Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,857 times

Advertisements

Ok, I don't have any children myself.... but my best friend has a little boy that is like 10 months old. Ever since he was about 4-5 months she's been taking him to Gymboree classes..... is it worth the money to take a baby that small to those classes???

And I'm not totally familiar with Gymboree.... what's the point of it exactly>????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
For me it was to have a fun activity for my son, meet new friends and get out of the house!! I don't know if it has any benefits in particular, but loved going to Gymboree.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
If your friend finds value in going... well, then that's all that matters!

Did you talk to her, ask her?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Me and my oldest son took a class when he was about a year, i think. He was the only one not yet walking-a point the other mothers made sure to mention at least three times a class. And the other moms were so old LOL. I suppose I'm closer to their ages now, as my oldest is a high school junior now. Anyhow, we didn't think it was all that much fun, and never took another with him or any or my other kids. It was also $$$.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM

841 posts, read 4,840,288 times
To each her own. Some moms love Gymboree, others don't.
Personally I couldn't stand it. It was just much too contrived and structured for me. I hated the songs they sung, the general fake perkiness of everyone. It was 6-8 weeks of torture for me.
Having said that, my little two year old at the time seemed to like it. But I just couldn't go back after that first session.
We signed up for swimming lessons at the YMCA instead.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
It's way too expensive, but if you want to shell out the cash, then go for it. I never liked the way it was structured. I found better mom-baby classes through our local recreation centers.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
Ok, I don't have any children myself.... but my best friend has a little boy that is like 10 months old. Ever since he was about 4-5 months she's been taking him to Gymboree classes..... is it worth the money to take a baby that small to those classes???

And I'm not totally familiar with Gymboree.... what's the point of it exactly>????
Why don't you ask her why she does it?

Ask her what goes on & how her child responds.

Why are you so concerned about it?

It's a fee-based structured play center for children. Some parents swear by it. Some find it very expensive & too contrived & fake as the above poster stated. I found the cost of $350 for 16 weeks to be #1) very expensive #2) way too long b/c you have to pay the $350 & you cannot make up classes that are missed. My SIL absolutely loved it for her children. To each their own.

Every parent has different reasons for doing things with each child Once or if you become a parent, you will be able to comprehend this statement. Plus, you'll be too busy with your children to really worry what others are doing.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Why don't you ask her why she does it?

Ask her what goes on & how her child responds.

Why are you so concerned about it?

It's a fee-based structured play center for children. Some parents swear by it. Some find it very expensive & too contrived & fake as the above poster stated. I found the cost of $350 for 16 weeks to be #1) very expensive #2) way too long b/c you have to pay the $350 & you cannot make up classes that are missed. My SIL absolutely loved it for her children. To each their own.

Every parent has different reasons for doing things with each child Once or if you become a parent, you will be able to comprehend this statement. Plus, you'll be too busy with your children to really worry what others are doing.

I'm not CONCERNED........ I was WONDERING........ there's a difference. Is it a crime to question things nowadays?????????

The reason I WONDERED is because to ME the child seemed too YOUNG to go to a class like that........ 4-5 months of age?????? at Gymboree????? It doesn't seem like it would do the kid much good if you ask me.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
I think some of the reasons that some moms do it is because it's a way for them to learn how to excercise their baby. Some new moms don't have the luxury have having a parent or mentor around to show them the types of good excercise for baby. It is very beneficial to exercise the baby as it helps build muscles and keeps blood circulating properly.

Others probably do it as others have stated to get out of the house and make new friends that you have something in common with. Some mothers are the first of their friends to have babies and it's hard to talk to their friends about the things the baby does or doesn't do, because the friends aren't parents themselves and have no idea what to say or do. When you have a baby, it seems as if your world revolves around them. I'm sure you have noticed it with your friend from time to time, talking about all the cute things the kiddo did and does, talking about the good the bad and the ugly. I bet a lot of her conversations somehow include her child somewhere.

Some probably do it as a way to keep up with the "Joneses" or because they think it's what you are supposed to do because so-n-so is doing it.

I myself never joined a Gymboree or any Baby and Me classes. I did think about joining a Gym or finding some Time for Me classes, but that is a whole nother subject. I did plenty of excersising baby because I had someone to teach me how. I had plenty of girfriends who were parents so I had people I could talk to about kids. I also had plenty of Baby and Me time being a stay at home mom so I never had a need to join Gymboree or Baby and Me classes.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
4-5 months of age?????? at Gymboree????? It doesn't seem like it would do the kid much good if you ask me.
Did your friend ask you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting