Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,575,568 times

Advertisements

uuhhhh

take it away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
uuhhhh

take it away?
And that's the lazy way out. If he already has a history with the law, he isn't going to mind committing more crimes to get another X-Box.

Bad idea, point blank.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
I think its horrible how people play those games for literally hours on end. I personally would set any limits on those games if and when my 2 year old ever becomes interested in them. For this kid though, its already too late. He's clearly addicted and wouldn't know how to play for an hour a day and then stop. He needs to go cold turkey. You dont let an alcoholic or drug addict just "cut down" and I think drastic steps are needed here too. The mother sounds totally useless though and I'm surprised she actually found a boyfriend who is so caring about her kids. Someone needs to talk to this mother, but the OP being in high school certainly isn't the right person for the job.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,636,361 times
To the OP-

I appreciate your concern for this kid, but until the mom recognizes the problem and seeks help for him our posts are a waste of time.

You sound like a good friend. I hope it all works out for him.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,555,437 times
Take it away or seriously limit his time on it... and get him some kind of help. He needs to channel his mind energy into another activity... His mom must be ingnorant to not see her son needs help...

That is why I will never get a gaming system in our house...I just know it would get out of control...

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,068,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I dare to ask; where is the boy's father?
well i will give you the full scoop the boys father escaped prison where he was serving time for Armed Robbery,Grand Theft and alot of other charges.

he is very dangerous and it is imperative that we find where is father is he has already tried to contact the boys mother.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I think its horrible how people play those games for literally hours on end. I personally would set any limits on those games if and when my 2 year old ever becomes interested in them. For this kid though, its already too late. He's clearly addicted and wouldn't know how to play for an hour a day and then stop. He needs to go cold turkey. You dont let an alcoholic or drug addict just "cut down" and I think drastic steps are needed here too. The mother sounds totally useless though and I'm surprised she actually found a boyfriend who is so caring about her kids. Someone needs to talk to this mother, but the OP being in high school certainly isn't the right person for the job.

yes i am in high school but i am well beyond my years according to everyone i know. i have already talked to the mother,the boyfriend and the grandmother who got her credit card stolen. 2 out of 3 people listed above agree with me that we need to do something quickly. School starts on the 13th and with his very irregular eating,sleeping,and social habits he will have a extremely difficult time during school.

"Cold Turkey" is what we plan on doing. everyone is willing to help the boy. we was thinking of a camping trip for about a week. thats a start but there is a long road ahead and their will be several detours before we reach the exit.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
Be his friend. Hang out with him, invite him with you when you do things, spend time with him. The best way to change the behavior of a 14 year old is for his peers to model a new behavior for him.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM

515 posts, read 1,558,586 times
GOOD FOR YOU for recognizing a problem, then becoming pro-active to help. The world could use a few more like you! Down the road, I hope this kid knows how lucky he was to have you there for him. Stay strong!

~D

Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM

GRAB ON TO SOMETHING TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

today is the day the XBOX leaves the room. At midnight that XBOX is history!(If they are still going to carry it out). I havent talked to them for a few days so i dont know if they are still doing it. ( I hope they are!)

but i did witness something miraculous yesterday. The boy actually left the house with one of his friends to go play at the LAN Gaming Center. He actually shut the XBOX OFF LEFT HIS ROOM AND WENT OUT WITH A FRIEND! something he hasnt done all summer. even if he went there to play XBOX it was pretty amazing to see him leave his room and interract with one of his friends.

but that didnt last long he came back home and was at it again.
The boy will have a long road ahead of him and i will be there for him if he needs my help.

Have a SUNNY day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting