Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

The only thing surprising about this law is that we heard about it in advance, not that we can do anything about it. It is a perfect illustration of how laws are made in this country. They are made in the middle of the night, in rooms that would be smoke-filled if that wasn't against the law, and you wake up in the morning and discover that something you always took for granted is now against the law. People treat the law like the weather---as if you can't do anything about it. Welcome to America. You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Pathetic

Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I am so confused. How the heck can clothing and hand-made items be included in this law? this is absolutely outrageous! I do not understand how lead-based paint could be a concern w/ a diaper bag I may make and sell online!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
My wife is aquainted with a lady who makes cloth diapers and sells them online. If this goes into affect she's got to have them tested. Mostly they are white and to test a sample it will cost $1500. But if she continues making more than just white like she has in the past each color will have to be tested separately at the same cost.

Sounds like the testing labs are going to clean house on this deal if it goes through.

Question: How in god's name can they test library books? I mean do they test every book???? Randomly test one book from every shelf? What? Sounds like an impossible feat really.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
NARTS - CPSIA Resources (http://narts.org/CPSIA_Info.htm - broken link)

For more info... background... answers...

Why is lead poisoning a concern? Read:

Alliance for Healthy Homes - Lead Poisoning
Lead Poisoning

National Safety Council - Lead Poisoning
Lead Poisoning - NSC

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
National Center for Environmental Health | Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention - Home Page | CDC

U.S. Department of Housing and Lead Hazard Control
Welcome to the Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control - HUD

The removal of lead from products that we - mainly our young children - can come into contact with in our everyday lives in not a new thing. It's been a gradual process which, I think, began back in the 70's when they banned lead-based paint?

Wikipedia actually has some good info about it:
Lead poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I am happy to hear that they are going to exempt clothing.

For goodness sakes, I doubt my daughter's used (often bought by me used already off of ebay) gymboree clothing is going to poison anyone.

With 3 boys, I buy the oldest new, high quality clothing, to survive handing down, but for my daughter, I count on buying the cute stuff as resale or being able to recoup some of the cost of new by reselling it myself.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I'm glad...The fact they made it a law SHOWS how serious this is.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
I think the gov. is overreaching with this law. Many parents are already stretched thin financially, secondhand toys/clothes really helps them out. So what are they supposed to do now that this law threatens the stores that make it easier to clothe their children? I guess now they can't buy those lightly used toddler jeans for $1... they'll have to go to a store like Target and buy a pair of jeans for $7. Considering how fast kids blow threw clothes, secondhand stuff is godsend for the poor and working class in general.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Do what all the real poor people do..(Not cash poor.) Deal with it. The gift of health is priceless and that is worth more than some cheap used toy they wont care about in 6 months but the lead will still be in the system doing brain, kidney and nerve damage.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Like other bad laws, it will probably be generally ignored and not enforced. Where woudl they get money to enforce this anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting