Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savme09
seriously what the heck is up with this current trend of getting male nannys? do people not watch the news? men arent good with children and dont have the paternal instinct, so if they are trying to be nannys or babysitters they are either child molesters or gay. these parents are leaving their children with them and PAYING THEM TO DO IT. it sickens me. youd think people would learn but no they hire these guys because its a trend and in thing to do.
It's a gross generalization to say that male nannies must be either predators or gay. That is one of the most ignorant things I've read on this board. What in the h*ll does being a male nanny have to do with being gay? Do you seriously think that being gay equates to being a child molestor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savme09 View Post
men behave differently when dealing with their own children, but any man who has desires to spend eight hours a day around children who aren\'t his own has something else in mind. like i said the statistics speak for themselves.
Do you have the same opinion of male teachers?

Please post your statistics and links to your specific sources.

Also, what exactly did you google? Pedophile male nannies?

Sheesh!

Nobody has seriously responded to your arguments because you a) state you have no personal experience with this - you're just googling for info and b) refer to the first part of this post where your gross generalizations smack of bigotry.

ETA: I would do criminal background checks as well as previous employment and references for ANY child care provider regardless of sex, orientation, race, etc. It's our responsibility as parents to do our due diligence. There are plenty of abusers out there who are women so I would not trust a woman just because she's female.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 09-06-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 04:48 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
sounds like this OP just wanted to start some s**t here and succeeded.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:41 PM

288 posts, read 656,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
"Mannys" are usually guys who are trying to figure out ways of meeting someone to help get their "acting" careers started. Here in LA, the only people with Mannys are the rich Hollywood types and the only Mannys are guys who want to eventually get their big break in Hollywood.

You will not find Mannys working for just anyone as they only want to work in Malibu or Hollywood Hills. I doubt that you'll find a single Manny in Reseda or North Hollywood.

I am a man and a new father of a 5 month old and there is no way I will ever hire a man to take care of or watch my child. No way ever. Men are NOT as good as women when it comes to this.
Men are NOT as good? Well the good thing is opinions are like a**holes and everyone has one.

I guess it's just a matter of preference, because I would not hire an inexperienced woman to watch my 5 month old, either. So I see your take on men, but at least you're not calling them child molesters or gay!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
Quote:
wow i never said i was attacking all men, just men who watch children. yes men that are fathers love their own children and everything but ones who choose to go into the nanny business are different. they are up to something. a quick google search will show you many instances. before anyone asks, not i am not speaking from personal experience and i am not some man hating she devil, but i know what i am talking about and i cant believe parents would put their kids in such danger.
UNBELEIVABLE. Just men who watch children???? Sure, you can probably find horror stories on the net, but you can find equal horror stories there of girls and women doing REALLY BAD THINGS to children left in their care.

Reminds me of my friend when my daughter was very small. He was working on becoming a police officer, and was my neighbor. He loved my daughter and spoiled her rotten every chance he had. She adored him. He took her to the zoo, over to his friend's house (they had small children), just around town. He wanted to be a dad so badly he couldn't stand it. We moved away and she misses him to this day.

Men can be very loving, and when given the chance, can be very excellent caregivers. My nephews act very standoffish around my daughter, but when they are alone with her, they act like it's their duty to teach her things. They are so patient with her.

There are perverted, cruel people on both sides of the gender fence, but to generalize boys and men like this is so unrealistic and unfair.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Sure its possible that a man can do just as good a job as a woman but I would seriously questions someone's judgment for hiring a male nanny to take care of their child. Maybe a single lonely mom who finds the manny "hot" would consider it. But Im sure that no man, would want to hire another man to take care of his child. Even if the manny comes highly recommended by the family rabbi I still dont think a man would want to hire him.

I personally do not know anyone who would consider a male for even a split second to watch their children. Only if it were a family member. I can guarantee that if in my search for a nanny a male shows up he would not be considered

Old 09-07-2008, 01:34 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
Most women wouldn't stand by and listen to sexism aimed at us in general, and it isn't right to generalize and be sexist toward men and boys about caregiving.

Men and boys are just as apt at caregiving, when given the opportunity, as men are at teaching in schools.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM

33 posts, read 96,653 times
Some years ago there was a sexual discrimination case filed by a male nanny. His prospective female employer told him he wasn't going to be hired based on his gender. He sued and the case was eventually ruled in her favor. The reason being? "Being a woman is not necessarily a genuine occupational qualification for a job as a nanny or domestic help; each case depends on its own facts. If, for example, the mother likes to bath with the baby and the nanny is expected to come into the bathroom during bath-times, this is a factor which may be taken into account in assisting a defence of sex discrimination by a male nanny who is unsuccessful against a woman in a job application. However, in many cases concerning male nannies, the genuine occupational qualification defence will not apply." (taken from a website reporting on the discrimination laws in general) Supposedly, part of the said nanny position required the nanny to bathe with the child. In all my years in childcare I have never heard of any other parents asking their nanny or caregiver to get into the tub with the child during bathtime. That's a pretty odd request. Your employer is basically asking you to strip as part of a childcare position.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstartedthefire View Post
A friend recently linked this to me. I debated whether I should reply or not, but today I decided to register to do just that. To the first poster, nobody is twisting your words. People have counteracted all of your points and you choose to ignore it for the sake of your original argument. It's the year 2008 and gender roles have changed. Men can be nannies. I am one of them. I've been doing it for years and I always have had to deal with the naysayers like yourself. I continue to do my job anyway. Times are changing and you need to get with it.

That's great! I was thinking about this topic the other day and realized a reason why someone would specifically want a male nanny - a single mom or lesbian couple might prefer a male nanny to bring in male influence for their child. We're a gay couple with two boys and we specifically chose a female nanny to have them be around a woman every weekday, although I wouldn't rule out a "manny".

Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
like i said the statistics speak for themselves.
Show us. Give us exact links. Telling us to "google it for yourself" is a cop out and tells us that you can't find the information right at the moment. If you have facts, present them.

The unfortunate part of the internet is that no matter what you believe, you can find links to prove you are right. Doesn't matter what your opinion is. Just because there is an article or two or three or even a dozen somewhere on the internet that support your views does not mean they are any more than the rantings of other highly opinionated people with no proof to substantiate what they say.

Show us the proof. That will settle everything in one post.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
seriously what the heck is up with this current trend of getting male nannys? do people not watch the news? men arent good with children and dont have the paternal instinct, so if they are trying to be nannys or babysitters they are either child molesters or gay. these parents are leaving their children with them and PAYING THEM TO DO IT. it sickens me. youd think people would learn but no they hire these guys because its a trend and in thing to do.
Are you really as stupid as you sound? Is that even humanly possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting