Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM

10 posts, read 17,991 times

Advertisements

I have court in about a week & I had an incorrigable filed on me by my parents over the summer, because I ran away. But because my dad beat me for no reason? & in return I suppose this is their revenge on me for telling. I'd been living with my aunt & doing good, doing everything she asked me too do, stayed out of trouble, going to school, being a model child so to speak. So my parents made me move back in with them, out of jealousy I'm assuming. But it was required when I got put on Behavioral Monitoring or whatever, that I see a therapist, get drug tested, & go to school. I've been doing all of those, except going to school most of the time. And my therapist & social worker are pretty much saying, I'm going to a group home. Do you think a judge would rather me live with my aunt, than go to a group home? Please help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,597 times
If you are going into the system you should have a lawyer assigned to represent you.
For your family member to be a foster parent she will have to take the training and be licensed.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,904,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
If you are going into the system you should have a lawyer assigned to represent you.
For your family member to be a foster parent she will have to take the training and be licensed.
I'm sure that regulations concerning foster care vary for every state, but I know of a few cases where a family member/friend was given guardianship of a minor child *without* having to take any training or get a license, including my own parents who had guardianship of my "brother" (totally not related in any way) when he was 15-18.

Loisrich- how old are you, what state do you live in and (the big question) what's the deal with getting to school? Though I doubt any of us can predict what a judge will think is best for you, I can tell you that if, under your aunt's care, you still can't make it to school, he'll probably assume that you are still "incorrigible" (that word makes me laugh, btw..) and/or that your aunt's home is not the best fit for you. (IE: If you want to remain at your aunt's house, you had better start sucking it up and get your butt to school when it's supposed to be.)

Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 AM

141 posts, read 429,596 times
Speak with your Guardian Ad Litem ( someone appointed to present whats in your best interests). Ask if a family plan has been decided upon and can it be modified. Depending on what state you live in your aunt can take a leap and try petitioning the Foster Care Review Board (every state has one) before a decision about where to place you has been made.

I don't kow your age but your local CPS office can point you in the right direction to find out who your Guardian Ad Litem is and more information on the Foster Care Review Board.
I'm sure you've heard this over and over but try to stay in school, its worth it.
Good Luck.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I'm sure that regulations concerning foster care vary for every state, but I know of a few cases where a family member/friend was given guardianship of a minor child *without* having to take any training or get a license, including my own parents who had guardianship of my "brother" (totally not related in any way) when he was 15-18.
Sorry I wasn't clear, to be a foster parent you need the training to be a guardian you don't.
It is always better for her to take the training because then she would get compensation for being a foster parent.

To the OP. If you are taken from your home because your parents mistreat you then you go into foster care but I am not sure what happens if you are the problem. It may be that group home is the only choice.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,012,105 times
Make sure you point out to the judge how you are treated at home, versus how you are treated at your aunts house. As well as how you act different at your aunts.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
my brother is in jail and his 22 year old girl friend dropped off their year and a half daughter because she was in the hospital for one week. Now she is running the streets not returning our calls to bring the baby back. A friend of hers told us she has been hanging around bad people, and bringing the baby around it. My wife and I have twins and our struggling ourselves. We dont want her to go to foster care with people she does not know. We want to know what our options are. Is there funding out there to help us along the way. Her father will be out of jail in less than one year, so it will be until then that we keep her?

Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
i have a 15 mo family member in foster care iam the aunt and they wont let her come with me i even got a family foster care lin what do i do i have never done this befor ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting