Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:35 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times

Advertisements

When I see them being used in a shopping mall or DisneyWorld or an airport, I don't bat an eye or think anything of it. I also wouldn't think anything of it pretty much anywhere when I see a mom with several young kids with their toddler on a "leash".

When I see two parents walking with one toddler on a leash in the park, though, I admit I shudder a little. I mean really, there are two of them, can't they keep track of their one small child in a safe area (meaning no cars, no loose dogs, no crowds, etc)?

Yeah, it's petty and I'm probably just being judgemental, and no, I've never had a child abducted or even a child who would run away, given the chance... but those are my first thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Never had one but there sure were times when I could have used one. When my oldest were really little they weren't really "in" yet and you rarely saw them. I see people using them everywhere now.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,821 times
I think they're a wonderful invention and the little ones are still able to have their hands free to explore! I think my Mom had one for me when I was a tot...and I'm now 40!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
What do you think of those toddler leashes you see sometimes at the mall or other places?

I saw one yesterday that was a stuffed monkey and doubled as a backpack, with the tail as the leash.

I thought it was cute and a good way to keep a kid out of trouble. Any thoughts?

Here's a pic of the monkey one.
The Harness Buddy is both a harness and backpack.

Leashes are not just for dogs: children & safety
I used one more than 20 years ago when my firstborn was a toddler - it was one sure way to give him some freedom but to always keep him safe. He teases me mercilessly now that he found out about it (apparently he didn't remember it until he saw a photograph) but it's all good - he's a grown up now and never became a statistic

Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,510 times
They were fantastic for me. 3 kids in 5 years. Travelled a lot and they were great in the airports!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I think they are great for all the reasons mentioned. Many years ago (mid-late 60s), my mom had one for my younger sister. We lived overseas and traveled so were sometimes in train stations etc. She remembers being scolded by strangers telling her she would cause her daughter to get confused as to whether she was a child or a dog! LOL!!

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-04-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM

370 posts, read 1,015,959 times
I don't really know. I still cringe when I see it, but I can understand why it's useful.

It worries me that the parent who uses something like this might get into a habit of over-controlling the child as it matures.

So, I don't really support leashes. Only if your child is very rambunctious and doesn't listen to you, and you know it. If your child listens to you and doesn't always run away from you or anything, just have confidence in yourself and your kid.

Can you imagine what it's like to be the kid? Think back to your childhood, think really really hard. Imagine now, to be almost excited to go home so you could get off of your leash. I wouldn't want anything like that clogging up good memories like going to the zoo or anything. How can a kid really enjoy the zoo when he's reminded that he's entirely restricted all the time, which presumably might make him want to act up more.

*shrug* I still don't have a very strong opinion either way, but I can't say that I plan on doing this when I have a child. Families have survived for eternity without leashes, and hopefully all of us have grown up without a leash around our bodies. Disregarding it because of their age just because it makes you feel better is... eh.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
We've used one with our oldest, who is now a preschooler. It comes in really handy in the airport, especially now that we have a younger kid in the stroller. Not only do you worry about abductions, but you worry about them just plain getting lost amidst the hustle and bustle. And, yes, for many years mankind has gotten by without them, but why turn your back on a useful item that gives you some peace of mind.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 PM

193 posts, read 842,761 times
I honestly was always one of those people who kind of rolled my eyes when i saw parents with their kids on leashes. But not anymore. I will admit they are not the most attractive thing in the world, and they do look a bit weird, but 2 year olds will manuver their way out of your hands in a heart beat. My best friend called me freaking out because she had her newborn baby in carseat in shopping cart, and when she let her two year old down holding his hand, he got away and started darting across target parking lot. She had to make the dicision to go after him and leave baby in the cart. She was alomost in tears, and saying now i know why parents do the leash thing. So I will never roll my eyes when I see kids on leashes.
As for the zoo thing someone else mentioned. By the time you are old enough to have memories of the zoo i dont think they will still be on a leash. Atleast I hope not.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,839 times
I have never used one on any of my two kids and I don't think I would, although, I did briefly consider it at one time. I just have a very hard time placing my child on a leash, so to speak. I know it's not a dog leash that goes around the neck or anything, but still...there is something about it that bothers me and I could never bring myself to do. To each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting