Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

I have a very general question because right now we are going through something due to someone else's poor parenting.

If your child (age 17) had issues (drugs) and you left him home over a week to go on vacation yourself (to somewhere about 40 minutes away) and the police had to be called, would you continue your vacation or go home and deal with the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I wouldn't leave a 17 year old alone in the first place but yes, I'd get home immediately for any problems.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
definitely go home- only 40 minutes away.....not sure I would leave a teen alone at 17 though-

Old 08-06-2009, 07:57 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have a very general question because right now we are going through something due to someone else's poor parenting.

If your child (age 17) had issues (drugs) and you left him home over a week to go on vacation yourself (to somewhere about 40 minutes away) and the police had to be called, would you continue your vacation or go home and deal with the situation?
If I knew that my 17yo. had issues with drugs, I 1) would be getting them into some sort of treatment program and 2) would defininately not be leaving them home alone for any amount of time for any sort of reason especially for a vacation.

If I knew that my teen had drug issues and I was stupid enough to leave them alone so that I could vacation for a week and the cops were called I would not only deserve missing the rest of my vaction, I would also deserve spending the rest of my vacation time down at the jailhouse.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Yes if there is a drug issue and/or an incident that involved police I'd be home or at the very least, that teen would be under a reliable adult's supervision.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I would be hesitant to leave even a responsible 17 y.o. home for an entire week. Now if a 17 y.o. had "issues" then of course not. And if I somehow lost my mind momentaritly and DID, then of course I would come home. But you know this already. Maybe this explains the whole "issue" thing to begin with. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I would be hesitant to leave even a responsible 17 y.o. home for an entire week. Now if a 17 y.o. had "issues" then of course not. And if I somehow lost my mind momentaritly and DID, then of course I would come home. But you know this already. Maybe this explains the whole "issue" thing to begin with. Good luck.
I agree. We have a 17 year old DS and he is more then capable of staying home for a week alone. We have left him for weekends alone and he is just fine. If there were a reason we could not TRUST him though, we would not be doing that. Keep in mind that these 17 year olds are going off to college in a year, they aren't babies. Now, obviously the drug thing puts a whole new spin on things.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Thank you. I thought maybe after all we went through, we were going nuts. I am shocked at the mother NOT coming back and apologizing.

We don't get along with them (thanks to THEM, not us) but this weekend (3 pot parties) pushed me to the limit and I had to call in the law. Drugs were admitted to and the kid is now slinking around like a whooped cat (not the smug smartA@@ he was a week ago).

But his mom has not come home.

They are moving in 2 months so I guess we are not worthy of 'I'm sorry.' She's also trying to make us look like we were the bad guys with the cops.

I could have called police many times before but we didn't think it was worth getting the kid in trouble..but he pushed it and now...well...

I hope when we are removed from the situation(moving out is a possibility) the woman gets the kid in line (doubtful) and gets him in rehab...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Yep - we left our RESPONSIBLE DD home for a weekend or two when she was 17. Even then - neighbors knew the situation and kept their eyes open....17 is still 17....

Quote:
I agree. We have a 17 year old DS and he is more then capable of staying home for a week alone. We have left him for weekends alone and he is just fine. If there were a reason we could not TRUST him though, we would not be doing that. Keep in mind that these 17 year olds are going off to college in a year, they aren't babies. Now, obviously the drug thing puts a whole new spin on things.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-06-2009 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

...But his mom has not come home.

They are moving in 2 months so I guess we are not worthy of 'I'm sorry.' ...
Why do you think you are owed an apology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting