Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:20 PM

725 posts, read 2,321,931 times

Advertisements

I couldn't believe what I heard in Home Depot yesterday. A young boy was with his mom - I think it was his mom - and he called her a b--ch!!!!!!! The mom told him to be quiet, but didn't scold him.

If you have kids do they ever cuss?

If they ever cuss in public, do you discipline them in public?

Just wondering because I was raised in a pretty strict household. I wasn't even allowed to say oh jeez when I was a kid because it sounded too much like Jesus. I was even spanked once for calling somebody a jerk, and that's not even a cuss-word for all I know.

But I think being raised in a strict environment caused me to look at other parents way they raise their kids.

I think too many parents are way too easy on their kids when they say inappropriate things, they seem to get away with it more than they used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,456 times
My husband and I were at a small town 4th of July celebration and some guy (around 20ish) walked by and said something not very nice. I wanted to ask him if he had ever been taught how to behave in public. I was glad I didn't have any children with me.

To answer you, no my daughter didn't talk like that in public (nor did I). I would have fallen over if she ever had.

Last edited by Mainer61; 09-07-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: answer questions

Old 09-07-2008, 06:36 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,513,919 times
I would have got my ass kicked! if I would have cussed in front of ...anybody!
I am glad, I had that fear! It made me a better person.
(sorry for saying ...Ass )
oop's I did it again!
Just kidding!

Okie

Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,196 times
once when i was at the mall in Flint, MI, and this little boy, probably 6 years old called his mom a "silly ho" and called her stupid right to her face. she and her friend just ignored it!

i hid my laughter. "silly ho". i mean, it's very very wrong, but that's just a funny grouping of words, and from a very odd source. in my defense, it caught me off guard!

the sad part is, he's probably hearing his dad or someone calling her those things, and is mimicking it.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,031 times
I'm not defending children using foul language one bit here, but some of the parents are to blame. Many parents use this kind of language all the time at home, and the children pick it up. They also pick it up at school of course, but when parents use it at home they shouldn't be surprised.

It's absolutely wrong for a child to use this kind of language at any time in my opinion, even more so when it's towards their parents. I also feel though it's wrong for adults to use this kind of language, especially out in public or when children are present.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,591 times
Kids pick up language around them. Most times they don't even understand the meaning. What they do understand is the reaction they get. Sometimes the best cure for potty-mouth is ignoring.

However, my girls would be told that it is an inappropriate word for them to use. In public, we probably would not say much more. It does depend on the situation and the tone and implication that the child conveyed.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Children who do not hear this language at home, cannot repeat it. In my house, no child would EVER use this kind of language...at least not more than once.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,977 times
When one of my cousins was little, she cussed constantly. We would all get her off where there were no adults, and have her cuss away. She was about 4. None of us had the nerve to cuss like that, and were amazed at all the words she knew. It wasn't until we grew up a little that we realized she learned all of them from her father. We were told to ignore the cussing, and it eventually stopped. She's grown now, and doesn't cuss much at all. When her sister was about 2, we used to make her say 'truck' all the time, for obvious reasons. She didn't know what she was doing though.

If my daughter ever cussed in public, I'd put a stop to it quickly. NO child should cuss.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Children who do not hear this language at home, cannot repeat it. In my house, no child would EVER use this kind of language...at least not more than once.

Sorry, I disagree. My child NEVER heard cussing at home, but HAS heard it in other places. She knows all the words, and knows not to use them.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
My son isn't even allowed to say "stupid" and similar words. Sometimes we slip and he catches us, but I use it as a learning moment. I tell him that he is right and that I am sorry. But I also reinforce that it is important to practice not saying these words when you are young so you don't get in the bad habit when you are older.

I get so upset sometimes when people swear around my older son. But then the other day, I was shopping with my younger son (22 mo.) in the same row as some teenagers. One of the guys said something and then a girl told him off, something to the effect of "watch your mouth, there is a kid here." I was very proud, unfortunately I didn't say anything...now if that would only happen around the child that can actually understand the words instead of the one that can't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting