Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times

Advertisements

My 3.5 DD is in preschool 4 days per week at a state child development center, CDS. She received speech therapy services from age 2-3 yrs but didn't qualify anymore at age 3 - however this program takes a limited # of 'normal' kids.

Although she has no 'deficits' the preschool teacher told me yesterday that she is very concerned about my dd's inability to focus and she will have problems when she enters kindergarten. I am aware of this issue, which is why I enrolled her 4 days a week in PS thinking the 'routine' would help.

The teacher said that, after conferring with the speech therapist, she is going to write a letter for me concerning DD behavior to give to the pediatrician - to see if she will recommend someone who can help her.

I don't have any faith that the pediatrician will be of much help - all that they do is refer me to CDS and now CDS is referring me back to them!!!

The PST denied it being anything like ADD or autism - she said 'she can't put her finger on it.'

Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
So the preschool, which is associated with the school district (?) has referred you to your doc? Do they have a school psychologist on staff, or a behavior team that could observe your child and offer suggestions to the teacher? If not, a local psychologist should be able to help with some behavior modification tools (behavior chart, etc) for the school to use.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
I would look into your county's childhood early intervention program; they usually include kids ages 3-5. Your local school district should be able to tell you. I had a hard time finding the one near me when I lived in MD--even employees couldn't direct me to the right place. It was like they tried to hide it. Perhaps check with the former speech therapist, or her employer?

The PST can't do more than give her opinion, and she isn't qualified to diagnose autism or any other disorder, so I think it's good that she refused to "put her finger on it". Be glad she mentioned her concerns to you, though. Some teachers could care less. My son's preschool teacher tried to treat him like he had ADHD, when in reality he was finally diagnosed with Asperger's. She certainly didn't help at all.

Good luck with it, and don't worry too much! Get her evaluated and take it from there.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
To clarify - if you are speaking of ECI (early childhood intervention) that is from birth to 3; the local school district takes over from there and is responsible from 3-21. But ECI would have a referral list to help you find a behaviorist/psychologist.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
...I don't have any faith that the pediatrician will be of much help - all that they do is refer me to CDS and now CDS is referring me back to them!!!...Any suggestions? Thanks
I would find a family doctor that you do like/trust/have faith in. Do you have insurance? You can call your insurance provider and they can also be of assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting