Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
I'm going to be straight forward on this one. Bibles are made in the purpose of following a certain type of religion. This is the same as a morphine. They both operate in similar ways because you are brainwash by it too much that you can't distinguish reality from ''fantasy world''.

Anyone can live without bibles and/or religion. It's only something you created in your mind and want to believe but it's just your own fantasy but yes it's digressing. This is the a reply back to those relying on quotations from bibles.
Really............... It is NOT a "fantasy". Sorry to tell you that but it is true. I'm not brainwashed either. Seems you have been brainwashed into believing that spanking is always wrong yet you are not a parent and don't have a clue on how some kids behave and what forms of discipline can work and not work on different kids.

I CAN distinguish reality from "fantasy". In REALITY I know that a toddler can not be reasoned with. In REALITY a mom or dad can not sit down an 18 month old and say, "listen honey, we love you very much and we want you to live to be a ripe old age. But the things you are doing can hurt you. You need to understand that it is not okay for you to put your tongue in the light socket. It is not okay for you to climb up on top of the cabinets or dresser. We really want you to understand this so please try not to do these things." RIGHT.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

And for those of you that are curious about why some Christians don't follow the Old Testament laws.......... Read the New Testament. We were taken OUT of Old Testament laws when Christ was born, crucified and resurrected. We don't have to follow many of them anymore. However, some were still given to be obeyed like the Ten Commandments. Again, read the New Testament. It IS in there. Anyway, don't care to go into this now on this thread.
OK, but why do they still cherry pick certain OT verses when it fits their preconceived notions? Churches LOVE to keep that 10% tithing thing alive (taken way out of context in my opinion)...and of course the "rod" verse (also taken out of context as a shepherd did not hit his sheep with his rod, but rather guided them...the rod is a metaphor for guidance in my opinion). And since you quote the ten commandments, I don't see anything about the "rod" or striking children in the ten commandments.

The only thing worse than adults hitting kids is adults who hide behind God to justify hitting kids.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
OK, but why do they still cherry pick certain OT verses when it fits their preconceived notions? Churches LOVE to keep that 10% tithing thing alive (taken way out of context in my opinion)...and of course the "rod" verse (also taken out of context as a shepherd did not hit his sheep with his rod, but rather guided them...the rod is a metaphor for guidance in my opinion). And since you quote the ten commandments, I don't see anything about the "rod" or striking children in the ten commandments.

The only thing worse than adults hitting kids is adults who hide behind God to justify hitting kids.
So... How many times does the truth need to be said: Hitting and spanking are not the same thing. Slapping and spanking are not the same thing. Beating and spanking are not the same thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... How many times does the truth need to be said: Hitting and spanking are not the same thing. Slapping and spanking are not the same thing. Beating and spanking are not the same thing.
I'll give you that beating and spanking aren't exactly the same thing or the same severity....but that's usually how abuse starts out, as simple "innocent" spanking.

Slapping, hitting, and spanking are exactly the same thing....just interchangeable terms.

Spanking should be reserved for the bedroom between 2 consenting adults!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'll give you that beating and spanking aren't exactly the same thing or the same severity....but that's usually how abuse starts out, as simple "innocent" spanking.

Slapping, hitting, and spanking are exactly the same thing....just interchangeable terms.

So beating with a bat is the same as spanking, right? It's just a matter of degrees, right?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So beating with a bat is the same as spanking, right? It's just a matter of degrees, right?
Did I not just say that BEATING and SPANKING are not the same severity in my opinion? Although I do think 1 thing can lead to another.

Still I just do not get why people think that it is OK to hit (spank, swat, or whatever sugarcoated term you prefer) kids? There are other effective methods of discipline.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I spanked my kids. They are past the age of me needing to spank them. I NEVER once abused them or lost it or anything above and beyond a "spanking". My parents spanked me as well and I was NEVER abused. The overwhelming majority of parents that spank do not go to the extreme of beating and abusing their kids just because they gave them a spanking.

And NO! They are NOT the same thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Read the Bible, it is in there. I could spend a year going over everything that explains it but it is in the Bible.

And I am NOT hiding behind God to spank my children. I do NOT and NEVER once "hit" or "beat" my kids. There IS a difference.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Did I not just say that BEATING and SPANKING are not the same severity in my opinion? Although I do think 1 thing can lead to another.

Still I just do not get why people think that it is OK to hit (spank, swat, or whatever sugarcoated term you prefer) kids? There are other effective methods of discipline.
Yes, you're right. Reasoning with a toddler is always effective... Actually, I know quite a few people who "reason" with their very young children - and those kids are some of the most unruly, disrespectful, out-of-control brats you'll find anywhere.

It's usually parents who went to college - often it's actually teachers - and they think they're far too smart to spank their kids. They feel they've evolved far beyond such an archaic and outmoded form of discipline.

So while they're sitting around pontificating about what awesome parents they are, their kids are off destroying stuff.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, you catch a 1 year old popping the safety caps off the sockets and sticking a fork in them.....

Option 1: Write up a "think sheet" with well reasoned comments upon why electrocution is bad. Be sure to footnote Ohm's law for the child to peruse after nap time as well.

Option 2: Give them a little swat on the butt so that you don't walk in the room, find them dead, and then get to spend the rest of the week picking out flowers and a really little casket.
How about taking away dangerous things or applying a cover to it. There is also entertaining them with toys. In my younger brother's case, when he was 1 year old, none of the two options would have worked because he would have still done it anyways. Though, if it was me.. would have handled it different but I left it to them (mainly out of laziness and besides I was just 16 at the time).
Yes every kid is different but it doesn't mean you have to portrait yourself like an amateur talking about how smacking is the how to solve things. That's just me but yeah in general many men, in terms of kids, like to have it the easy way. Even when it's not threatening cases, just for talking back or simply disobeying, they like to smack instead of talking.

Last edited by Sunflower_lol; 01-28-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting