Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,919,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
LOL! Maybe it should be Big John and Bigger John LOL!
I know of a pair that eventually ended up being Lance A Little and Lance A LOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,801,216 times
I dunno, Truly Nolen (of extermination company fame) seems to have done OK with an unusual name (i.e "Truly").

Now as to why? Who knows. I think it's the Hollywood influence and carry over from the 60's hippie culture.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,948,579 times
Quote:
LOL! I thought about those two as well. Not to mention "Rumor" which is Demi Moore's child. What are these parents THINKING?
Her name is Rumer, not Rumor. She was named after the British novelist Rumer Godden.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Her name is Rumer, not Rumor. She was named after the British novelist Rumer Godden.
..and HER real first name was... Margaret.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,469,262 times
Quote:

Exactly! I just pray that when I have my first child, my husband will not demand that the child is named after him. If he is insistent, maybe we can do a variation of his name or use his name as the child's middle name.
Thankfully the Jewish religion forbids (well, frowns upon is a better word, I guess, as no one's in the registrar's office with a gun to anyone's head) naming a child after a living person, as it supposedly puts a curse on that person's life. The convention we follow is using the first letter of a deceased family member's name as a way to name a child "after" them. For example, I was named for my uncles Jacob and Daniel. Had I been a boy, my name was going to be David Joel.

I guess it's also lucky for our imaginary daughter that my husband and I weren't able to conceive naturally (I'm past the expiration date). We had planned to name a girl child after both his father, Hans, and my grandfather, Harold, and chose the name Hannah. Then we found out about Hannah Montana. I suspect Hannah has become this decade's Brittany and Kaitlyn. Either that or, given how fast it's dropping in popularity now (17th in 2008 vs 2nd in 2000 and 2001), it'll be like naming her Ethel or Florence and she'd hate us forever.

I really don't think parents can win.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,135,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
For some reason my mother named all the boys in my family 'J' names - plus my dads name is a 'J' names as well. She says it was the biggest regret in her life as it is hard to keep it all straight.
Now for the odd part - both my sister and I (non J named) married men with 'J' names.
Six men with names starting with J - not cute

LOL Clearly you were both brainwashed into believing that Male=the letter J.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 PM

689 posts, read 2,334,713 times
I wanted to name my daughter, Kitten, and her nick name would have been Kit. My grandma was conviced that with a name like that she would end up a stripper at Cheetah's. I still think of her as Kitten though. Her name is a convential name, quite boring.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,469,262 times
Your grandmother was right.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,135,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I know of a pair that eventually ended up being Lance A Little and Lance A LOT!
LOL That is funny.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
I wanted to name my daughter, Kitten, and her nick name would have been Kit. My grandma was conviced that with a name like that she would end up a stripper at Cheetah's. I still think of her as Kitten though. Her name is a convential name, quite boring.
Traditionally, Kit is a nickname for Katherine/Catherine- you could have named her Katherine!

(and bless your grandmother!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting