Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,592 times

Advertisements

I am mom of 1, and looking for some gud parenting site for an Indian kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,587 times
Default Indian Moms And Babies

I am using this one. I found it kool............

[url=http://www.indianmomsandbabies.com/pregnancy/]Indian Moms, Babies, Pregnancy, Toddlers, Baby Names and Parenting Community - IndianMomsAndBabies[/url]

Last edited by Geet; 07-27-2008 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: mis spelled

Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,549 times
Thumbs up hi

There is a wonderful site called indiaparenting.com , covers parenting like no one else. I used it wen i was planning a baby. its been my constant companion since then. do check it. [url=http://www.indiaparenting.com:]Parenting Advice, Information, Parenting Skills for Today's Parents - IndiaParenting.com[/url])

Old 12-30-2008, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,038 times
I am not indian but i would like to know why at my doctors office both parents of an indian child are ALWAYS with them. The father is usually the one holding the child or the infant seat and doing all the paper work at the check out counter. Usually in the US mothers do this. I found it interesting that Indian fathers are so involved. I know American fathers are to but this seems to be a bit different. I have also notices that most indian familys are together alot...even extended family. what is this called and what are the reasons for it? Also what other roles does the father play and what does the mother think about it. I know she can tell a difference b/c she's in the US. thanks for your help in helping me understand this.

c.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
www.kidsownplanet.com
This site has Indian stories, indian baby care, Indian baby names, names from vishnu sahasranama, lalitha sahasranama, Indian kids' birthday party ideas, Indian recipes for kids and songs for children, nusery rhymes and yoga for children

Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM

188 posts, read 680,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirl99 View Post
I am not indian but i would like to know why at my doctors office both parents of an indian child are ALWAYS with them. The father is usually the one holding the child or the infant seat and doing all the paper work at the check out counter. Usually in the US mothers do this. I found it interesting that Indian fathers are so involved. I know American fathers are to but this seems to be a bit different. I have also notices that most indian familys are together alot...even extended family. what is this called and what are the reasons for it? Also what other roles does the father play and what does the mother think about it. I know she can tell a difference b/c she's in the US. thanks for your help in helping me understand this.

c.
We had our first baby about 4 months ago. Me and my wife have gone together to the doctors office almost every time while she was pregnant and even after the baby is born.

In Indian families there is lot of family support when raising a child. It is common to have 3 generations living under the same roof. In our case we even have 4 generations living together for many months in a year.

So when you come out of such family and living in US or other country, husband has to make up for it. Also in India, a pregnant women is very taken care of. Mother is not expected to life weights, kneel or bend , very little physical work etc. A lot of these come from previous generation family members.

We have maids or helpers to do all of that stuff in India but here husband has to do it.In my case, I have done every single house hold thing (read cooking, cleaning, washing, mopping, feeding baby, bathing baby, diaper changing, many more) since my wife became pregnant. Its not to say that my wife does not do any of these things.

Couple of other things ...

1) Many females don't drive. So husband's have to bring them to the doctor
2) Many non-working spouses have a hard time expressing their problems to the doctor so husband helps them out by attending with her
3) In India fathers are seen as stubborn, disciplinary figure. By the time kids remembers anything ( Read Age 5), they usually have a sibling. They are expected to play each other and fathers involvement decreases rapidly. I know this is not the case with every one but it is the case with majority. People like us who have experienced both the worlds know what difference it can make if their parents are behind the kids and we make it a point to be behind them in every single thing.

Now a days in India people are so busy there is a new saying "Parents don't get time to spend with their kids. They could only spend their time with their grand kids"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting