Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

At his worst after he survived the Columbine shootings in Littleton, Colo., chemistry teacher Kent Friesen would become physically ill, often throwing up. Now, a decade later, certain triggers can still set off crying jags.

Friesen remembers running past the bodies of two students in the science wing that day as he tried to get help for girls' basketball coach Dave Sanders, who was gunned down and eventually bled to death in the melee.

Columbine Shootings 10 Years Later: Students, Teacher Still Haunted by Post-Traumatic Stress - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,561 times
Columbine, and similar shootings scare the crap out of me. It was so sad, and even for people who were simply in the building and did not witness anything, their accounts are still so sad and they were definitely affected by it...

Scary potatoes.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Trama.Many have trama from different things. Some have nightmares of comig so close but surviving.Some handle it better than others. Constances war experiences and constant poice experiences of high often repeat trama can take their toll. That is why we try to prepare them for what they are likely to experience.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,561 times
It's such a scary situation.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i have suffered PTSD from reading about it on CDF, i will never be the same, the emotional damage and irreversible trauma from the experience is beyond repair.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM

81 posts, read 272,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have suffered PTSD from reading about it on CDF, i will never be the same, the emotional damage and irreversible trauma from the experience is beyond repair.
PTSD from reading about it???

Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times
As a teacher before and after Columbine, I can tell you that Columbine changed how schools work. Lock downs are now practiced. Procedures for how to deal with school shootings are planned with Police departments. Teachers are taught what to do if it happens in their school. Even though it is in the backs of our minds most days, it is there. Every time we go on lockdown (it is never announced), students ask if they are about to be shot or if it's a drill. I've often wondered what I will do if the situation ever arises. Do I jump in front of a bullet to save a student or do I protect myself to make sure my children still have a mom at the end of the day? I was not in that building that day, but Columbine has never left me.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryCampMom View Post
PTSD from reading about it???
Yeah Huckleberry is not known for his tactful attempts at humor.

Pretty tasteless comment.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Columbine will never leave me until both my kids are out of high school.

And then Virginia Tech will be on my mind while they are in college.

Anyone with kids at this age can't get over it. My stress is increasing the closer they get to those ages.

My daughter was 6 months old during the Oklahoma City bombing. I hugged her all night, visited her crib every 5 minutes to see if she was breathing, all because of the picture of dead little Bailey in the fireman's arms.

Some things create pictures in your head you can never erase.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Columbine will never leave me until both my kids are out of high school.

And then Virginia Tech will be on my mind while they are in college.

Anyone with kids at this age can't get over it. My stress is increasing the closer they get to those ages.

My daughter was 6 months old during the Oklahoma City bombing. I hugged her all night, visited her crib every 5 minutes to see if she was breathing, all because of the picture of dead little Bailey in the fireman's arms.

Some things create pictures in your head you can never erase.
My kids were 3rd grade and kindergarten. ....one thing that really has stuck with me is to always tell them I love them before they leave the house. I still wait until I absolutely have to before erasing text messages too - that was after Platte Canyon HS....both those high schools are fairly close to where we live. Such scary and sad times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting