Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times

Advertisements

Bean and pumpkin, I'm with you! I wouldn't have taken my child to the doc for awhile either. I tried to rep you but CD wouldn't let me.

We are so lucky in my family as not to have any major illness. I find that a healthy diet, nothing out of a package or box, to be healthiest. We eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, whole grain, limit dairy, sugar and meat. If we do eat meat it's organic and in the case of beef, grass fed.

My child has not been on an antibiotic in years. He's twelve and I can count on one hand how many times he's been really sick.

I have had him vaccinated and some even that are not on the list when we traveled to Central America frequently.

I just wonder when will many Americans wake up and realize that it's their diet that is to blame for illness, allergies, asthma, etc.....It's so much easier to take a pill and continue eating a horrendous diet.

Everyone gets sick once in awhile but if your immune system is strong(diet) your body can and does heal itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post

I just wonder when will many Americans wake up and realize that it's their diet that is to blame for illness, allergies, asthma, etc.....It's so much easier to take a pill and continue eating a horrendous diet.

Everyone gets sick once in awhile but if your immune system is strong(diet) your body can and does heal itself.
So people who are, let's say, allergic to dust & dander...it's b/c of what they eat? Or people who have hay fever...they should blame it on McDonald's?

Oh, wait...children allergic to bee stings...must have been the processed sugar they were fed!

And for parents whose children have asthma...it's b/c of what they have FEED their child?

Children cannot be kept in a box away from the bogeyman & all the other germs in this world. Parents really shouldn't stop living & interacting with society based on the fear of their children or themselves getting ill.

There are some very bad strands of the flu bug that go around every year & will continue to do so. Some of the healthiest people get the flu.

When children are in school or play groups they come across all sorts of bugs that other children are getting or getting over, etc. When mommy goes to the grocery store, she could be touching something that someone with the flu had just touched, contact it herself, then spread it on to her child without even knowing. Or daddy could have been around someone at work who was ill & came home & passed it on to his family.

I was a paranoid first time mom who was sure the world of processed foods, canned fruits, sugar, & so on was worse than physical child abuse and my first born didn't get any of it...he also came across a child who had RSV & caught it himself...

Of course, healthy diets & sanitary living conditions helps the immune system.

In 1999, I completed 3 triatholons. I was in outstanding health. The same year, I caught a very bad case of mono & was hospitalized.

Common sense during cold/flu season plays a big role. But children & parents do get sick, no matter how perfect their diet is or they keep clean or wash their hands & so on. Daycares & schools are just petri dishes. Plain & simple.

The flu is a tough bug to fight. Almost all the time, once one person in the family catches it, everyone gets it. Again, common sense & monitoring one's child. We've been battling it here, for the first time in years, for close to 3 weeks now.

Our playgroup meets twice a month. We'll be skipping this coming week b/c we are not 100%. But in a few weeks, we're headed off to meet up with everyone. The kids run, laugh & have fun. I meet up with friends & just relax & have fun. I'm not about to stop living or letting my children interact with others based on fears, either. Of course there is always the chance they could get sick.

I feel for the parents who once their children break the fever, they have to take them back to daycare. It has to be awfully hard to know your child is not 100% & you have to place them back in daycare.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Bean and pumpkin, I'm with you! I wouldn't have taken my child to the doc for awhile either. I tried to rep you but CD wouldn't let me.

We are so lucky in my family as not to have any major illness. I find that a healthy diet, nothing out of a package or box, to be healthiest. We eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, whole grain, limit dairy, sugar and meat. If we do eat meat it's organic and in the case of beef, grass fed.

My child has not been on an antibiotic in years. He's twelve and I can count on one hand how many times he's been really sick.

I have had him vaccinated and some even that are not on the list when we traveled to Central America frequently.

Perfectly said

Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:

That's a bunch of crap. You get sick from coming in contact with germs/virus.

We are never sick in this house. Our diet isn't any different than the average person. We just seem more resistant to whatever is going around.

Both daughters have mild asthma but nothing serious. In the last 30 years I have had maybe 5 or 6 colds. I had the 24 hour flu once when I was about 13, only flu I have ever had was that time. We just are never sick. Seasonal alergies is as bad as it gets.

I had a flu vaccine once about 5 years ago. We sporadically take multivitimins, sometimes eat fast food, sometimes eat processed food, sometimes eat well, but don't get sick.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
OMY!!! SIX DAYS! of a high fever BEFORE you took your child in???? That is TOO LONG! You should have taken her in ASAP at the first signs of her being sick and she would have been put on Tamiflu and would have been completely recovered by day 6. NEVER NEVER NEVER wait 6 days of a high fever before seeking medical attention. That is when children die from this.

BTW, you probably did not "catch a cold" from the office. Your childs immune system was so weak that she could have caught anything and could have killed her. Sorry to be so frank but NEVER mess with a high fever for that long. Especially when it is something that you could have taken her to the doctor for as soon as she was showing signs of being sick and they have meds to cut down the time of sickness like the flu. That is when people do die from these illnesses.

That has been the way it has been done for decades. They try to predict which strains of flu will be prevelant for the coming year and concoct a vaccine for them. Every now and then they miss a strain that happens to go around.

I take Vitamins daily and drink PLENTY of milk which is a NATURAL source of Vitamin D. I don't need to take many supplements as I get PLENTY of NATURAL vitamins from their SOURCE which is MUCH better and healthier. I hardly ever get sick except for allergies and sinus problems (seasonal) but this year I did get the flu. So NO Vitamin D does NOT prevent one from getting the flu.

Where does the vitamin D in milk come from? The cow IN the sun and sometimes it is actually fortified.

The ONLY natural source of vitamin D is the sun.

The recommended amount is ONLY enough to prevent rickets.

You can believe that it doesn't prevent flu. You are not speaking from experience. I am. My doctor is. MANY doctors are now testing. Get back to me in a couple of years on this one. I'll try my best to NOT say "I told you so."

YouTube - Vitamin D Council Commercial - The Flu

YouTube - Vitamin D Council Commercial - Blood Test

YouTube - Vitamin D

YouTube - Get vitamin D not the flu shot

YouTube - TorontoChange Presents - The Flu Shot: Exposed

Three years ago my doctor recommended a vitamin d test. I was getting sick all over the place since I started working 12 hour shifts in a nursing home and hardly ever going outside.

My levels were 30 points defecient. I now take 5000IU while nursing and get tested before and after winter and I am optimal.

My breastfed daughter gets what I give her through my milk. Pregnant and lactating women and people with chronic illnesses need the most during the winter months.

I just ask those of you who discredit this claim to look into it and at least try it. If it doesn't work for you or your family, so be it.

My husband DID get sick a couple of months ago. The first day he took 50000IU of vitamin d. He felt better within 4 hours.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
So people who are, let's say, allergic to dust & dander...it's b/c of what they eat? Or people who have hay fever...they should blame it on McDonald's?

Oh, wait...children allergic to bee stings...must have been the processed sugar they were fed!

And for parents whose children have asthma...it's b/c of what they have FEED their child?

Children cannot be kept in a box away from the bogeyman & all the other germs in this world. Parents really shouldn't stop living & interacting with society based on the fear of their children or themselves getting ill.

There are some very bad strands of the flu bug that go around every year & will continue to do so. Some of the healthiest people get the flu.

When children are in school or play groups they come across all sorts of bugs that other children are getting or getting over, etc. When mommy goes to the grocery store, she could be touching something that someone with the flu had just touched, contact it herself, then spread it on to her child without even knowing. Or daddy could have been around someone at work who was ill & came home & passed it on to his family.

I was a paranoid first time mom who was sure the world of processed foods, canned fruits, sugar, & so on was worse than physical child abuse and my first born didn't get any of it...he also came across a child who had RSV & caught it himself...

In 1999, I completed 3 triatholons. I was in outstanding health. The same year, I caught a very bad case of mono & was hospitalized.

Common sense during cold/flu season plays a big role. But children & parents do get sick, no matter how perfect their diet is or they keep clean or wash their hands & so on. Daycares & schools are just petri dishes. Plain & simple.

The flu is a tough bug to fight. Almost all the time, once one person in the family catches it, everyone gets it. Again, common sense & monitoring one's child. We've been battling it here, for the first time in years, for close to 3 weeks now.

Our playgroup meets twice a month. We'll be skipping this coming week b/c we are not 100%. But in a few weeks, we're headed off to meet up with everyone. The kids run, laugh & have fun. I meet up with friends & just relax & have fun. I'm not about to stop living or letting my children interact with others based on fears, either. Of course there is always the chance they could get sick.

I feel for the parents who once their children break the fever, they have to take them back to daycare. It has to be awfully hard to know your child is not 100% & you have to place them back in daycare.

there is a difference between different types of allergies. Some are caused by diet and it is well known. Of course it is different than bee stings!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
So you all are saying my 10 year old was diagnosed with ASTHMA at the age of SIX DAYS because of what she was eating................ right The ONLY thing she had consumed was BREAST MILK! Oh, MY diet...... well let me see, pretty darn healthy and don't even recall EVER having the flu till this year.

Geez............. whatever MANY people that suffer from asthma and allergies it is SEASONAL and has to do with POLLEN and NOT their diet. That is the case with my daughter and myself.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

I let my child interact with others, traveling all over the world! Exposed to many germs and illness worldwide, not just with a certain city or town.

Maybe just maybe, if your fed a proper diet, your immune system wouldn't go all crazy when exposed to a bee, ragweed, dust....

Allergies are a relatively new phenomenon. How as humans would we ever survived if we sneezed, got itchy eyes and congested when trying to bring the crops in? It's only in recent history and the advent of big pharm that allergies have become such a problem.

Everyone gets sick, but for someone with a strong immune system the body can take care of itself. We don't want to take time off to rest, we want instant health! Why let the immune system take care of itself when we can take a pill and bounce back in a few days instead of weeks? But now those pesky "superbugs" are showing us the repercussions of not letting the body heal naturally.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Maybe just maybe, if your fed a proper diet, your immune system wouldn't go all crazy when exposed to a bee, ragweed, dust....

Allergies are a relatively new phenomenon. How as humans would we ever survived if we sneezed, got itchy eyes and congested when trying to bring the crops in? It's only in recent history and the advent of big pharm that allergies have become such a problem.

Everyone gets sick, but for someone with a strong immune system the body can take care of itself. We don't want to take time off to rest, we want instant health! Why let the immune system take care of itself when we can take a pill and bounce back in a few days instead of weeks? But now those pesky "superbugs" are showing us the repercussions of not letting the body heal naturally.

Really..................... my great grandmother that lived to be 99 (born in 1886) was raised in the country and worked the fields all of her life (cotton) Suffered from ALLERGIES! She did not have the benefit of a doctor or a pharma company to pop a pill. Their common "med" was a shot of whisky w/ some lemon and honey. Allergies are NOT new and they are not thought up. She also ate a HEALTHY diet of a BIG hearty breakfast and dinner everyday of her life. Grew a nice garden as long as she could with fresh veggies. Drank milk and ate meat. Was NOT overweight either. She died of "old age" at the ripe age of 99 without ever having suffered a heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke, alzheimers, etc. Her body just stopped.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
The ONLY natural source of vitamin D is the sun.
This statement is true.

I wouldn't trust youtube as a reliable source.

Vit D, in it's natural form, only comes from the sun. That's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting