Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 AM

168 posts, read 672,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
When I called them neighbors maybe I should explain. They live next door. When we walk out to our cars, they are literally standing at theirs. Our driveways are next to each other.

It started like this...My daughter did not have her license for the first two weeks of school. We saw them getting into their car on the first day of school and the mother asked if my daughter would like to ride with them. She said okay and got in the car. We carpooled for the first two weeks and then my daughter got her license and car. It would have been weird not to offer for her to drive when we had been carpooling.

I didn't exactly throw my daughter under the bus here. She is not the shy type, we are just new to town. I think the parents know there is an issue with their daughter. She rode last year with a few others in the neighborhood and they will no longer take her because she made them late every day.
This isn't just about my budding friendship. It is just the neighborly thing to do. We are in a gas shortage here and everyone is trying to carpool.

I am going to talk to the other mother this afternoon and see if we can work something out. I just don't want to make enemies of the next door neighbors.

Thank you Veuvegirl. You completely understand where I am coming from.
Do keep us updated and in the loop, would you? I think we all wind up feeling protective of the children and our peers, their parents, who are suffering the consequences of social relationship problems. We hope we help; we pray for successful and benevolent resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Does your state allow teenagers to drive with passengers under 18?

Here in CA, that's illegal.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I don't understand why everyone involved doesn't just take the bus. Is it a public bus or a school bus? With the gas crisis, it doesn't make sense for teenagers to drive to school unless they regularly have something after school.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't understand why everyone involved doesn't just take the bus. Is it a public bus or a school bus? With the gas crisis, it doesn't make sense for teenagers to drive to school unless they regularly have something after school.
She has an after school job and has to go directly from school. She pays for her own gas and insurance.

Last night we had the Dad over for dinner. (Mom was out of town.). The daughter came over before going out and was very rude to her father. When she came home, she walked over as we were all outside. Again, very rude. He was obviously embarrassed at her behavior. My husband said, "well teenagers can be that way. She has not been very nice to our daughter either." The father asked what his daughter had done and so we took the opportunity to bring the subject up. He said he would have a little talk with her. I am hoping this helps, it could make it worse. I told my daughter and she said she told her Friday that if she left her door open one more time (she has done it twice) that she would need to find a new ride. The girl then slammed my daughter's car door closed. My daughter said, "look if you don't want to ride with me it's okay." The other girl just walked off.

We have decided to give it one more week. If she doesn't get any better I will just be honest with the couple. My daughter shouldn't have to ride with someone who is so nasty to her. We were all trying to be nice. Some people are so strange. I mean, how difficult is it to just be nice? It's only 3 1/2 miles or so to school.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Does your state allow teenagers to drive with passengers under 18?

Here in CA, that's illegal.
In NC they can only have one person under 18 that is not a family member in the car. So, she is legal driving this one girl.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
I would just call and say "So sorry, my daughter isn't able to drive your daughter anymore. It just isn't going to work." If you really feel uncomfortable, suggest your daughter leave for school a half hour early for a week or two, suggesting she has an early hour commitment and that is the reason she can no longer drive the neighbor's daughter. But, I for one, would not want to teach my daughter to put up with that kind of behavior and be so "used and abused!" Good luck!

Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 PM

58 posts, read 193,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
VBmom...
I'd just say something to the effect of "isn't it a shame the the girls didn't click like we hoped and since Sally really needs to be at school on time, it doesn't look like she'll be able to give Judy a ride any more."
Tactful and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
When I called them neighbors maybe I should explain. They live next door. When we walk out to our cars, they are literally standing at theirs. Our driveways are next to each other.

I didn't exactly throw my daughter under the bus here. She is not the shy type, we are just new to town. I think the parents know there is an issue with their daughter. She rode last year with a few others in the neighborhood and they will no longer take her because she made them late every day.
This isn't just about my budding friendship. It is just the neighborly thing to do. We are in a gas shortage here and everyone is trying to carpool.

I am going to talk to the other mother this afternoon and see if we can work something out. I just don't want to make enemies of the next door neighbors.
There are a couple points to address here: One; Neighborly thing to do, gas shortage, trying to carpool, vs. being treated badly, running late, etc.. Either put a stop to it, or don't complain.

Second and most important, are you absolutely certain that in your state, 16 year old kids can carry other kids in the car without a licensed adult? Here they can't. In some states your daughter would be in violation and could lose her license.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank morgan View Post
Tactful and to the point.

There are a couple points to address here: One; Neighborly thing to do, gas shortage, trying to carpool, vs. being treated badly, running late, etc.. Either put a stop to it, or don't complain.

Second and most important, are you absolutely certain that in your state, 16 year old kids can carry other kids in the car without a licensed adult? Here they can't. In some states your daughter would be in violation and could lose her license.
Yes, I am sure about the license thing. She can take one non family member under the age of 18 in her car.

I really didn't feel I was complaining. I was simply asking what others would do. I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing/nice thing. That's just me. I wouldn't call myself a doormat but I do like to do for others. I do however no when to say no.

As I stated before we had a talk with Dad on Fri night. He agreed to talk with his daughter and my daughter agreed to give it one more week.
As of this morning the other girl was outside waiting on my daughter. I am hoping that if everyone tries this will work out for all involved. If their daughter continues to be difficult, I will give her the boot. I feel like I have given her every opportunity to change her ways. I won't feel guilty if she can't.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 PM

513 posts, read 897,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I would just call and say "So sorry, my daughter isn't able to drive your daughter anymore. It just isn't going to work." If you really feel uncomfortable, suggest your daughter leave for school a half hour early for a week or two, suggesting she has an early hour commitment and that is the reason she can no longer drive the neighbor's daughter. But, I for one, would not want to teach my daughter to put up with that kind of behavior and be so "used and abused!" Good luck!
I agree, have the daughter leave earlier making it inconvenient on the other girl so she want to go anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting