Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Licenses to become a Parent - Should we have them?
Yes - A license to be a parent should be required 16 42.11%
No - A license should not be needed to become a parent 19 50.00%
A license to become a parent should be voluntary and provide a tax break 1 2.63%
Each state should decide for itself if mandating a parenting license is a good idea 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM

261 posts, read 944,149 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what requirements people think would be necessary to obtain a parenting license if one were to exist. I also would like to know if people think having a license to have a child is a good idea.

I ask these things in consideration of the large number of cases being showcased by the media of missing, exploited, sexually, and physically abused children around the world, but especially in our country at this time.

Thank you in advance for your time and or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
We don't need licenses. We need some sort of environmental selective pressure on humans as a species. If everyone is basically safe, predation is out of the question and the state provides a safety net to prevent starvation, then the drift of the genome is towards people like Desmond Hatchett (21 kids by 11 different women).

Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Parenting licenses? You're kidding...right?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
And how would we enforce this?

Implant every girl with an IUD at the age of 11?

Not let parents go home from the hospital without a license? I guess a "check the box - I watched this video on how to be a parent" would be fairly easy to implement, but would not really teach much.

I don't really see how this is feasible. I get the whole concept of prevention vs. waiting for something bad to happen and the state to take kids away, but I am just not sure how it could be implemented.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I agree with some folks shouldn't breed, but enforcing licenses to have children?

What's Next? Enforcing licenses to breathe?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Seeing all the horrible drivers on the road, I'd say simply having a license won't make any difference at all .

Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
I would like to know what requirements people think would be necessary to obtain a parenting license if one were to exist. I also would like to know if people think having a license to have a child is a good idea.

I ask these things in consideration of the large number of cases being showcased by the media of missing, exploited, sexually, and physically abused children around the world, but especially in our country at this time.

Thank you in advance for your time and or comments.
While I agree some people shouldn't have children. It isn't our decision to say whether or not a person should or shouldn't have children. And it should not ever be up to the Government of whether or not people should or shouldn't have children. The Government already sticks their noses in places it don't belong we sure don't need them telling us we can't have children because they say so.
You have children for a reason and this is to keep our generations flowing other wise there would be no future. Having a license to have children, you wouldn't be able to keep that generation flowing and there for there would be no future at all you would live and die and no one would be left behind to carry on. Say your parents weren't allowed to have you because they couldn't afford to get this so called "license" well you wouldn't be here to ask such a stupid question! Just think about the devastation you would suffer knowing you couldn't get a license to have a child.
You say-in consideration of the large number of cases being showcased by the media of missing, exploited, sexually, and physically abused children around the world, but especially in our country at this time.
Well these problems have been around for a very very longtime, even back during the Medieval times.. not just today a this time. There just wasn't any media around to tell people about it.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Seeing all the horrible drivers on the road, I'd say simply having a license won't make any difference at all .

I agree. Would't accomplish a goshdarn thing exept maybe bring on new fines or put a couple of people in jail????

So what would the states do with the children born to parents without this ridiculous license?

I see one person voted FOR the license

Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Um....and just whose standards would these licenses reflect? No thanks.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 PM

261 posts, read 944,149 times
Default HHmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
While I agree some people shouldn't have children. It isn't our decision to say whether or not a person should or shouldn't have children. And it should not ever be up to the Government of whether or not people should or shouldn't have children. The Government already sticks their noses in places it don't belong we sure don't need them telling us we can't have children because they say so.
You have children for a reason and this is to keep our generations flowing other wise there would be no future. Having a license to have children, you wouldn't be able to keep that generation flowing and there for there would be no future at all you would live and die and no one would be left behind to carry on. Say your parents weren't allowed to have you because they couldn't afford to get this so called "license" well you wouldn't be here to ask such a stupid question! Just think about the devastation you would suffer knowing you couldn't get a license to have a child.
You say-in consideration of the large number of cases being showcased by the media of missing, exploited, sexually, and physically abused children around the world, but especially in our country at this time.
Well these problems have been around for a very very longtime, even back during the Medieval times.. not just today a this time. There just wasn't any media around to tell people about it.
I wonder why a few of you think this is a stupid question. I am only asking opinions, not trying to prove a side or point. I am just curios as to what people think about how our species has taken for granted the "right" to have children but, unfortunately as a society is providing less and less control over the quality of children born as well as the child’s subsequent overall quality of life through childhood. If the bases for having children in wolfeyes point of view is to maintain the species as a whole on this planet, then why would we not want a better future for this very species?

I do not have the answers myself as to how a license would work, be implemented, or provided. I do however think strongly that a time will come when unfortunately due to our species inability to provide a more social control over these issues vs. government control, it will be to our detriment of freedoms, but also a possible source for species quality improvement. Just another thought to consider. My life on this planet is minute to the overall species existence, but as long as I am here I will ask questions and hopefully provide answers too. Please consider this thread as food for thought, not an attempt to control, convince, or prove a point. Thank you again for your time and thoughts.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting