Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,231,928 times

Advertisements

There are lots of -awns. Chavawn. Lavawn. De'Shawn. Ke'Shawn. It's kind of common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 PM

213 posts, read 672,504 times
As a sub in an elementary school i see unique names all the time some more creative than others some more conventional. As of now my two favorites are a little girl named Dulce she is of mexican decent and a little boy named Cash. I also found Drake to be a common yet nice name for a boy.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,990,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Knew a girl in college named Harvest Moon

Nice girl.
There is a Harvest Moon Cafe near my house.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,318,638 times
How about feather? Light as a feather..?...uh no. (Her joke by the way.)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Here's a couple of "interesting" names: Shelby (both male and female), Taryn (can't remember if it was a male or female), and Siobhan (male). Anyone want to take a guess how the last one is pronounced?
We've already covered this one here, and by the way it's a female name.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
I saw Siobhan attributed to an Irish male, so I assumed it was a male name.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,477,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree that it is their business but I'm more concerned about the repercusions for the child who has to live with the name and how it will affect their future career prospects.

I totallly agree. It's very selfish of parents to give kids these absurd names. The kid is the one who has to live with the name and deal with all the nonsense that comes with it.

I worked at a place and there was a young girl working there. Her name was Porche. She had a sister named Mercedes. A guy was teasing her one day and said "well, where's Lexus, Audi, and Hyundai?" I almost choked on my soda. The girl said her mother was an idiot for naming ALL her kids after cars.

I've also hear the names Princess, Cutie, Diamond, Precious, etc.... Then there are the so-called "African" names that have absolutely NO roots in African culture. Or all the apostrophes or hyphens just dropped randomly in the middle of a name.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM

430 posts, read 1,313,135 times
I think the oddest I have come across is a little girl called Assumpta. Huh! Her grandmother expained it by saying the mother was very Catholic and the name is in reference to the Assumption. I don't care how religious you are. Putting A$$ in a child's name is cruel.

My oldest daughter has a normal name with a different spelling, she came to us that way, she's adopted. We didn't change it, but it bugs me that there are now 6 different ways to spell her normal name. There used to only be 2.

My youngest daughter has a very normal name. Miranda. I have yet to run into anyone who can't say it correctly. Although, due to parents bizarre spelling these days, I have been asked, "It's Mi, not anything else, right?"

Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 PM

76 posts, read 211,197 times
I gave my daughter a very normal name, with a pretty standard spelling. I also had a normal name, which I never liked. Boring.

My daughter and I both had ours legally changed two years ago to things that we liked better.

Everyone spells mine wrong (and can't say it right when I spell it out for them) and no one can pronounce hers properly, but we're happy. It's led to some fine conversations.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 29,324 times
I see a lot of kids whose parents try to be so creative with the spellings and just come out with a mess of garbled letters that takes the child 8 years and an understanding of phoenetics just to spell their name. Then there are the cross gender names. Mostly boys names on girls, like one thirteen year old girl whose name is Kieran and another girl named Logan, but occasionally girls names on boys too like a male Chelsea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting