Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Her being my own makes me even more compelled to keep her in line. She didn't ask to be here, she is in this world because of us. We OWE it to her to raise her to be the best human being we possibly can, and that's exactly what we're going to do. I know it will hurt to punish her.... my dad said that sometimes he thought the things my brother and I were doing were downright hilarious, but he had to be consistent and he had to punish us when we did things we weren't supposed to. I imagine that is one of the toughest parts of being a parent, but taking the easy route only hurts the child in the end.
Well part of raising a good human being is also nurturing if you plan to be inflexible and raising her like she was in the military you would do her more harm than good. BTW the moment you see those big eyes looking at you you will be a changed person. Also each comes with their own personality. Just when you think you have it figured out with number one, number 2 comes and is totally different.
BTW the children that cause most problems in society are the ones that come from homes that are too permissive or too strict. You have to find the middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
There are other methods. It's not my fault that spanking is the most effective one.
Eh...my husband's father used to use the belt on him and his brother. Never stopped them from getting in trouble. They just learned to be sneakier and accept that if they got caught, they'd get the belt and that would be that. They'd just balance out whether that party was worth the risk or not......They'd probably have thought a lot harder if the car or license was taken away...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Spanking only helps the parent, not the kid. Sorry, that's what all the research shows. I won't say I don't or haven't spanked my kids. But honestly, it only makes me feel better, and to be honest, it doesn't really make me feel better.... If you spank enough, sure your kids will be in line, only because they fear you, not because they choose to have good behavior. There are better ways to discipline, and yes, spanking is much easier than any other method. It's a lazy disciplinary approach in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Well part of raising a good human being is also nurturing if you plan to be inflexible and raising her like she was in the military you would do her more harm than good. BTW the moment you see those big eyes looking at you you will be a changed person. Also each comes with their own personality. Just when you think you have it figured out with number one, number 2 comes and is totally different.
BTW the children that cause most problems in society are the ones that come from homes that are too permissive or too strict. You have to find the middle ground.
Excellent observation. My DD (away at college) can tell you all kinds of stories of her friends from very strict homes whose freshman year at college would cause your hair to stand on end. The ones from overly permissive homes were like that starting in middle school....Balance is the key

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 PM

160 posts, read 321,393 times
Quote:
Really what's the drama? Back then everyone was spanked, that was the way parents used to handle it, even with 3 year olds, and I don't see people in their 30s, 40s, 50s hitting anyone.
You don't? don't you watch tv? the news? the true crime shows? do you read the news papers? it's every where. do a search about it online. You need to open your eyes if you don't see peope hitting people, stabbing people, etc...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM

160 posts, read 321,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
eh...my husband's father used to use the belt on him and his brother. Never stopped them from getting in trouble. They just learned to be sneakier and accept that if they got caught, they'd get the belt and that would be that. They'd just balance out whether that party was worth the risk or not......they'd probably have thought a lot harder if the car or license was taken away...
great point!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Quote:
There are other methods. It's not my fault that spanking is the most effective one.
It wasn't for me. My parents were not abusive and were just doing they best they knew how, but I was a sensitive kid and spankings terrified me. I had so much fear that I couldn't even think about what I'd done wrong or how I should do things differently. Eventually they figured out that taking things away and talking to me worked much better.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 PM

382 posts, read 758,547 times
Well, that has to be a certain level of fear from a child to the parent. Otherwise they would do whatever they wanted.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 PM

No one is saying that children shouldn't be disciplined or that they shouldn't have a healthy respect for the authority of the parents. Of course that is true. Just that "smacking" a child isn't always the best way to accomplish that - or the only way.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

382 posts, read 758,547 times
Of course it doesn't need to be always. Usually a good smacking won't require another one for quite a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting