritated. "Oh, I gave him some fruit," she said. "Yeah, I noticed," I replied. I then quickly took the fruit from my son's hand and threw it away. She gave me a dirty look, but, lady, this all could have been avoided if you had just asked me first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
What a strange story. I have to say I've never seen that in my life, and I raised 3 kids and I'm out and about in the community all the time.

Never seen someone give a very small child they didn't know food in a completely public setting. Two days in a row no less.

I did have one incident where I was at a park giving my kids Nilla Wafers when a kid about 3 years old was standing there looking at the cookies. I said if you'd like a cookie, ask your mom if you can have one and I looked up at the woman I presumed to be his mother. The kid looked horrified, and ran screaming to his mother who was calming him down while telling me, quite proudly, that she had taught him about stranger danger.

For the love of God.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 PM

171 posts, read 146,082 times
mehhh.... this is a touchy subject I get what your saying but, of course I understand the mother's point of view. I personally wouldnt want a random giving my child food either. People are weird. you cant trust everyone, even if they mean no harm.

Last edited by agreen9189; 06-12-2018 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I get it that some kids may have food allergies, and it is a very real concern, but no need to be rude and hostile about it.

No, all it sums up is that nobody should offer food to any child without the permission of the parent or guardian. Common sense is lacking here, but it's on the part of both those women who handed the child food, not the mother. Nor should the mother have to lie about food allergies. Parenting 101, don't take food from strangers.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
I would be pissed if a complete stranger gave my kids food too. Aside from the whole allergy aspect, I don't want your dirty hands, that I have no idea where they've been or what they been doing, all over food you are giving my kid. That's gross. Where did the food come from? Again, gross. There's just nothing OK with that.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
While is certainly not acceptable for strangers to give food to children why is it that people have to be so nasty and volatile. It’s like they can’t wait to get on social media and share the drama of rage and shaming and get their self righteous mother fix.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Some people need to be taught basic life lessons, like don't give random children food.

The mother's response WAS being nice. My job is to protect my (young) kids from dangerous idiots, and anyone who would give a strange small child food without a simple: "Ask your parents first." or "Excuse me, would he/she like some grapes?" Doesn't have the common sense of a household fly.

The automatic response, by any adult with a whit of sense, to any request from a strange kid, is: "Go ask your parent if it's okay." From before kids to nowadays, this has always been my (beyond obvious) response.

Thankfully, I've never encountered any of these imbiciles. People have asked me on countless occasions: "Is it okay for them to have some?" To which I can smile and reply: "Yes. Thank you very much for offering." and then to my kids: "What do you say?" And from them get: "Thank you!"

If anyone gave my kids anything without my permission, I wouldn't just thow it away, I would confront them immediately and tell them that it is not appropriate and that they should ask parents first, in the exact same manner I would instruct a 4-year-old. When it comes to my chidrens' safety, I don't do passive-aggressive. I do aggressive.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
You can be assertive without being aggressive and nasty and then brag about it on social media.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Some people need to be taught basic life lessons, like don't give random children food.

Depends on the person giving the food as well. It is more understandable, and would receive a different reaction if it were some 85 year old lady doing it.

Doesn't make it any more right, but.. One of those 'different time' things.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
While is certainly not acceptable for strangers to give food to children why is it that people have to be so nasty and volatile. It’s like they can’t wait to get on social media and share the drama of rage and shaming and get their self righteous mother fix.

I thought pretty much the same thing. My intuition (accurate or not) was that this mother exaggerated things to make her point...or maybe even made up the whole scenario for the point of her story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting