Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times

Advertisements

I would NEVER leave my kid with a male unless it was a family member or close friend I had known for years. However, I would allow a female based on references (close of course) and meeting and background check. It is just a fact that males commit more sexual crimes against YOUNG children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Depends on the person. I have a gf whose son is 16 and during the week, he babysits for the whole neighborhood. He is a good kid with good parents that I know and trust and he babysits to make a little extra money to pay his car payment every month. I would never hire a male that I did not know extremely well but I would not hire a female that I did not know extremely well either.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,352 times
So this is some ridiculously sexist stuff, right here.

Like, to the point where it's almost insulting.

After reading the threads on this Parenting subforum, I started thinking maybe babysitting would be a good way to pick up some spare change. I love taking care of my girlfriend's nephew.

But, I'm a guy and that means I molest kids. Gotta find a woman to raise a child.

Who here would let a black man watch their children?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I would NEVER leave my kid with a male unless it was a family member or close friend I had known for years. However, I would allow a female based on references (close of course) and meeting and background check. It is just a fact that males commit more sexual crimes against YOUNG children.
Isn't it a fact that sexual abuse most often occurs with the perpetrator being a family member and/or close, trusted friend or neighbor? link
But I know it feels a little awkward hiring a boy.
When they were little, my boys briefly had a teenage boy babysitter.
He did come with references, he was their absolute favorite sitter. He just was fun, he was a boy and knew what they liked. However, he was hard to get, I think he was becoming busy with other activities, and eventually we settled on a teenage girl who was more available.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
So this is some ridiculously sexist stuff, right here.

After reading the threads on this Parenting subforum, I started thinking maybe babysitting would be a good way to pick up some spare change. I love taking care of my girlfriend's nephew.

But, I'm a guy and that means I molest kids. Gotta find a woman to raise a child.

Everyone has a the right to there opinion. Rather than being "sexist" I'm only expressing a rational fear. Most girls prefer to take care of children rather than boys. As steriotypical as it sounds, males do "dirty" work more often. I find it strange when a boy/man wants to work with children. I'm sorry, that is just how I feel. You can't pick and choose the factors that make up you "malesness." So, if guys want to start babysitting and taking more "female" roles, then you can give up getting paid more on the job, looking at females in magazines and on the street, and we expect you to go the movies with us more and see our love story movies.

Who here would let a black man watch their children?
I would let a black man watch my children If the family knew him. I hear more about white men commiting "crazy" crimes, like burning people in tubs of acid (Geoffry Dommer) and black men commit more crimes that have to do with the demographics in which they usually have no controll over.

Excuse my spelling. I have a 4.0 GPA in college, take honor classes and can hardly spell my own name

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 AM

[quote=saturdayskids;6401119]So this is some ridiculously sexist stuff, right here.

Everyone has a the right to there opinion. Rather than being "sexist" I'm only expressing a rational fear. Most girls prefer to take care of children rather than boys. As steriotypical as it sounds, males do "dirty" work more often. I find it strange when a boy/man wants to work with children. I'm sorry, that is just how I feel. You can't pick and choose the factors that make up you "malesness." So, if guys want to start babysitting and taking more "female" roles, then you can give up getting paid more on the job, looking at females in magazines and on the street, and we expect you to go the movies with us more and see our love story movies.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Isn't it a fact that sexual abuse most often occurs with the perpetrator being a family member and/or close, trusted friend or neighbor? link
But I know it feels a little awkward hiring a boy.
When they were little, my boys briefly had a teenage boy babysitter.
He did come with references, he was their absolute favorite sitter. He just was fun, he was a boy and knew what they liked. However, he was hard to get, I think he was becoming busy with other activities, and eventually we settled on a teenage girl who was more available.

I have no idea how I used your quote as my own post

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,860 times
I also have 3 boys now 14 13 and 12 My oldest bbsits! I felt better having a male sitter when they were younger than a fmale! I don't really know why I just thought he was mature enough and got a long well with the kids and the kids didnt like girls! But I think that is normal

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
I am so glad people are being HONEST in this discussion!

Miasmommy-Just curious... since you find it strange about males taking more female roles...I guess you wouldn't like a male teacher for your child, or a male nurse? Those are traditionally female jobs. Now, I know that really doesn't have to do with babysitting its just that you brought up traditional MALE roles. Just wanted your take on it.

Some of you have brought up the point that males could possibly molest your child if they were babysitting.

This statement really bothers me because yes I realize statistically males molest more than females,but FEMALES do it also. I think you just need to be cautious of ANYONE that has access to your child.

The topic is going right where I felt it would . No matter what people will still feel males SHOULDN"T watch kids and if they do they are strange, weird, etc.

Also, people DO NOT TRUST males to care for their children.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
I am so glad people are being HONEST in this discussion!

Miasmommy-Just curious... since you find it strange about males taking more female roles...I guess you wouldn't like a male teacher for your child, or a male nurse? Those are traditionally female jobs. Now, I know that really doesn't have to do with babysitting its just that you brought up traditional MALE roles. Just wanted your take on it.

Some of you have brought up the point that males could possibly molest your child if they were babysitting.

This statement really bothers me because yes I realize statistically males molest more than females,but FEMALES do it also. I think you just need to be cautious of ANYONE that has access to your child.

The topic is going right where I felt it would . No matter what people will still feel males SHOULDN"T watch kids and if they do they are strange, weird, etc.

Also, people DO NOT TRUST males to care for their children.
My answer is purely personal! I feel comfortable with male teachers, seeing as more than half are males today! Back in "Anne of Grean Gables" time, it was women, but not even close to recently!

As for nurses, I will let "Meet the Parents" do the talking. Gaylord was a normal guy I guess, but.....LOL!

Most men in a nurse setting are doing the "heavy" work. The male nurses do lifting alot more often than spongebaths.

Working with children is different than those examples.

I love my husband because he is a man. I enjoy that he is strong, works hard, can lift me over his head, could protect me in a dangerous setting and he watches football and eats bacon alot, LOL again!

My father/stepfather and brothers are the same. I would find it strange if they wanted to watch small children instead.

Now, if it is a career, again let me add that it is different. However, babysitting is different than a nanny. A nanny devotes themselves to that specific career.

It is and always will be in my eyes, along with the majority, strange for a yound man to WANT to babysit over other jobs.

I'm sorry if it offends you, it's just my heart talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting