Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone..my 14 yo daughter is having a hard time finding a bathing suit and I was wondering if you all could help. She wants to wear a bikini, (which I'm totally fine with. I'd kill for a figure like hers!) but is finding that most of the junior sized bikinis are string bikinis or just two triangles attached to a string, which she doesn't like. She can fit into size 16 suits at Justice, but just barely. Does anyone know of any stores with more modest junior sized bikinis? Yes, I know bikinis aren't meant to really represent modesty, but like I said, she's not fond of the string bikini style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Old Navy usually has a big selection of mix-and-match styles; I don't how they work for your daughter's size, but since they have both a girl's department as well as a women's department (I know they offer XS) she might have some luck there, even if it's not officially a junior size.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,445 times
I would second old navy, I swore by them for swimsuits as a teen. Beyond the string bikini variety, they also sell the "halter top" style which is a little more covering. Many times they tie in the back and at the neck, making sizing a bit easier. They also sell the tops and bottoms seperately.

Victoria's Secret also sells swimwear, although mostly online. Only a little of the selection is now actually in stores. Their variety is pretty wide.

PS: My sister goes to college in De Pere. Nice school up there.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
maybe Women's Clothing, Swimwear, Shoes, Accessories and more at Newport-News.com

Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM

881 posts, read 2,254,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I would second old navy, I swore by them for swimsuits as a teen. Beyond the string bikini variety, they also sell the "halter top" style which is a little more covering. Many times they tie in the back and at the neck, making sizing a bit easier. They also sell the tops and bottoms seperately.

Victoria's Secret also sells swimwear, although mostly online. Only a little of the selection is now actually in stores. Their variety is pretty wide.

PS: My sister goes to college in De Pere. Nice school up there.
2nd Victoria Secret. They do have some more modest styles. Maybe try the x-small. I just purchased two from them since they are having a sale and found their size chart to be pretty accurate.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Look for the separate tops and bottoms...we were often able to find the bottoms that were the "boy short" styles when my DD was younger.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We're going down to the Wisconsin Dells ("Waterpark Capital of the World") next weekend, and she's grown 2.5 inches since August, so none of her suits fit her very well anymore. Oh and billiken, I'm assuming your sister goes to St. Norbert? You're right, it is a great school! In fact, my niece decided to go there last month (she's a senior).

Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
I saw that Target has suits out now and they sell the tops and bottoms separately. Depending on how well developed your DD is, most of the suits today have a small pad in the cups that is removable. We found that taking these out helped the fit quite a bit.

Another option would be to look at a sporting good store for Speedo or Ryka and one of their tankini sets.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We're going down to the Wisconsin Dells ("Waterpark Capital of the World") next weekend, and she's grown 2.5 inches since August, so none of her suits fit her very well anymore. Oh and billiken, I'm assuming your sister goes to St. Norbert? You're right, it is a great school! In fact, my niece decided to go there last month (she's a senior).
I guess I"M confused......[livin in the desert does that to ya] but somehow....Wisconsin Dells/Waterpatk Capital of the World/Bikini and JANUARY should not be used in the same sentance

Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM

881 posts, read 2,254,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I guess I"M confused......[livin in the desert does that to ya] but somehow....Wisconsin Dells/Waterpatk Capital of the World/Bikini and JANUARY should not be used in the same sentance
There are indoor water parks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting