Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Even if I agreed with NOT having a party this size (which I can't decide) I'm not much of a "put my foot down" kind of person

I always try to make EVERYONE happy (including me, my husband and of course my daughter first)

I got half of me feeling like a bad mother if I don't throw her a party and have all her little baby cousins there, and the other half agrees that it would be so nice to enjoy her with just grammys and grandpas.

I think I'm going to have the bday party. I think I'm going to attempt to limit to 30 people, if I can. And I'm greatly considering putting the "no gifts only hugs" on the invite. And if a handful STILL insist, then I will mention some stuff. I really would like her to have a pass to the zoo though. With work and school and bills and blah blah blah (I know everyone has the same stuff going on) we have so little money or time to plan anything. At least with a pass, I could just scoop her up and take her!!! She LOVES animals!!!!

We got her a fish tank from the salvation army and are going to take her to Walmart to pick some goldfish out! She's going to love it! And it only cost us like 12 bucks!!

Well the day will come when you have to put your foot down...for something... We did the fish thing too...Those fish lived for dang year...we ended up taking them back to the fish store and told them we were moving. I did not have the heart to flush them...But they were like decaying in the tank...and they stunk so bad...I am just not a fish person, and i ended up taking care of them...

I remember feeling bad about my DD's first bday. We lived away from home and had nobody to celebrate with...But honestly, it was the best one yet. At 1 they don't even know it is their birthday...Take advantage of that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:36 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
For both of my daughter's first birthday they got some gifts from relatives and I bought them a big beach ball. They loved it. Don't know what to tell ya about relatives.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
If you're doing to put on a dog and pony show, you'll have graciously accept the gifts that go along with it.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
My friend is having a bday for her sons 1st bday. She sends me a pix msg saying im making a registry at toys r us right now. in the pix hes on some tricycle, then she says this is his favorite. And to check out the items online of things I could get him. She then the following day asks me did I see his wish list of things he picked out all on his own. Ya on his own what a joke, because he touched it he wants it, right. and he cant even talk yet. A couple of days before this she makes it sound like she just wants me to come to see me and not to worry about gifts. Now it sounds more like a gift grab for her. I go online the favorite toy is almost 100 dollars including tax. all the other gifts are 20 bucks and up. I did get her allot, and I mean allot of things for her baby shower and even the cakes too. NOT MANY SHOWEDUP PROBABLY BECAUSE ITEMS ON HER REGISTRY WERE 60 BUCKS AND UP TO 300. but I had more to spend then and now I have a tough situation and I need every cent I have to fix my situation which she kinda knows about but doesnt really seem to care. I need advice, she is the kind of person who tries to get all she can and personally I think shes a sponge and uses everyone. DO I TELL HER I CANT AFFORD A BUNCH OF THINGS EVEN THO SHE THINKS I CAN? DO I TELL HER TO NOT INCLUDE WISH LIST IN INVITATIONS SO PEOPLE WILL COME? OR LET HER FIGURE IT OUT ON HER OWN WHEN HER PARTY IS NOT A SUCCESS. SHOULD I EVEN SHOWUP BECAUSE AT THIS POINT I FEEL LIKE SHE JUST WANTS ME TO SHOW UP SO SHE CAN GET THINGS OUT OF ME INSTEAD OF CELEBRATING A BDAY.
ANOTHER THING SHE WASTES MONEY ON HERSELF FOR STUPID THINGS. SHE NEEDS CERTAIN SUPPLEMENTS TO HELP HER HEALTH. I TELL HER WHAT THEY ARE AND THEN TELL HER SHE CAN FIND LOW QUANTITYS BUT GOOD QUALITY OF IT AT THE CHEAP STORE. SHE THEN SAYS I CANT FIND ANY OF THEM.. BASICALLY SAYING TO ME TO GO GET THEM FOR HER AND MAIL THEM OUT TO HER. SO THATS AND EXAMPLE OF THE KIND OF PERSON SHE IS. advice please... thanks Brittany M

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times
A.) I just would not have that many guests for a 1 year old's birthday party unless there is NO way you can scale back. I think it would be overwhelming for the kid & cost a fortune.
B.) IMO - i find registries for this presumptive. If grandma & grandpa ask - then give them suggestions so you might not get unwanted stuff.

I think the "donate to charity parties" are a great idea, however I am not opposed to gift giving either. I put "no gift needed" on my kids & a few people always bring gifts anyway & that is fine because they did so on their own accord. It also allows friends/family to come & be included even if they do not have the means to bring a gift.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
I don't think you should register for a 1 yr old's birthday party. People should be left to buy whatever they wish and spend however much they want to spend. If you don't like something they buy just return it. Or when they ask you could say you would prefer gift certificates.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,180 times
I would have no problem telling my mom or sister what to get for my child IF they asked. I tell them every year. I know how much money the each want to spend so I know what to ask for. I would not feel OK telling anyone else what to buy. I think a registery sounds greedy. I do like the idea of writing on the invitation no gifts needed, but if you want to give something a book would be wonderful.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,149 times
What does a 1 year old needs that the parents can't buy themselves???? Having a registry for a birthday party is all about materialism especially a 1 year old.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
No do not have a registry-that is crazy- let them get what they feel is appropriate

Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM

556 posts, read 798,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Everyone (husband and I both have HUGE families, 100 people invited to party) has asked what to get my daugher for her birthday. We have a VERY small house, and I mean SMALL!!!! I'm very particular what my child plays with for that reason. Plus, I'd rather educational toys than mindless crapola! Quality over quanitity/size is my motto (and probably alot of parents)

I also thought to add to the "possible list" a pass to the local zoo or gift certificates to the gymboree, since she enjoys it so much but I can't afford it.

What are your thoughts on whether or not it is appropriate to register somewhere or make a list and send to the grandparents, especially since everyone has asked?
I've made registries for Christmas and birthdays ever since my oldest had his second Christmas. I DON'T advertise the registry though. The reason I started was because his first Christmas my MIL kept asking what she should get him. I gave her a few ideas and I also told her what NOT to get because me and my husband were getting these certain items. Come Christmas, guess what? She got him the 3 big items that I told her my husband and I were giving him! So now I do a registry, when I buy something it comes off the list, when she buys something it comes off the list, that way there is no, ahem, "confusion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting