Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
LOL That is funny.
Lance a Lot didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I have a Pekingese named "L'il Caeser", recently got a kitten from the shelter and named her "Cleopatra"!
When I was a kid we had a cat named Cleopatra. We called her Cleo. This was when the movie with Liz Taylor was quite popular.

Quote:
A bunch of us were talking at my granddaughter's softball game Saturday. These are 10 year old girls and we, grandparents and parents, were commenting on the fact that a lot of the "old fashioned" names were now back in style and how nice it was. There were Katheryns, Olivias, Margarets, Emilys, Emmas, Rebeccas, etc. etc. I think that the fad names are gradually losing favor. Hope so.
Don't be so sure. I work in a pediatrician's office. Some old names are new again, like Vivian, Cora (two examples from yesterday), Lilian (various spellings), Grace, Isabelle, [or bella], Sophie [ia], etc. Then there are the trendy names, McKenna, McKenzie (several spellings each), Elle, Eva, Ava, Delaney, Payton [Peyton], and many others. Boys' names are a little more traditional, but there are plenty of Liams, Payton/Peytons, and a plethora of Aiden, Braden, Caden, Graden, Jaden, Kaden all with various spellings.

Quote:
LOL. It doesn't just happen in Mexican culture. In my family we have:

1. Nephew John
2. Son in law John
3. Niece's husband John

My sister calls them First and Second, Third of John. (Bible readers will catch that)

Then we have grandson Josh and granddaughter's husband Jos

And of course there is son Jack and son-in-law's dad Jack.

It seems we can never have a coversation without clarifying who it is we are discussing.
Are you of German ancestry? This seems to be an old German custom. My grandfather's name was John, as were several of his brothers. Uncles Paul and Harry were really John Paul, John Harry, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I really don't think parents can win.
This is true. When my brother and his then-wife were pregnant with their first, they foolishly said if they had a boy, his middle name would be Karl, for my father, b/c my brother's middle name is, guess what, John for his grandfather. They had a girl, named her Jennifer Kristine, for my father, so they thought (similar to Jewish tradition of using the letter as Jill explained, though my dad was alive). When they did have a boy, they named him Jason Michael and my dad was p*****! He expected this boy's middle name to be Karl. Ironically, DH's father's middle name was Carl. When we were pregnant the first time, people didn't know what they were having, and he said, "If we have a boy, his middle name should be Carl/Karl." I said, "My brother would never talk to me again." Subject dropped, and we had a girl, then another girl.

My first name is Linda, and I have actually answered the phone and talked to someone who asked for Linda, only to find out it was a wrong number. One time, someone else named Lynn had had the same phone number as ours, before us. We got calls all the time for Lynn. Until I figured it out, I'd talk to them. Once, some guy wanted a ride home from the airport.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
You know, for some reason someone having a REALLY bizarre spelling of an otherwise normal name bothers me more than a weird name altogether.

I know someone with a kid name Kahlieh.... it's pronounced Kay-Lee. Whyy?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Oh ... That reminds me. When I was 6 years old, my oldest sister was pregnant with her oldest daughter. I gave her a name suggestion that she wisely discarded - Pebbles (Flintstones was a favorite cartoon).
I actually met a woman named Pebbles. It was explained to me that it was for real and that was what her birth certificate says. Her kids have very common names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
me too!! very common with italians and mexicans.

maria concepcion
maria de los angeles
maria consuelo
Half of Spanish women must have Maria in their name. For us that is not a separate name but a longer name. There are a lot of abreviations. Maria del Pilar has Mariapi, Maripi, o Maripili. Maria Luisa has Marisa.
Some of them are long like Maria de la Cinta. I remember one year in one of my classes there were 5 Maria del Carmen and 3 Maria Teresa.

Oh and boys have either Jose, Juan or Jesus in their name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaL View Post
Since we are talking about names one thing I hate about my culture (Mexican) is the tendency to name kids after their parents generation after generation, sometimes at family reunions you call out for Carlos and you get five different guys answering !!!!
In Spain women do it too. My older sister has my mother's name. That is where the -ita/-ito ending comes into place. Pepe & Pepa have Pepito & Pepita.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, for some reason someone having a REALLY bizarre spelling of an otherwise normal name bothers me more than a weird name altogether.

To differentiate her from the 10 other Kaleys in her class! They want a unique, but popular, name (contradiction, anyone?).

Old 09-23-2009, 04:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
My last name is frequently misspelled, because everyone expects a different spelling. And I met a guy named Kent (first name)--and I told him, I bet you have problems with people misspelling your name.

Constantly
, he replied.

That's all that will happen if you have a nonstandard spelling, or a name suspiciously close to another name.

Here's a couple of "interesting" names: Shelby (both male and female), Taryn (can't remember if it was a male or female), and Siobhan (male). Anyone want to take a guess how the last one is pronounced?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 AM

(It was just mentioned a few posts back) Shi-VON.

Now I'm curious... how does one misspell Kent? Seems pretty basic to me.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Ken. That's how to misspell Kent. By assuming it is the more common name, when it isn't.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post

Because their kid is so unique, so superior to the other Kaylee that Kaylee just won't do.

I hear these names all of the time and it is a pet peeve. I had to do a double take the other day when I heard a dad calling for his son named.............Trooper. That kid would have gotten his a&* beat where I grew up.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
I didn't think John was so common any more. Our little boy is "John" and he is the only John in his preschool. I expect him to be the only John in his grade. He's a very extraordinary boy with an ordinary name. Does anyone know any little Johns like under 5 years old??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting