Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I am going to be speaking with my supervisor about this situation tomorrow - or at least the fact that Lauren is letting all of it affect her work performance. It doesn't help that my general manager is an alcoholic who routinely comes to work drunk and calls in hungover - I doubt that my concerns would get through to her. But that's a whole different story.
While I think you should call CPS, I don't think you should talk to your supervisor, HR or anyone else at work.

You're going to make a HUGE mistake if you talk about this at work or talk to a supervisor.

You need to keep your report to CPS private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 AM

677 posts, read 1,620,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
While I think you should call CPS, I don't think you should talk to your supervisor, HR or anyone else at work.

You're going to make a HUGE mistake if you talk about this at work or talk to a supervisor.

I meant I would be talking to my supervisor about Lauren's behavior at work. She's letting the drug use and her poor attitude affect her work performance. It's getting to be extremely irritating, especially since she's rude to the guests and just leaves more work for the rest of us.
I'm not telling anyone at work about my call to CPS.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 PM

92 posts, read 345,793 times
Did you call CPS this morning? How did it go?I think you should call if you haven't already. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:

I agree with this.
Plus if she loses her job you will lose touch and that baby's life will become much much worse.

Evil Plaidmom (my twin) wants to offer the baby-mama 50 bucks for the baby to feed her meth (or crack or whatever) habit and flee to Argentina. But that's probably not such a good idea either.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been supersuper busy with life lately and kind of forgot about my threads. Whoops

I lost my co-worker's address so now I need to do some digging around work to find it again. Or maybe I can call and make a report without knowing the exact address? In any case, the mom told me some information today that is interesting to say the least.

Apparently the girl's grandmother has started buying her bras. The girl is 3 years old. How bizarre is that? They're for dress up apparently, but they are made to fit her. Lauren was shocked that bras were even made in such tiny sizes and that they have padding and everything. She made mention of the fact that the grandmother takes tons of pictures of the girl in this ridiculous stuff - which could be just an eccentric grandmother or something bordering on...I don't know, something very strange that I'd rather not think about.

Then Lauren said that she swears a lot around her daughter - how do other parents feel about that? While I hate censorship, I feel like a person should watch her language around young children. But that's so subjective - I don't want to look too far into that. Anyway, evidently the little girl is copying her mom and the grandmother is having a fit over it. But it's not just the swear words, it's the face that the girl says "oh my god". The grandmother is extremely religious and finds this offensive. The poor child is getting conflicting messages from everyone in her life. But maybe this is normal?

And this is where I get uncomfortable. I'm not a parent. I'm only 19. What the hell do I know about parenting? I feel like it's not my job to butt into their lives - I wouldn't want someone analyzing how I treat my kids someday. But then, Lauren is coming to me with all of these things - almost like a confession. I feel obliged to do something and I am going to make a call tomorrow and see what my options are - I just feel very strange about this whole situation.

Thanks to those who have responded, I'll post tomorrow after I make the call.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
You haven't called YET?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
You haven't called YET?

I know I've been juggling two jobs and 17 credits at school. I lost her address and am not sure if I can even do anything without that. I'm going to contact them tomorrow for sure.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Actually maybe I'll call tonight when I get off of work. The number might be open 24 hours.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
<If something were to happen to that little girl, I would never be able to forgive myself.>

umm.. mchelle, something already IS happening to that little girl. If what the bimbo says is true... (and assuming it's drunken/drugged abuse and not just a light spanking for misbehaving- although if she's misbehaving in that environment, chances are she's acting out for good reason)... the girl is right now enduring abuse that will psychologically stunt her and scar her for life. She will grow up thinking this is normal, and never get over it, possibly seeking out abusive guys herself her whole life. Although I think the so-called 'parent' & the loser being messed up on drugs is reason enough to take the poor kid away. PLEASE call CPS right away (anonymously)... and ask them what to do. And bless you for wanting to get involved.. this is a situation where people SHOULD be more nosy! Too many people don't, and there is no one to protect a defenseless child, and we create the broken people of the next generation....

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
If your gut is telling you that something is wrong, then call. The horror stories you hear of CPS taking kids away from good families is totally blown out of proportion because the reality is that CPS wants kids to stay with their families and they are notorious for keeping kids with families that they really probably shouldn't. If the child is fine, then the worst that would happen is that the mother will receive a few visits. Hell it might startle her enough to actually become a decent mother. But the worst that could happen if you didn't do anything is something that you would probably never forgive yourself for.
I agree with this. Just explain the situation as you know it and tell them that you're not sure where the truth lies, but that you are very concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting