Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times

Advertisements

I usually don't post articles, but this one really bothers me. Thoughts?

Helicopter parents—praising them -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-helicopters-0909sep09,0,6477989.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
When are those young adults supposed to be independent? When are they supposed to be responsible for themselves and what they do?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
My favorite line from the article is:

"but don't tell me not to get too involved. I wouldn't invest that money without making sure I was getting a good return."

Jeez!

My opinion. If she believes as a mother that she taught her kids life skills, instilled in them the correct morals and values she would be able to let them go to college without hovering. Otherwise, save the money and have them go to community college 1st two years. When they prove responsible pay for state or university.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
My favorite line from the article is:

"but don't tell me not to get too involved. I wouldn't invest that money without making sure I was getting a good return."

Jeez!

My opinion. If she believes as a mother that she taught her kids life skills, instilled in them the correct morals and values she would be able to let them go to college without hovering. Otherwise, save the money and have them go to community college 1st two years. When they prove responsible pay for state or university.
Great post.

How unfair for the college student to have a parent who will say "Here, go to college. Grow, explore, become your own person. Oh, by the way, here is how I want you to do it"....

There's a fine line. If your kid is drinking his days away at college & not applying himself in the way that was discussed prior to his departure, then, you need to step in. If your child is 5 yrs into a 4yr degree b/c he has flip flopped majors every semester, well, parental intervention was needed.

Other than that, it's sort of hands off.

If a parent doesn't like what their child is majoring in or what classes they are taking or how late they are out at night...don't offer your finances or cosign a loan.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I agree, there is involved and then INVOLVED. If your child asks for advice on which course would be better to take and you discuss pros and cons with your child--good, if you call the registrar and rearrange your child's schedule to the classes you want him to take-bad.

If your child calls you and asks for advice on how to talk to a professor that gave an unwarranted grade and you give a couple suggestions-good, if you call that professor and want to 'discuss' why junior got that grade-bad.

Maybe the issue does come down to money and perhaps some of that independence should be learned by helping pay for your own schooling??

Then it moves on to the work place and by gosh I spent $200,000 on my kid's education they by gosh better get a good job so I am going to send out resumes for my kid and make sure I call the place to set up interviews for that kid. Or WORSE, if junior doesn't get the job, call the person hiring and find out WHY junior didn't get the job. This has happened to my DH on a few occasions. His reply was "the fact that you are calling me right not pretty much tells me I made the right choice". They never get it.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Then it moves on to the work place and by gosh I spent $200,000 on my kid's education they by gosh better get a good job so I am going to send out resumes for my kid and make sure I call the place to set up interviews for that kid. Or WORSE, if junior doesn't get the job, call the person hiring and find out WHY junior didn't get the job. This has happened to my DH on a few occasions. His reply was "the fact that you are calling me right not pretty much tells me I made the right choice". They never get it.

Totally!!! There is nothing wrong with being involved (e.g., advising your children, being interested in their education), but being INVOLVED and calling the school, etc is inappropriate. I've had parents call me before and yell about grades..... generally it's little Susie who never showed to class, didn't turn in assignments because she was out with friends and then cried to her parents that I was unfair....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting