Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times

Advertisements

LONDON - He's 13. He scarcely looks 10. And according to a British tabloid, he's a father.

Baby-faced and only 4 feet tall, the boy, Alfie Patten, was just 12 when he impregnated Chantelle, now 15, The Sun reported Friday. Shown in a video posted Friday on the tabloid's Web site, the diminutive Alfie takes the newborn girl in his arms.

Asked what he would do to support the child financially, Alfie asks in a small, high-pitched voice, "What's financially?"

British boy becomes dad at 13 - Europe- msnbc.com

-- WOW....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
yeah wow.. oh and of course they're moving in with his parents....i didn't see that coming.. yet again, another one that can't afford to support a kid like Crazy Octo-mom Lady (well, kids in her case).

Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I saw this and I hardly know what to say.
Luckily my 11 year old was watching and it brought up an opportunity to discuss HOW this happened.

I was completely taken aback at the entire thing.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
it is rather sickening. The grandparents might as well raise the baby as their own. At least with a 16 or 17 year old there is actually a possibility of the parents being on their own before the baby is out of diapers. In this case, the kid will be going to kindergarten before the dad turns 18. Crazy!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
it is rather sickening. The grandparents might as well raise the baby as their own. At least with a 16 or 17 year old there is actually a possibility of the parents being on their own before the baby is out of diapers. In this case, the kid will be going to kindergarten before the dad turns 18. Crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Most 16/17 year olds who have kids get way behind in school and end up needing to live with their parents for quite awhile. Their parents frequently have to be very much involved in child care and end up financially supporting their child and grandchild for quite a long time.

Personally I'd like to say that if my teenager had a baby they (+ baby) would be out the door the day my kid turned 18 but you never know what you'd do if you were in that type of situation unless you're actually in it.

This truly is a crazy situation just like you said. The kid in the picture barely looks 10 actually....he looks much younger than 13. Some people say that the European attitude towards sex results in less dangerous or risky sex among kids, less teen pregnancies, less STD's, etc. but IMO this proves that this is simply not true.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

This truly is a crazy situation just like you said. The kid in the picture barely looks 10 actually....he looks much younger than 13. Some people say that the European attitude towards sex results in less dangerous or risky sex among kids, less teen pregnancies, less STD's, etc. but IMO this proves that this is simply not true.
This one case proves everything not true? How so?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM

I just read the article...she was on birth control at 14? That's ridiculous. Of course she "missed" one because 14 year olds are IRRESPONSIBLE and 12 year olds are even worse. Where are their parents?

I'm sure that many girls ARE on birth control at 14 nowadays but it's crazy.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
This one case proves everything not true? How so?
I haven't seen articles about 13 year old parents in the US lately. I'm sure it happens but I'm simply making a point that CONDONING teenage sex as is done in Europe is obviously something that doesn't always work.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I haven't seen articles about 13 year old parents in the US lately. I'm sure it happens but I'm simply making a point that CONDONING teenage sex as is done in Europe is obviously something that doesn't always work.
Maybe that's because it happens so often it doesn't make headlines anymore. I went to pick my niece from school and I saw at least 3 pregnant girls under 14 I was told there is more. I am sure they do not condone they try to teach protection more then we do which is why they have less of a problem.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
This is disgusting. Anyone read how neither one of their parents works and they live off welfare in the projects?

Yes, because that is who should be having babies. Young kids with no jobs, education or motivation with parents who are likely to be the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting