Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I miss those CVS Bucks! I'd end up with $5 or $10 off coupons and would "spend" them at really good sales on something expensive, like batteries. Like most store coupons, you would just have to wait for the good sale. There would usually be one holy alignment per month of store coupon, CVS coupon and CVS Extra Care Bucks.

We don't live close to CVS here--we have Walgreens. Although we do often buy their generic OTC stuff (ibuprofen, acetomeniphen), I haven't found them to have good prices on much else. Sometimes they'll have a sale on shampoo or soap, but Target or Meijer are usually cheaper.
I haven't hit up CVS in a while. I've been focusing my extra dollars on other areas like my freezer when it comes to sales. But we are low on razors and detergent. At one point I had over 20 bottles of detergent. I bet I didn't spend $25 for them, total.

Let me go check out this week's sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I haven't hit up CVS in a while. I've been focusing my extra dollars on other areas like my freezer when it comes to sales. But we are low on razors and detergent. At one point I had over 20 bottles of detergent. I bet I didn't spend $25 for them, total.
I'm so jealous! I have to buy the free & clear or my husband gets nasty dermatitis, and All Free & Clear is cheaper than Tide. I get the big dispensers for $13 at Target, I think, and one will last me ... six weeks? I hate how expensive All is and hope that Target comes out with a generic soon. They do have all kinds of generic scented stuff, but no free & clear.

Razors is another good stock-up item, something I only buy when there's a sale and I have a coupon.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Just out of curiosity, googled for detergent, - this came up! Wow. I think I will try it. Though our stores do sell generic odorless detergent, it is still pricey. Since all my laundry waters go into my own soil, I like the idea of knowing the ingredients. Besides, 10 liters (2.5 gallons) of detergent for $7?

down---to---earth: Make your own laundry detergent

Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Just curious for those who say don't use grocerygame - I used it for a while, since for me, it told me when to use the coupons I was clipping at my particular store. Do these free sites offer that? I'd love to start clipping coupons again and save a few bucks, but I really only have time for a few minutes at work to plan out my shopping, and could use the convenience of something like what grocerygame does (I just don't want yet another recurring monthly bill).
Yes, these other sites do it - only, IMO, better. They will teach you how to maximize the deals, not just when to use a coupon. You will learn how to buy something you have absolutely no use for (donate!) in order to get something else for which there is no coupon, for free (or substantially lower price). It's a method of combining - it's "the deal". It's not difficult, but it does take more explaining than this forum is set up for - and that's why there are so many sites devoted to just "couponing".

A long time ago, I was a stockpiler - I was always a stockpiler. I bought enough of X to last me until the next GREAT sale of X. But I never understood how to get more than 1, 2, or even 5 of a given coupon. And stores limit you to using 4 of the same coupon AT A TIME. These coupon sites will give you the answers on how to do it - on the up and up as well.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm so jealous! I have to buy the free & clear or my husband gets nasty dermatitis, and All Free & Clear is cheaper than Tide. I get the big dispensers for $13 at Target, I think, and one will last me ... six weeks? I hate how expensive All is and hope that Target comes out with a generic soon. They do have all kinds of generic scented stuff, but no free & clear.

Razors is another good stock-up item, something I only buy when there's a sale and I have a coupon.
Have you tried Ultra by Sears? It is frag. free and low suds. No frills. A huge box (180 loads) runs $24 but it is always on sale for $11.99 or $13.99. Lasts me about 4 months & I do a lot of laundry. All 3 boys in the house have fair and sensitive skin & had no problems w/ skin irritations when using it to wash #2 clothes when he was a newborn.

I've never seen a coupon for razors (Mach 3) but see a lot of coupons for disposables. I'd love to get some razor coupons...those things are way too expensive!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Have you tried Purex Free & Clear? or Wisk? I have a neighbor who uses that, blonde with ultra sensitive skin, and she has used both the Purex and Wisk I am able to get on sale with a coupon. I like the x2 or x3. I have a year's worth I paid very little.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
How about not writing out "dot com".

Write ".com" instead!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
my limit is 300.00 for one person and a dog

Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
I forgot to mention that I also go to an Amish salvage grocery store, called BB's. Lots of good deals on great stuff, but rarely the same stuff each time you go. Some things are dented or out of date, but lots of times the items are there b/c the company changed the label, part of the pallet was smashed, or a bottle broke and splashed on the unbroken ones.

BB's Grocery Outlet on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dorothysh/2285512689/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 11-24-2009, 05:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Have you tried Ultra by Sears?
No, I haven't heard of it. It's sold in Sears, the department store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Have you tried Purex Free & Clear? or Wisk?
Yes, both of those make him itchy. I used to think it was all his head (he gets hives when he's anxious), but I've tried to sneak new detergent in and he usually knows within a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting