Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:53 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
We have parties both at home and elsewhere (i.e. Park, Bowling alley, McDonalds) we usually average 10-15 party guests at each party, not counting family. If I am doing a party at home I plan all sorts of games or craft projects that the kids can play and do. Same thing if I am doing it at a park. We have done pinatas, pin the tail, obstacle courses, water balloons, dying t-shirts, scavenger hunts (kids really love that), making masks, refrigerator magnets, color pics., dress up, sleep overs, sledding, swimming...etc. You name it we probably have done it. We have even done the combonation of starting elsewhere and ending at the house. Our parties usually last around 2-3 hours unless there is a sleep over involved. I try and keep the number of kids sleeping over equal, counting the B-day child. It seems like if there is an odd number someone is always feeling left out.

I have been hosting or helping with B-day parties for over 20 years (didn't really start having other party guests besides family til the kids were at least in pre-school) and I still have plenty of more years to go, being that my youngest is 8yo. and I have a 2 yo. grandbaby with more granababies to come some day.

Most the time I don't mind having the parties at home. But there have been a few times that I just don't want to deal with a mess at my house. But so far we have been lucky and most of the kids are pretty good and not really messy.

Sounds like you know how to have fun - 20 years experience in throwing b-day parties, and counting!

We've been having family birthday parties so far, but with children starting school and befriending people we'll have to expand. I can't wait to have one at our home! Yes, the house is small just like others said here - but we'll employ outdoors. The tree house alone will provide fun for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Sounds like you know how to have fun - 20 years experience in throwing b-day parties, and counting!

We've been having family birthday parties so far, but with children starting school and befriending people we'll have to expand. I can't wait to have one at our home! Yes, the house is small just like others said here - but we'll employ outdoors. The tree house alone will provide fun for a long time.
It is fun holding or hosting parties most times. It's a lot of fun and I get quality time with my kids planning what activities, themes, decorations and where we will have the party. Sometimes we have to get really creative and we make a lot of the decorations. It's another good way for my kids to use their imagination and excersize their artistic talents.

I'm sure that your kids and their party guests will totally enjoy the treehouse. We don't have a treehouse, but we do employ the backyard or outdoors as much as possible. All but one of my kiddos have their B-days in the late summer/early fall so the weather is usually still nice. The one who is the exception is in Jan. so sometimes the weather is not always nice, but we did try and employ the outdoors as often as we could. (he's now 18)

Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
For summer birthdays, we've done them at home. For the winter kids though-we usually went somewhere, Mcd's or whatever. Until now, we've had small homes/apts, so no room for tons of kids inside. We are moving into our house next week and I might try a party there for my March b-day kid! We have space now.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
My child's birthday parties have both been at our home, and I foresee them continuing to be. Though she is only 2, most of the birthday parties that she has attended have been at other locations besides the homes. She has only one friend who also had parties at home like we did. At this age, I don't think it has anything to do with the kids and their expectations - heck, they barely even know they are having a birthday party! It seems more to do with the parents' expectations to me.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
We did both of our children's birthday parties at an indoor playland because we wanted them to be able to invite their entire school class and it didn't sound fun to have 18-20 four year olds or six year olds in our house at the same time.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
The last party we had was a home birthday party for the 13 year old.

Got woken up in the middle of the night by one girl just walking in the bedroom (no knocking) and saying she was letting us know she had called her mom to come get her cause she was homesick.

At least I didn't have to drive her!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
The last party we had was a home birthday party for the 13 year old.

Got woken up in the middle of the night by one girl just walking in the bedroom (no knocking) and saying she was letting us know she had called her mom to come get her cause she was homesick.

At least I didn't have to drive her!
ROFLOL, at least you weren't otherwise occupied!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
LOL-Thank God!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
We have a 2 bedroom condo, so we usually have it in the park or at the community pool in our complex for space. When we move into a house this summer, you can bet we'll be having them at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting