Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,969 times

Advertisements

Yesterday we celebrated my daughter's FIFTH Birthday with her friends. It was tough to narrow the list down to 16 children! I have a BFF who has three kids I consider family we had to invite... my two kids- that took FIVE right there.... then we have three neighbors (one of which is in her pre-school class).... She has 18 kids in her class and she is one of those kids who is friends with EVERYONE!!!!!! HOW DO YOU NARROW IT DOWN We had a tough time!

It was her first party and really she loves playing with the boys just as much as the girls. I thought I was being sneaky and doing things on the down low by doing it on the last day of school.... so there wasn't so much drama about who wasn't invited. But those FIVE Year Olds sure do talk!!!! Not my little one because I drilled it into her not to... but she would get into the car after school and tell me how the kids at school were all talking about it!!!! I didn't even hand out the invites until a week and half ago. So, at the party some of the parents were saying there was DRAMA at the class picnic earlier that afternoon (thank goodnes I didn't hear about it there!!!!) between the PARENTS because their kids didn't get invited!!!! Like I am made of $MONEY$.... I did it at a local establishment that my daughter really wanted and the limit was 16 kids.... what was I supposed to do??? She isn't going to Kindergarten with these other kids and YES I feel horrible I couldn't invite everyone.... but again it would have been WAY too expensive!!!

My other daughter always had JUST Girls at her party and that is so much easier to explain and no feeling are hurt.... the boys usually undersand that. But Co-ed parties seem to hurt more feelings since you can't invite EVERYONE!!! In the end, I guess all that matters is SHE had the time of her life and a smile was GLUED that little face of her's the entire time! All the kids had a blast! It really was great and summer is here. I am glad I did it and now school is over and we don't have to worry about it until next year..... but what to do next year

What do you all do for birthdays?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,939,739 times
When my kids were little we did the big party thing with somewhere between 15-20 kids. Now that they are older they tend to want to do one special thing with a few friends.

And we did not invite every kid in the class. A party is time to celebrate with friends. My kids would invite kids from the neighborhood, school, and sports and usually just a few from each.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 22,903 times
I had a party for my 2 younger boys together. They did not mind. When they get older I will not be able to do this. I had it at a local park. We rented their recreation building. I rented ponies and the kids played in the park. I did not go over board with food. Pizza and juice boxes. It was $125 for the park building 25 was refundable if it was all cleaned up. They gave me the key the night before to decorate which was nice of them. For the day of the party there was no time limit. The ponies were the same price and I had them for 2 hours. I think all in all it was a pretty good deal.

I would not worry. Your daughter had a great time. I agree with Momma Bear. A party is a time to share with friends.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,436,291 times
My oldest isn't yet 4, so I haven't had to deal with this yet. But, it's coming. A friend of mine told me she always plans their family vacation during her oldest child's (now 6) birthday. They all like Disney World, so it gets them there and her out of having to deal with what you went through. But, she's not sure how long she can keep this up before he catches on - is just hoping by then he'll be happy with just a few close friends and no super large parties.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
My oldest isn't yet 4, so I haven't had to deal with this yet. But, it's coming. A friend of mine told me she always plans their family vacation during her oldest child's (now 6) birthday. They all like Disney World, so it gets them there and her out of having to deal with what you went through. But, she's not sure how long she can keep this up before he catches on - is just hoping by then he'll be happy with just a few close friends and no super large parties.
WOW that is an expensive Bday gift!!! I guess if they can afford it that is great.... but I really can't.... I will have to opt for the $200 birthday bash

I just got a rep saying it should be the same # of Kids as the age of the kid.... what do you all think about that???

Old 06-13-2009, 12:00 PM

841 posts, read 4,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
WOW that is an expensive Bday gift!!! I guess if they can afford it that is great.... but I really can't.... I will have to opt for the $200 birthday bash

I just got a rep saying it should be the same # of Kids as the age of the kid.... what do you all think about that???
I grew up with that rule. I didn't know any better so I was okay with it.
My oldest son's 7th birthday party sounded similar to your daughter's 5th, but without the drama. We invited about 12 kids from his class (invitations were mailed to their houses, not passed out at school). Even that many kids in my house was too stressful for me. I don't like big parties for kids.

I told both of my boys that from now on they can invite 3 of their best friends (boys and girls, I don't believe in sex segregation) and we can go to a laser tag place, have them over for pizza, whatever as long as it's only 3 friends.

Good luck to you. Either way, we can't please everyone, even thought we'd like to.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,756,606 times
My problem was the opposite. My dd is super shy and I didn't know which kids would actually show up.
We invited every kid in her pre-school (18) plus siblings and about 12-14 kids were at the party. We did one of those jumping places that charge $7.00 extra per kid after the firs 16. The entire thing costs us around $200.
She had a great time so it was worth it.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
My problem was the opposite. My dd is super shy and I didn't know which kids would actually show up.
We invited every kid in her pre-school (18) plus siblings and about 12-14 kids were at the party. We did one of those jumping places that charge $7.00 extra per kid after the firs 16. The entire thing costs us around $200.
She had a great time so it was worth it.
This was the same party we just had and it was a HUGE HIT! And run really well- no stress and the kids are well contained. My 6 yo wants to do it in the fall for her party now. But she always wants JUST GIRLS... she is still into that boys are yucky stage. Fine by me... I did find it makes the party easier to explain since usually I don't have to compete with the numbers in her class that way.

The other thing I found that makes it easier is the e-vites... I love them! That way you don't have to hand the invites out at school either!!! My oldest has a rule that you cannot hand out invites at school and I think that is great.

Anyway I liked that I waited until the end of the school year so she didn't have to hear about the drama of who was invited and who wasn't at school. Her actual birthday was about 3 weeks ago but that doesn't seem to bother her. I won't be able to do that next year because the end of the school year is over a month after her actual birtday.... oh well...

Old 06-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,154,436 times
Sounds like your daughter had a great time.

It's funny, when my kids were little, we did birthday parties out. Now my youngest is 13 & she has done sleepovers & will have a pool party this year.

Out is more expensive but easier!

Old 06-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Sounds like your daughter had a great time.

It's funny, when my kids were little, we did birthday parties out. Now my youngest is 13 & she has done sleepovers & will have a pool party this year.

Out is more expensive but easier!
I have done both... and I have to say... it might be a bit less expenive... BUT I would totally pay the bit I save to go out and not have the STRESS or the clean up LOL.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting