Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into full medical coverage for my daughter only.

His work does not pay any part of it so we are looking to do it on our own.

Any experience with a company? Advice? How much do you pay IF YOU PAY FOR YOUR CHILDREN ONLY?

Not intersted in starting debate on who pays what and why and/or why not or comments on public aid and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Have you checked ehealthinsurance for quotes?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Yes, we did this when we were moving from across the country & my dh was changing jobs in Nov of 07. I will tell you it is very expensive. We went through Blue Cross Blue Shield. We refused to go with some fly by night company. That is a huge risk. It also depends on many factors that are specific to your needs plus the area of the country in which you live.

You should also consider getting it for yourself or your husband. One parent or the other. We could not afford both of us, but went with me being covered. It was $1100 for 90 days for 1 adult/1 child. It was $800 for 90 days for my son. And that was under COBRA.

There is also a deductible that goes with most of these plans.

Individual health care is close to unaffordable, which is why so many people go without. I have a tendency to follow these things b/c of the very real chance of unemployment. I will not let my children go uncovered.

You just need to start calling around b/c so many factors come into play that only you know about it & many, many restrictions. BCBS has the rates on their website.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
We had this for the twins (15 months right now) for a while when we moved to Arkansas while husband and I were still covered by our Irish insurance. We went with Blue Cross Blue Shield like the previous poster, as we heard very good things about them and were considering their long-term insurance for the whole family for later. Also they cover all hospitals and doctors in the area, and we didn't know yet what doctor we wanted (just family doc or a pediatrician etc).

It cost 1.20 dollar per child per day with a 1000 dollar deductible. That cover includes well-child visits and vaccinations as well as ER visits, diagnostics etc. However, it isn't much use if you suspect a long-term illness, as you can have this insurance for a max of 181 days before renewing, and when renewing, no previous illnesses are covered.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
I had insurance on Son alone because it was cheaper than to add him to my insurance at work. He had a 1000.00 catasrophic deductable. As of two years ago, when DH and I married and we combined all the insurances, Son's coverage cost 140.00 a month. He was 13 at the time. We have blue cross blue shield. I hightly reccomend them.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
I know in PA they have the CHIP program for kids...

What about...

State of Illinois All Kids - Welcome

That is for your state...Just a thought.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I know in PA they have the CHIP program for kids...

What about...

State of Illinois All Kids - Welcome

That is for your state...Just a thought.

That is what we have now. We have it because our unplanned circumstances which is besides the point. However, I HATE my daughter's new Ped. I want one my brother has recommended. He's a naturopath/holistic and does not take the public aid. Many good mds don't take it I have found.

I hate when poeple assume since you are on aid you are not only getting it for free but getting better medical care than those that pay or don't have it at all. It is the opposite. Most places that take it are dirty and dingy and disgusting and the doctors treat from a palm pilot. We came across some extra money with some hard work and persistance and would like to use it to take our daughter off of the State's assistance and get her some GOOD insurance.

I'm going to look into PPO and HMO tomorrow. I don't want/need a high deductable since the md I want does not have well-visits as often and for a couple other reasons.

We can only afford an extra $125 a month if that. We will see what we can find

Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Many states have affordable programs for children. Have you looked into that in your state? In FL it is open to all children under the age of 19. Parents pay the premiums. In many cases it costs much less than adding a child to your coverage at work. If people are on Medicaid the state pays the premiums, but it is not Medicaid.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Many states have affordable programs for children. Have you looked into that in your state? In FL it is open to all children under the age of 19. Parents pay the premiums. In many cases it costs much less than adding a child to your coverage at work. If people are on Medicaid the state pays the premiums, but it is not Medicaid.

I don't understand. They would help pay the premium for REAL insurance like HMO or PPO?

We have medicaid (ALL KIDS) I don't like it. The care sucks. I want my daughter to see a good doctor. I have found a couple but they take many insurance types but NOT medicaid.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
While I was divorced, the only assistance I could have qualified for was health insurance help. In my county, they offer it through BCBS. I declined it because on a five week month, I (rather, son) would be dropped because I made too much and I'd have to go through the aplication process again.

If at all possible, go with a PPO..... HMOs are a bunch of red tape and they can deny services with little reasoning.

In my area, medicaid, health choice, private insurance, and no insurance all go to my son's pediatirition (well, his former one.... sigh he wants an adult doctor now...) It is clean, cheerful and the doctors work there their full careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting