Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Parental roles changing in society, stay at home dads on the rise, women becoming primary breadwinners, role of dads in today’s society

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,531 times

Advertisements

Mom's Homeroom - Learn ways to help your kid succeed in school

ChesapeakeMommies.com--Harford, Cecil and Kent Counties's Mom-to-Mom Connection

Links like this make me wonder some things. Although I know for generations its been the "job" of the mother to be the primary caregiver and dad to be the bread winner, we live in a different age now, don't we?

Women are earning money and getting great jobs now. I see alot of Dad's staying home with the kids more and more lately.

But when you look at programs (as great as they are) like the ones above, I have to wonder, what happened to the fathers? Its like they don't exist or play no role.

We encourage our kids not to be sexist, but then you see this. Are things changing? IUs it going to be different for our kids? It just seems odd and a little frustrating to me because I know and see alot of Dads out there that are very active with their kids and family, not just moms.

These are very good site, btw and I doubt most females will even notice the absence of any mention of the dad's, but leaving the dads out of everything, then society can't rag on them or wonder why the dads stop caring.

If you weren't invited or made to feel welcome, you wouldn't care anymore either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post

Links like this make me wonder some things. Although I know for generations its been the "job" of the mother to be the primary caregiver and dad to be the bread winner, we live in a different age now, don't we?

Women are earning money and getting great jobs now. I see alot of Dad's staying home with the kids more and more lately.

But when you look at programs (as great as they are) like the ones above, I have to wonder, what happened to the fathers? Its like they don't exist or play no role.

We encourage our kids not to be sexist, but then you see this. Are things changing? IUs it going to be different for our kids? It just seems odd and a little frustrating to me because I know and see alot of Dads out there that are very active with their kids and family, not just moms.

These are very good site, btw and I doubt most females will even notice the absence of any mention of the dad's, but leaving the dads out of everything, then society can't rag on them or wonder why the dads stop caring.

If you weren't invited or made to feel welcome, you wouldn't care anymore either.
You wrote "mothers are getting great jobs now"...in this economy??????????????????????

Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
.in this economy??????????????????????
iN tHiS eCoNoMy?!

I hate that phrase so much. Why did you try to divert the subject of this post by saying that? Ugh.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,488 times
I wouldn't put in on the mothers - the dads are just as much at fault.

We invite ALL family members to our little Girl Scout functions. Some of the dads show up, but only after calling to see if MY dh is going to be there. Umm... it's not ABOUT my dh... it's about spending time with your daughter. But if dh is out of town, we have NO dads.

And my dh gets razzed by other dads, husbands, his family, my family, etc about the time he spends with me and the kids. Some of it done in an affectionate way... but very little of it. Mostly it's condescending and stops short of accusing me of being a poor mother. Some don't bother with the stopping short thing and make cracks about him not being a real man and me not being able to handle the kids without him. I understand that many are just jealous that we are so close and prefer each other to anyone else, but some of it is just so SPITEFUL!

Imagine another dad watching/hearing the "live show" that my dh gets... it certainly doesn't inspire THEM.

PS Had to add: As I'm typing this, dh is still making a leprechaun trap with my ds. (DD and I already finished ours). No, not for a school project, just because. And there isn't a sports game in the background either... we just decided to spend the day together.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
This is a great website for dad's: DadCanDo.com - a resource for fathers and their children

Maybe you could start another cool website for dad's?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:16 AM

ok so if "real men" aren't supposed to do anything with their family, what is the purpose for a male to even have a family at all?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
Quote:

You know...you've done this song and dance before.
You are in an unconvential role true, but let's be honest most stay at home parents are female so why wouldn't all of these programs be geared towards them.
Just because it worked out for YOU to be the stay at home parent, doesn't change this FACT.
Go to these meetings, go get involved, volunteer at school. Nobody is making you feel unwelcome but YOU.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
...Nobody is making you feel unwelcome but YOU.
Thats not true. That second group flat out told me its for Moms only because they didn't want Dads or their friends/coworkers/bosses spying on their wives activities in the group. Thats even sexist against females. It implies the only people that work are male. Like your hubby doesn't have a female boss or coworker that could be in that group.

But anyway, that was me trying to get involved. They flat out rejected me based solely on gender. I can show you their email to me if you want. It was very sexist, even my spouse thought so and was tempted to say something to them about it, but we decided it wasn't worth it.

And again just because the majority of stay at homes are female doesn't excuse blatant discrimination against males. Discrimination is never acceptable in our society unless its against a guy, then its just "suck it up, buddy". Thats not right.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times
Quote:
Thats not true. That second group flat out told me its for Moms only because they didn't want Dads or their friends/coworkers/bosses spying on their wives activities in the group. Thats even sexist against females. It implies the only people that work are male. Like your hubby doesn't have a female boss or coworker that could be in that group.

But anyway, that was me trying to get involved. They flat out rejected me based solely on gender. I can show you their email to me if you want. It was very sexist, even my spouse thought so and was tempted to say something to them about it, but we decided it wasn't worth it.

And again just because the majority of stay at homes are female doesn't excuse blatant discrimination against males. Discrimination is never acceptable in our society unless its against a guy, then its just "suck it up, buddy". Thats not right.
Just curious...what part of the country are you in? Because in some areas, I could definitely believe you being shunned.

And I agree fully about discrimination against guys being acceptable.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,190 times
Quote:
ok so if "real men" aren't supposed to do anything with their family, what is the purpose for a male to even have a family at all?
My friend asks her husband this question all of the time. He is surrounded by the "He-Man Women Haters" who believe it is the woman's job to deal with the kids. They put on a good show in public, but at home...child involvement is just not their responsibility. Whether its a cultural thing or what, but my husband takes a lot of ribbing as well from this friend for how much he does with our daughters and how hands on he is in our family, and that he does it because he wants to not because I "make" him. I think your/our generation and those after us will start to see the value placed on a father's involvement shift. It has to with more dad's like you making their prescence (sp?) known and saying, "Hey-I'm here and you should be too" to other fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting