Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting comparison between daughter(s?) and son. I have two daughters. When they were teens, I tried to discourage the brand name apparel, though I didn't forbid it entirely. My oldest DD said that more guys than girls wear that stuff with the brand names splashed across the front/back of the garments.
An idea I heard on the radio (not what we do) is that you work out what you spend on your kids clothes in a year and then give it to them in cash and say go buy what you want. The person being inetrviewed on the radio had done this and sudenly her daughter was OK with going to target to but the $3 Tee shirt. The other thing was she would get old name brand clothes and cut out the tags and sew them into $1 op shop clothes. Thus showing the value is in the tag.

Of course overweight middle aged women could also get in on this. Buy a size 56 tee shirt and sew in a tag that says size 8 girls. Then they would feel good again. Have a latte and no need for therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^So why is it the guys are the ones who really like the high-end, brand name stuff?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
^^So why is it the guys are the ones who really like the high-end, brand name stuff?
I would say that as a sweeping generalisation, most boys have no idea about clothes. There are some who are fashion savvy but the vast majority would be happy to be dressed by their mothers until they marry and then dressed by their wives.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I would say that as a sweeping generalisation, most boys have no idea about clothes. There are some who are fashion savvy but the vast majority would be happy to be dressed by their mothers until they marry and then dressed by their wives.
Who do NOT wear such clothing, or at least as much of it. Maybe what you're saying is that it's an easy choice, they know it's hip, etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Who do NOT wear such clothing, or at least as much of it. Maybe what you're saying is that it's an easy choice, they know it's hip, etc.
Very likely.

Us guys like a nice simple formula.

You tell me 'go buy and wear brand X and I will get the hot girl'

Well I will go into the store and say to the clerk 'dress me'
Then I will pay by credit card so I do not have to consider it real money.
Then I will go and stand in my brand X outfit and wait for hot girl to take note.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
We all know girls like that stuff, so I don't see any real diff between now and the 50s when I was growing up. Remember how they liked to play dress up and try nail polish and get tonys? I believe like a lot of other things the girls spas have been raised to a fine art. My daughter I don't recall every doing such although she loved to change clothes several times a day even as a grade schooler. I ask my wife why and she said "she's a little girl". Well I'll be. Boys used to not do things like that and I doubt they do much even today. Today my daughter and wife like to go to the manicure place and get pampered as daughter is nearly 19 now. I'm glad they enjoy some time together; look at how many don't

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Post Dressing up or growing up too fast?

Barely out of nappies, four-year-old Maddy Jackson is already on the road to womanhood.

Sporting fake C cup breasts and padding on her bottom, she is the latest shock contestant on Toddlers and Tiaras, the U.S. reality show revealing the surreal world of beauty pageants.

Read more: Toddlers and Tiaras: Maddy Jackson's mother boosts daughter's chest and bottom | Mail Online

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
I saw that on the morning show and thought that was a bit much. I thought it was enough that the glamour/glitz did the make up and hair.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
poor, poor, poor little girl...I feel so sorry for lil Maddy....she's gotta be one messed up kid!!!Her mother is just flat out PATHETIC!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Do I think it's appropriate? No, but neither is half of the other stuff they do in those pageants. I don't think it's any worse than the adult makeup, fake eyelashes, spray tanning, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting