Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM

371 posts, read 1,255,500 times

Advertisements

Our 18mos old has had this since almost birth. It seems we will never get used to it and seems to be getting worse, although we were told up front it would.
B/c I've never heard or it, nor met any other children w/ this, it is so hard to hear from the doctors ( peds, neurologist, etc) that it isn't terribly uncommon.
My son can go a couple weeks w/out one or will have 2/day some weeks..
very scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,958,737 times
He will stop it when he sees it no longer gets a reaction from you . dont pay any attention to him and he will stop doing this .It is an attention getting issue and they do learn how to manipulate you very young . so just ignore it somewhat and he will stop .

Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,255,500 times
no, no, no...clearly you don't understand what I"m speaking of. This is an INVOLUNTARY spell...a seizure of sorts where the child is just as frantic as the parent, not able to inhale. There's an intense rise in adrenalin, so when he awakes from going unconscious he is sweaty, disoriented, very docile. It is provoked by getting scared or falling ( getting hurt ) or yes, sometimes just getting upset. This is not a tantrum, and it is not the funny little puffing up the cheeks kids might do. this is eyes rolling back, body stiff and contorting, turning pale, then blue and literally going unconscious. He takes a few seconds ( seems forever ) to start breathing again and it's like gasps.
Neurology, cardiology say, however, it is this syndrome and is not going to cause serious, long term harm.
I wish it was a matter of ignoring it...

Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,549,359 times
Oh my gosh, how frightening for you! I've never heard of this syndrome before.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,421,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
no, no, no...clearly you don't understand what I"m speaking of. This is an INVOLUNTARY spell...a seizure of sorts where the child is just as frantic as the parent, not able to inhale. There's an intense rise in adrenalin, so when he awakes from going unconscious he is sweaty, disoriented, very docile. It is provoked by getting scared or falling ( getting hurt ) or yes, sometimes just getting upset. This is not a tantrum, and it is not the funny little puffing up the cheeks kids might do. this is eyes rolling back, body stiff and contorting, turning pale, then blue and literally going unconscious. He takes a few seconds ( seems forever ) to start breathing again and it's like gasps.
Neurology, cardiology say, however, it is this syndrome and is not going to cause serious, long term harm.
So the neurologists don't classify this as seizures? Sounds like complex partial seizures to me...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,620,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
He will stop it when he sees it no longer gets a reaction from you . dont pay any attention to him and he will stop doing this .It is an attention getting issue and they do learn how to manipulate you very young . so just ignore it somewhat and he will stop .
I know a two year old child that did this, as did his father at this age.

It used to scare everyone to death, until they figured out it was indeed a tantrum gone crazy. Once they ignored it, these spells stopped. I think they lasted about a year or two. He still seems to find unusual ways to get attention though. Sometimes through screaming, clutching fists, or acting out anger. But it is becoming less and less as he has more interaction with friends, pre-school, etc. I will say he is the youngest child in the family. Perhaps he felt left out. But I know the parents pretty well and I never felt he was left out by them. Maybe because the older children didn't always include him.

Here is an article on the subject. I am sure there are others on the Internet, but this one describes what the OP said pretty well, including turning blue.

Breath Holding Spells - DrGreene.com

Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,620,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
So the neurologists don't classify this as seizures? Sounds like complex partial seizures to me...
Scroll down to the section "Breath Holding Spells Can Be Frightening" on the page below. It gives a good description of the difference between breath holding and seizure. I would of course rule out seizures. But it sounds like her doctor has.

Questions & Answers

Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,442,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I know a two year old child that did this, as did his father at this age.

It used to scare everyone to death, until they figured out it was indeed a tantrum gone crazy. Once they ignored it, these spells stopped. I think they lasted about a year or two. He still seems to find unusual ways to get attention though. Sometimes through screaming, clutching fists, or acting out anger. But it is becoming less and less as he has more interaction with friends, pre-school, etc. I will say he is the youngest child in the family. Perhaps he felt left out. But I know the parents pretty well and I never felt he was left out by them. Maybe because the older children didn't always include him.

Here is an article on the subject. I am sure there are others on the Internet, but this one describes what the OP said pretty well, including turning blue.

Breath Holding Spells - DrGreene.com

My cousin used to do that. As a baby and young child, she'd get so mad that she'd hold her breath until she would turn blue and pass out. Her parents would do all they could to keep her from getting so mad. They'd give into her and if she did pass out, she'd awake to hysterical worried parents who of course were presenting her the very thing she wanted.

After many trips to many doctors, the parents finally decided it really might be about getting attention and getting her way. They were told to ignore the fits of anger and when they did, the fits of anger, turning blue finally went away.

The holding of breath is voluntary. When they pass out, they'll begin breathing again because then breathing is involuntary.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM

199 posts, read 651,183 times
Quote:
Is it like Asthma? Can you give something while he is having an attack to help him breathe?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:14 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,668,301 times
Quote:
My first thought after reading the headline was "Easy. Cross your arms and wait it out", but you're talking about a child who expells all the air from the lungs and doesn't breathe until passing out as a response to a startle or other abrupt stimuli, right?

Sounds scary. My heart goes out to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting