Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times

Advertisements

My 6 yr old goes to bed at 8 and gets up between 6 and 615. Generally if he falls asleep later, like 830/900, he wakes up a little later.

I agree with others that perhaps your child is not sleepy because he did not get up til 745am. I would try either moving his bedtime later and keeping the wake time the same or keeping the bedtime the same and moving his wake time earlier. See how that helps.

Mine also are allowed to read books in bed at night. Generally the 6 yo passes out quickly and the 7yo will stay up til I tell her to put the book down (but its still a nice transition for her, I just have to remember to go back to her because if she stays up til 945/1000 reading, she is tired and cranky the next day). My 10yo reads out in the living room til between 9-930 - he has to do something quiet like reading or homework after 8pm when the others have to be in bed reading.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I will tell you what worked for me.....doesn't mean it will for you but it might be worth a try.

1. Supper time is the beginning of the "cool down" period. NO sugary food and quiet conversation. No television.
2. Depending on time of supper maybe an hour of television.
3. Warm bath.
4. Bed and...at 6 years old...read a book to him/her.
5. Say prayers
6. Turn on some quiet music (keep a CD player and some selected CDs in the room)
7. Turn on either a night light or the light in the hall, kiss goodnight.

By the way, I agree that 7:30 is a bit early....especially in summer. Maybe start the bath routine about 7:30 or 8 and expect them to sleep by 8:30 or 9.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I never went to sleep early. But I did stay quietly in bed. I would typically sit up half the night with a little clip light on my headboard, reading my books. Still do.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Thank you to everyone for your excellent advice. I will admit when I saw people posting that 7:30 is too early I was a bit irritated since I didn't feel I was asking about the bedtime, but the behavior. The more posts I saw saying the same thing I did consider that maybe it was too early for the little guy.

So now I have to agree that it is a bit early for him. He's allowed to stay up 'til 8 p.m. and has to have quiet time in his room 'til 8:30 then it's lights out. Either my wife or I lay down with him to help him nod off, but I think this may work. I hope this works!

He did get out of bed the other night after I warned him if he did I'd turn off the lights. I remembered the post telling me to stick to my guns. I did it and while he absolutely hated it, it did send the message. Let's hope that message sticks tonight!

Again, thank you! Oh, and his weekend bedtime is definitely later...and as summer comes we'll have to readjust, except for the days he's at childcare. Hopefully they'll wear him out!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree with boilrmkr...7:30 is a bit early for bedtime. Some kids just don't need that much sleep.
Try making it 8:30 and after that it's "quiet time". We used to tell our kids they could stay up reading for as long as they wanted, but they had to stay quietly in their room after bedtime. This fosters more reading and they're out of your hair for the night.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
I'm glad the new routine seems to be working. My only advice is that you set a firm date with him at which time you will no longer be laying down with him after 8:30 or lights out. Go in a few minutes before to read with him or say bedtime prayers but when lights go out you leave the room. Take a few days to make the transition if you must but really, don't make a habit out of staying with him every night until he falls asleep. He's got to learn to do that on his own.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 PM

58 posts, read 186,765 times
Unhappy Same problem with baby

My baby boy is 19 months old. He is a VERY restless
sleeper! He makes all kinds of noises in his sleep. My
wife gets up to take care of him, as she is the stay at
home parent and I work two jobs. We are both worn
out, especially her. He naps for 1-2 hrs per day on
average. He wakes up 2, 3, 4 or more times per night.
Any help is much appreciated!

Exhausted in Katy

Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
I think 7:30 is too early for a 6 year old to go to bed. When my kids were that age it was between 8:00 and 8:30. Now they are 8,9 and 10. They all go to bed at the same time which is around 8:30 sometimes 9:00. They get up at about 10 till 7. With my kids I have always given them a flashlight at bedtime and they read books. I started that when they were really little to get them to stay in bed. Reading/looking at the pictures kept them occupied and made them sleepy.

Seriously, none of my kids have gone to bed at 7:30 since they were infants.

I agree, 7:30 is way too early. Personally I think 8:30 is more appropriate, the poor thing probably isn't tired.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly dude View Post
My baby boy is 19 months old. He is a VERY restless
sleeper! He makes all kinds of noises in his sleep. My
wife gets up to take care of him, as she is the stay at
home parent and I work two jobs. We are both worn
out, especially her. He naps for 1-2 hrs per day on
average. He wakes up 2, 3, 4 or more times per night.
Any help is much appreciated!

Exhausted in Katy
I completely understand what you are going through, my son (he's almost 12 now) did not sleep through the night until he was 3 and I thought I would lose my mind! In the past year he was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, but I have a feeling he has always been this way and somehow I missed it (I would bet my house that is why he wouldn't sleep as a baby...tummy aches from formula)! Not sure if this helps, but maybe something isn't setting well with him? Good luck to you and your wife!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I have a 3 1/2 and an almost 6 year old. We start wind down time around 7:30, but by the time we brush teeth, read books, etc., they aren't in bed until 8:30-8:45. On a normal day (no nap) he falls asleep fairly quickly, and wakes up around 6:00-6:30. Some days if we have a tiring activity in the morning, he falls asleep in the afternoon. On those days it is harder to get him to go to sleep. We give marbles for good behavior, including staying in bed, and reward several marbles with a fun activity. If he gets up and makes excuses, he gets a marble taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting