Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times

Advertisements

he is a great kid- ya'll have blown this out of control- he and i are very close and i think he just wanted to see what i would say-just drop it!!! And he is a very respectful, well mannered boy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
he is a great kid- ya'll have blown this out of control- he and i are very close and i think he just wanted to see what i would say-just drop it!!! And he is a very respectful, well mannered boy!!!
Who just so happens to be having sex with your underage daughter?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Surely you jest. You posted a concern which you obviously had, received an abundance of measured replies and now you just toss it all off as a joke started by the BF?

I confess that I am rarely gobsmacked at this juncture in my life but, dear lady, you have taken the cake in this instance. Yep, we-all will drop it and the best of luck to ya'll. Case closed. Cheers, Mama!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Sounds like you will be called grandma soon.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
My daughter(17) is on a mission trip and her BF(18) (will be a Senior in HS) and I are going to pick her up- and my daughter and her BF (mostly him-she hasn't asked but i haven't really been able to talk to her)are wanting to stay in same room-I told them no but I know the story I will get- if we can lay on the sofa and watch movies all night what is the difference? I've already pulled the I know what happens in bed etc..they are madly in awe /love/ infatuated with each other- what would you say!!I believe they have done IT already - and have threatened them that they need to wait etc but they are growing up- just have a hard time allowing this under my roof- we will be in my parents mtn house!! what would you do?
No way. There isn't much you can do about them bunking together if they are out of "knock-knock" range, but it is inappropriate and disrespectful to have one room for the two of them. Make it clear that you will have a big problem with this boyfriend if he is flagrantly indiscrete in your face.

This is a situation where you have no control over what will happen, but the boundary has to be there. If you say "OK" just because you have no control, then you aren't being a parent - you're being an enabler. Kids are going to break the rules, but they have to know that the rules are there or the situation gets too chaotic and you are doing the child no favors. If you cave the kid is out of control and you aren't teaching her to be a good parent in the future.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
My daughter(17) is on a mission trip and her BF(18) (will be a Senior in HS) and I are going to pick her up- and my daughter and her BF (mostly him-she hasn't asked but i haven't really been able to talk to her)are wanting to stay in same room-I told them no but I know the story I will get- if we can lay on the sofa and watch movies all night what is the difference? I've already pulled the I know what happens in bed etc..they are madly in awe /love/ infatuated with each other- what would you say!!I believe they have done IT already - and have threatened them that they need to wait etc but they are growing up- just have a hard time allowing this under my roof- we will be in my parents mtn house!! what would you do?

Not only NO, but HELL NO! Whether they've already done 'it' or not, and you're daughter should know the answer already to the difference in watching movies all night and sleeping/staying in the same room. Yes, they are growing up, but they really have no idea what love or 'growing-up' really is yet.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
I already told them no and that is what we are doing- I told them way before she left what the plan was -she and I are in one room upstairs-he is downstairs. That is what we are doing. Leaving tomorrow- looking forward to some cooler weather-only in the 80's there!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times
Quote:
I already told them no and that is what we are doing- I told them way before she left what the plan was -she and I are in one room upstairs-he is downstairs. That is what we are doing. Leaving tomorrow- looking forward to some cooler weather-only in the 80's there!!
Have a nice trip! As far as the decision, I would have said no too.

My husband and I lived together for 3 years before we got married (I was 26 at the time), and I remember going to visit his dad and stepmom, and she would not let us sleep in a bed because we were not married. She had us sleep on the floor in the family room whenever we visited! I thought it was a little silly, because the fact that we weren't in a bed wasn't really going to make a difference - if you know what I mean! But we were always respectful of her wishes!!

Sorry you got so "slammed" on this! I think all you asked for was an opinion, not a rheaming!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Have you thought of asking her if they have done "it"? And then asking her what kind of sleeping arrangements she thinks would be appropriate under the circumstances, and explaining your point of view as a part of the discussion?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
Your house, your rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting