Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,131,862 times

Advertisements

I am the mother of 2 who are much beloved by their grandparents.

Should anyone, not just an only child, feel obligated to have children to provide grandchildren?

Absolutely not.

If you don't want to have children, don't have them. PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,072,889 times
They will get over it. Just say no. If they insist tell them you will give birth to a child if they will raise, provide, and care for it. "Leave me the crap out of it..I don't want one in the first place."

Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
As an only child that does not want kids, I personally don't feel its my obligation to provide my parents grandchildren, no matter how much they may wish to have them. But...what does everyone think? I know this isn't a completely infrequent phenomenon, but sometimes I can't help like society makes me feel like I'm an a$$hole because I don't wish to have kids, and since I'm an only child, I'm preventing my parents from being grandparents.

What does everyone think?
I think your parents gave you life. Now it's yours. Don't live it for them.

Similarly, when you have children (if, whatever), don't expect them to live their lives for you, either.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,352 times
No, you should only have kids if you really want to have kids.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,649,958 times
Depends, I suppose...could have a cultural perspective from it as well.

In traditional Chinese households, the men (sons) are supposed to have children in order to continue the family name/bloodline. The women (daughters) are meh...so this issue is probably more relaxed with them :X

Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 PM

75 posts, read 93,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I think that anyone who does not want kids, should not have kids! It is not some kind of game.No one should be pressured into having them by anyone.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,997,057 times
I am one of two, the only son.
I have six kids, 4 of them boys.
Two sons have kids.
One son has one kid.
One son has not married, has no intention of marrying, and does not want kids.
All in all, I have 12 grandchildren and 6 greats.
The name has been perpetuated. Big deal, it isn't my name anyway.
If you don't want kids, for sure don't have any! The worst thing you could do is bring an unwanted child into the world out of some ridiculous sense of "duty"!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,813,165 times
Of course children have an obligation to bear grandchildren for their parents- as long as they knowingly entered into the obligation before agreeing to become children of their parents.

Of course not.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,257,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
As an only child that does not want kids, I personally don't feel its my obligation to provide my parents grandchildren, no matter how much they may wish to have them. But...what does everyone think? I know this isn't a completely infrequent phenomenon, but sometimes I can't help like society makes me feel like I'm an a$$hole because I don't wish to have kids, and since I'm an only child, I'm preventing my parents from being grandparents.

What does everyone think?
"Do only children bear any responsibility to provide grandchildren?"

Well my children are the only ones that can do it...

Does an only child bear any responsibility to provide grandchildren?

Now I understand....LOL...I had to do it the way my old wore out brain understands....

Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,494,504 times
My husband is an only child and I have two brothers. All of us decided to have no kids. So neither side of the family has any grandkids.

My husband knew it might be a problem so right after we got married he told his parents this issue was not a topic of conversation and if they gave us a problem, we would not be in their lives. Simple as that. We have been married 37 years and they have not given us any problem. They just had to get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting