Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,809,840 times

Advertisements

I had the same thing - in a different way. I have 2 kids when the first went to Kindergarten I was fine. No tears. When the younger went to Kindergarten I was choked up - no tears but choked up. For first grade I was fine. I think it was because with my little one I knew it was a goodbye to having babies. It was melancholy. Of cour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,871,436 times
I think many women freak out when their kids start school because they don't know what they're going to do with themselves. Also, it's the beginning of the a new chapter in their kids' lives. The years go quickly and later in the school years, friends become the focus of kids...not parents. How many women get pregnant again once they get one kid into school? Happens often. Many women only see themselves as mothers and the idea of kids becoming more and more independent makes the mother anxious. Even though most mothers know that this is the cycle of life. Most sons will marry and maybe call their mothers once a week. Daughters push away and then come back when they become mothers themselves. It's best for the mother and the child if the mother isn't clingy and over bearing. Kids will always need their mothers, but the need will change. The best thing a mother can do is raise a confident and caring child who can leave "the nest" and become a productive and happy adult. Going to school is the first "baby step" towards this goal.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,988,784 times
I homeschool, but I always feel a pang on the first day of VBS or Bible study or homeschool PE, simply because it's another year beginning. I was like an excited cheerleader when my son started these activities for the first time, but it gave me pause when my daughter did... she's the "baby," and wow, to have a three or four year old (at the time) as my baby meant the years were flying right by! This year they'll start third grade and first grade activities, respectively, and I can't believe what big kids they are! I know that I would also be sad on the first day of school, if they went, no matter what grade it was.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I think many women freak out when their kids start school because they don't know what they're going to do with themselves. Also, it's the beginning of the a new chapter in their kids' lives. The years go quickly and later in the school years, friends become the focus of kids...not parents. How many women get pregnant again once they get one kid into school? Happens often. Many women only see themselves as mothers and the idea of kids becoming more and more independent makes the mother anxious. Even though most mothers know that this is the cycle of life. Most sons will marry and maybe call their mothers once a week. Daughters push away and then come back when they become mothers themselves. It's best for the mother and the child if the mother isn't clingy and over bearing. Kids will always need their mothers, but the need will change. The best thing a mother can do is raise a confident and caring child who can leave "the nest" and become a productive and happy adult. Going to school is the first "baby step" towards this goal.
What kind of women do you know? Wow - I know very very few (if any really) women like this. I think mom's get teary (not "freak out") when their kids start a new phase in their life because it is happy, exciting and kind of bittersweet all at the same time. Kind of the same reason people cry at weddings - doesn't mean they are freaking out or that they won't know what to do with themselves....Most moms (and dads) I know are happy when their child moves on to the next step. Getting a little emotional doesn't mean they don't want it to happen.. My DH was all teary when we left my DD at college for the first time - we both work, have other interests and were happy for the direction her life was taking. But as parents, we still have an emotional connection to her....

Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
I am very excited for them and for me because it means the beginning of my volunteer time at the school library and in their classrooms. It also means catching up with friends that we haven't seen all summer. There are new things to do and new people to meet. I love seeing my children grow up, function independently, and become the people they are meant to be.

I usually spend the first couple of weeks reviewing curriculum and planning trips, projects, et cetera to complement what they are learning. I also start the fall clean out of our closets, garage, and basement while my energy is high and the weather is pleasant.

Quote:
I think mom's get teary (not "freak out") when their kids start a new phase in their life because it is happy, exciting and kind of bittersweet all at the same time.
Absolutely! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-08-2009, 01:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
sometimes tears are joyful. I wasn't sad. i really wasn't. I used to work, so my kids have been away from me since they were 6 months old. It isn't like it was the first time he left me, or anything. Just a milestone. An emotional milestone. I said I got teary. I didn't say I bawled my head off from sadness.
OK-I get it.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:53 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,656 times
I love back to school time! Although I do dread the school year for numerous reasons.

This year my kids have been gone all summer with their dad. It's really weird being here alone, I almost don't know what to do with myself. They left the day after school let out and I think they will back on the 19th of August and then they go back to school the 26th of August. So I will get no time with them.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 PM

897 posts, read 2,456,807 times
My kids will be in 9th and 11th grade- It is alway so easy -they are so independent- not teary at all- just dread all the "you need to study for that Test etc".....I really don't have to do much with mine- they are good students and seem to like going to school..

Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 90,374 times
My youngest starts 1st grade this year. I will be a little teary eyed but I am also happy. Last year when he started K there was a mom there bawling and her little girl was bawling someone had to pry the child off the mom. It was horrible to watch. I also have one starting his senior year and 2 that have already graduated. Woo hoo getting closer to the end.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,498,424 times
School doesn't start here until the day after Labor Day. When my children were a lot younger I counted the days, some days the minutes. Now that they are older it is still nice but not as huge a deal when they were in grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting