Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times

Advertisements

I certainly don't agree with the Duggars religious or political views, however I do find it very interesting to watch them and their kids seem to be growing up to be caring people, so I like them in that sense. I bet the people that hate the Duggars have no problem with the Jon & Kate battle because it's the 'norm'. Just because the Duggars are a little unusual, doesn't mean you should hate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
I find that if I don't like something on tv I can just change the channel or if someone else is watching it I can always go read a book.

I don't watch the Duggars much anymore, not because I think they are weird, anti-social or any other negative thing one wants to say about them, I always forget they are on.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I certainly don't agree with the Duggars religious or political views, however I do find it very interesting to watch them and their kids seem to be growing up to be caring people, so I like them in that sense. I bet the people that hate the Duggars have no problem with the Jon & Kate battle because it's the 'norm'. Just because the Duggars are a little unusual, doesn't mean you should hate them.
I have never watched them or Kate the cryer (Unfortunately she's on DWTS, can't wait for her to be gone) and her brood on TV. What I don't like is that they seem to be news. I disagree with both their lifestyles and the fact that neither family would be anybody other than obscure families had it not been for the outrageous amount of kids they both have. The ONLY thing that makes them celebrities is the number of children the have. They are centainly not news worthy.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I have never watched them or Kate the cryer (Unfortunately she's on DWTS, can't wait for her to be gone) and her brood on TV. What I don't like is that they seem to be news. I disagree with both their lifestyles and the fact that neither family would be anybody other than obscure families had it not been for the outrageous amount of kids they both have. The ONLY thing that makes them celebrities is the number of children the have. They are centainly not news worthy.
She won't be gone for awhile b/c she brings in ratings for DWTS. People like to watch a train wreck. She is fame hungry. The show is using her as much as she is using the show. Some others will be gone before her until the professional dancer and professional ice skater who has taken dance are the final two left.

Many families in this country have 10, 11, 12 and more children. The Duggars have some extremely conservative views and the dad has figured out how to bank on these views as many find their lifestyle intriguing televsion. Again, in the end, it is about money. Personally, I find them an extremely caring family who seems to be turning out far more normal than what I see around in the grocery store or park these days. I'd rather have one of their daughters than a daughter who looks & probably is, half stoned, talking about using Jack Daniels to brush her teeth & having sex in a public bathroom.

I was raised fairly conservatively and now, in my 30s with my own young children, am beyond grateful for what my parents did not and did allow. If morals and ethics were not embedded in me and it was made clear to me that certain things were NOT a choice...who knows the route I'd be on today. It has helped a milllion as I run into struggles with my own children. So, to a large extent, kudos to the Duggars for not giving in to mainstream US society. And we may all judge them as we like, but they are getting the last laugh with the paycheck from the television show....

Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
My wife has a passing fascination with the Duggars, in particularly when she was pregnant, which I think has more to do with convincing herself that if Michelle Duggar can be pregnant and take care of 18 other kids, she can handle being pregnant and dealing with the other two.

We don't really watch them anymore, but I fully agree with the creepy statement. Despite the wholesomeness and utopian exterior, there is just something not right about the whole clan. My favorite moments used to be when "cousin Amy" came to visit especially when she brought her boyfriend along. Man, she used to make old Papa Duggar uncomfortable.

I know I am probably going to hell for this, but I also really got a good laugh when they wheeled Jim Bob's pretty much comatose father into the dining room in an office chair to sing him happy birthday. The whole scene was pretty surreal.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
She won't be gone for awhile b/c she brings in ratings for DWTS. People like to watch a train wreck. She is fame hungry. The show is using her as much as she is using the show. Some others will be gone before her until the professional dancer and professional ice skater who has taken dance are the final two left.

Many families in this country have 10, 11, 12 and more children. The Duggars have some extremely conservative views and the dad has figured out how to bank on these views as many find their lifestyle intriguing televsion. Again, in the end, it is about money. Personally, I find them an extremely caring family who seems to be turning out far more normal than what I see around in the grocery store or park these days. I'd rather have one of their daughters than a daughter who looks & probably is, half stoned, talking about using Jack Daniels to brush her teeth & having sex in a public bathroom.

I was raised fairly conservatively and now, in my 30s with my own young children, am beyond grateful for what my parents did not and did allow. If morals and ethics were not embedded in me and it was made clear to me that certain things were NOT a choice...who knows the route I'd be on today. It has helped a milllion as I run into struggles with my own children. So, to a large extent, kudos to the Duggars for not giving in to mainstream US society. And we may all judge them as we like, but they are getting the last laugh with the paycheck from the television show....
Very good post. I think the main difference is that J&K were in it for the money (maybe not in the start but definitely after the first season) while the Duggars clearly have enough money to raise their brood with or without the show.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I just read a thread about how "amazing Duggar kids saved a life". Is it just me or does anyone else think they are plain weird? I know they look like they have this nice family where everyone sings Kum-bi-ya but give me a break. Most of their kids are taken care of by THEIR kids on that show. I know everyone has their beliefs and that is fine but if I gotta see them on the Today show one more time i'm gonna vomit!

I just had to get that off my chest!
I just don't watch any show they are on. I really don't approve of using your family for fun and profit.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
I just read a thread about how "amazing Duggar kids saved a life". Is it just me or does anyone else think they are plain weird? I know they look like they have this nice family where everyone sings Kum-bi-ya but give me a break. Most of their kids are taken care of by THEIR kids on that show. I know everyone has their beliefs and that is fine but if I gotta see them on the Today show one more time i'm gonna vomit!

I just had to get that off my chest!

I don't care. If it bothers you so much, turn the channel. That's what I do.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
I would if my wife didn't like the darn show. They seem like a unsocial family. The only friends they have are their own brothers and sisters? Or other families who have 20 kids of their own. Creepy!!!

Guess what you can do when your wife is watching a show? Read a book.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I just don't watch any show they are on. I really don't approve of using your family for fun and profit.
They aren't using their family for a profit.. as I stated before they are able to support their family without the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting