Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:13 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times

Advertisements

Then the owner shouldn't be allowed to have a dog.

My son was 5 when he was attacked by a dalmatian. The owner never asked if my son was okay, just complained that the kids make too much noise playing and caused the dog to be upset. Fact is, the dog was kept outside year round, on a chain that reached about 18"-24" into the alley. That dog lunged at everyone who went by but no one would do anything about it.

Dogs are pack animals and should be part of a pack, or family. If you isolate a dog by keeping it outside on a chain, away from human contact or if you don't allow a dog to mingle with strangers regularly during its first several years, you're going to have an aggressive dog, regardless of the breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the discussions on pit bulls are very much like global warming.huck let me esplain to you why that dog chewed up your leg. huck let me esplain to you why that sunami leveled your house. its just a phase of nature.there really isn't any problem you just need to change your perceptions. there now, feel better?? i have been attacked by a mean dog. utterly unprovoked. the owner joked about it with his friends. little or no remorse at all.

i didn't look @ all of the posts, but I was wondering if there was one that asked if the baby did anything to provoke the dog.

Animals NEVER do ANYTHING wrong on their own. it's always some human's fault. even babies...., ridiculous.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
HAPPY VALLEY, Ore. -- A man rescued his daughter from an attack by a 90-pound pit bull that continued to attack, biting the man in several places Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Steven M. Hehr, 31, of Gladstone, and his daughter, Jayda Kempas, 7, were recovering Thursday as she waited to go into surgery for her injuries after the vicious attack that left them both injured and the dog dead, Strovink said.

Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland
I don't know. A Pit has a jaw strength of over 1000 psi. I hardly think that any human, even one hepped up on pure adrenaline would have the strength to dislodge such a dog from it's intended object (the little girl's leg). Likewise, wrestling the dog to the ground and putting him in a headlock seems far fetched at best. Dogs' heads are not put on skinny little necks like humans are. It all sounds quite contrived to me. Sorry.

Anyway, whatever the real story is, I'm glad nobody died.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have been attacked by a mean dog. utterly unprovoked. the owner joked about it with his friends. little or no remorse at all.
Me too. But nobody takes you seriously when it is a dachshund. Those are mean little dogs, bred to hunt BADGERS ok?????? Dang it hurt like heck too.

20yrsinBranson
Doxie hater

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 01-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
1000 PSI ? OMG. Its a dog not a Lion. Some people would believe anything

YouTube - Bite force competition. Pitbull, Rottweiler, and Shepherd. I had the original of the vid somewhere but cannot find it.

Always tragic to hear of anybody getting bitten by any breed or type of dog but unfortunately it is only going to get reported if it is this 'type' of breed.

Edited to add more vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZm037jPNgc The bulldog would be classed as a Pit by the media and most ppl

Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't know. A Pit has a jaw strength of over 1000 psi.
That's a myth. From the Urban Legends at understand-a-bull (Bolding mine)

Quote:
Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test.
Here are the results of all of the animals tested:

Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure

Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg.
A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Wild dogs: 310 lbs
Lions: 600 lbs
White sharks: 600 lbs
Hyenas: 1000 lbs
Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs
Crocodiles: 2500 lbs

There are so many myths surrounding this noble, loyal breed that I'm not sure if people will ever know the truth.

And did anyone figure out which dog in my picture gallery is the Pit Bull? For the person who guessed #10, no. Not 10. That's a Dogo Argentino.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post

i didn't look @ all of the posts, but I was wondering if there was one that asked if the baby did anything to provoke the dog.

Animals NEVER do ANYTHING wrong on their own. it's always some human's fault. even babies...., ridiculous.
Sorry to disappoint but no, no one has suggested that the dog was provoked.

Humans are responsible for poor breeding practices, for not socializing dogs properly, for neglecting or abusing their animals. Humans also misidentify breeds quite often. Further, this thread illustrates that humans believe inaccurate information i.e. propaganda, myths and lies, when it comes to specific breeds of dog.

But no one has mentioned that the dog may have been provoked. Except you.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
That's a myth. From the Urban Legends at understand-a-bull (Bolding mine)

There are so many myths surrounding this noble, loyal breed that I'm not sure if people will ever know the truth.

And did anyone figure out which dog in my picture gallery is the Pit Bull? For the person who guessed #10, no. Not 10. That's a Dogo Argentino.
Ok, I stand corrected. 300 PSI then. I still cannot imagine prying a dogs jaws open with your fingers that has 300 psi either. I would think that it would be next to impossible. I saw (with my own eyes) a video where they were trying to get a dog off of another dog and they had a SCREWDRIVER between it's jaws trying to pry them apart and cound not do it.

I am not saying that PBT are naturally like this. The dog in the video was bred and taught to fight, that is all it knew. But I am saying that these are mighty strong dogs.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
A trained dog you would not have to pry its jaws open. Thats the point of many ppls posts.
Maybe the dog was faught, abused I dunno. That would make it less likely if it thinks ppl are abusive. No breed or type of dog automatically wants to go out and attack people. It is either bad upbringing, abuse or they were trained to do so.

As I said it is a tragic situaion for anybody to be bitten by any dog.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ok, I stand corrected. 300 PSI then. I still cannot imagine prying a dogs jaws open with your fingers that has 300 psi either. I would think that it would be next to impossible. I saw (with my own eyes) a video where they were trying to get a dog off of another dog and they had a SCREWDRIVER between it's jaws trying to pry them apart and cound not do it.

I am not saying that PBT are naturally like this. The dog in the video was bred and taught to fight, that is all it knew. But I am saying that these are mighty strong dogs.

20yrsinBranson
We rescued a Pit Bull that had been neglected and consequently had food aggression which we didn't know at first; our own Pit Bull does not. The rescued Pit was also younger and smaller than our dog. The rescued dog attacked ours and they both had hold of each other. I totally trust my dog but I was naturally cautious of the rescued Pit.

With my son's help, we separated the dogs. I used a break stick on the rescued pit; my son held our dog and I ordered her to let go. She did. It was a harrowing 30 seconds or so, no doubt. Nevertheless, with all the growling and the fighting, neither dog showed any aggression toward my son or me. And both dogs loved playing together as long as there was no food around.

Anyone who owns a Pit should probably have a break stick in case of a dog fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting