Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,092,614 times

Advertisements

I'm 47, Mom's 70, in good health, independent, and lives in the same town.

I call her and/or see her about once a week. Usually related to her attending our kid's sporting/plays/school events, but sometimes just to check in and chat, or to help her with something, usually her computer tragedies or Honey-Do's. (Edit: Dad is passed away)

My brother, who lives out of town, calls Mom 2 or 3 times a day and sometimes they talk for over an hour at a time. He's self employed and has long spans of time driving from job to job, so he often calls her while driving and has plenty of time to talk. I usually talk (listen mainly) less than 5 minutes.

It's been subtly hinted to me (by Mom and brother) that I ought to call Mom more, or drop in and see her more often. I think once or twice a week is plenty and don't see the need for greater frequency.

How often do other men my age and place in life converse with your Mom?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,603,614 times
just visited her 30 minutes ago. picked up her laundry to do and left some money, i been good.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 20 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,324,781 times
wow. You are a great son, Huck. My son lives all the way in Boston & I hardly ever see him at all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM

438 posts, read 1,355,260 times
When she was alive, once a week, Friday afternoon, no matter where I was. I lived in South America, she lived in Africa.

As well as a weekly family eMailresume on the net, pix, and a family chat on Skype about once a month (she did not have a pc so had to use the pc of my siblings)

After Mom died I kept up the practice with my late dad - also in Africa, but instead of Sundays, it was Monday nights for him., and my lunch hour in the office. The retirement home was kind enough to set that up for me.

Miss them both...

Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm 47, Mom's 70, in good health, independent, and lives in the same town.

I call her and/or see her about once a week. Usually related to her attending our kid's sporting/plays/school events, but sometimes just to check in and chat, or to help her with something, usually her computer tragedies or Honey-Do's. (Edit: Dad is passed away)

My brother, who lives out of town, calls Mom 2 or 3 times a day and sometimes they talk for over an hour at a time. He's self employed and has long spans of time driving from job to job, so he often calls her while driving and has plenty of time to talk. I usually talk (listen mainly) less than 5 minutes.

It's been subtly hinted to me (by Mom and brother) that I ought to call Mom more, or drop in and see her more often. I think once or twice a week is plenty and don't see the need for greater frequency.

How often do other men my age and place in life converse with your Mom?

Steve
this seems excessive to me. I think you are doing fine.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,938,113 times
Default Stop calling me!!!

My mother calls ME more than I call her. I mean she calls me like 4-6 times a day. I rather only speak to her 4-6 times a week .. LOL but its like we just spoke 20 mins ago and she would call right back with
absolutely nothing to say. How is the weather?? Fine.. Ok talk to you later.. 20 mins later.. Whats for dinner?? Food.. Ok I'll talk to you later... I think its too much!!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM

881 posts, read 2,258,148 times
Not a baby boomer man but my dad is

Since his parents (my grandparents) live close by he usually visits them Monday evening for dinner. They don't usually talk on the phone unless something important comes up.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
this seems excessive to me. I think you are doing fine.
I agree.

Also some people are more talkative than others. I couldn't imagine my dh talking to anyone for an hour just to talk. I on the other hand can go for hours.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 PM

999 posts, read 4,659,164 times
my husband calls his mom every couple of MONTHS. I call my parents a couple of times a month, more if someone has been ill, either in my house to update them, or to find out how they're doing. But that's it. My brothers call my parents about once a week usually, sometimes less, one single brother, mid 40s calls much more frequently, sometimes daily.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,240,846 times
Until she passed away,
email once a week - photo of the kids. Phone about once every two to three weeks. More than once a month but not every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting