Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,154,526 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 7 but I have noticed that now that the weather is warming up and she is running around a lot more, she's definitely got B.O. It seems VERY early to start her on deodorant, but obviously her body is making odors that indicate it's time for deodorant. Yes, she showers regularly and I'm not just being overly sensitive. When we were at the store today, I noticed they had "teen" deodorant but I'm not sure if there is less potentially harmful ingredients or if it's just a marketing gimmick.

BTW, I don't want to get into a discussion of side effects from deodorant. I know there is some questionable stuff in there, but the point of my post is to see if other people's younger kids wear deodorant and if this is "normal" (I hate that word). I did mention it to her pediatrician who didn't seem surprised or wanting to run tests to check her hormone levels. She said that kids are developing earlier than ever (especially girls) but I am just looking for some advice on what has worked for others and possibly some deodorant product advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
My daughter is 7 but I have noticed that now that the weather is warming up and she is running around a lot more, she's definitely got B.O. It seems VERY early to start her on deodorant, but obviously her body is making odors that indicate it's time for deodorant. Yes, she showers regularly and I'm not just being overly sensitive. When we were at the store today, I noticed they had "teen" deodorant but I'm not sure if there is less potentially harmful ingredients or if it's just a marketing gimmick.

BTW, I don't want to get into a discussion of side effects from deodorant. I know there is some questionable stuff in there, but the point of my post is to see if other people's younger kids wear deodorant and if this is "normal" (I hate that word). I did mention it to her pediatrician who didn't seem surprised or wanting to run tests to check her hormone levels. She said that kids are developing earlier than ever (especially girls) but I am just looking for some advice on what has worked for others and possibly some deodorant product advice. Thanks!

I would call your pediatrician and discuss it with him/her.

This generation of kids do seem to be reaching puberty at an alarmingly early age, but 7 seems really young for needing deoderant. I'd want to make sure something else isn't going on with her physically.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would call your pediatrician and discuss it with him/her.

This generation of kids do seem to be reaching puberty at an alarmingly early age, but 7 seems really young for needing deoderant. I'd want to make sure something else isn't going on with her physically.
We did see her pediatrician 3 weeks ago and I mentioned it to her. She said what I posted above.

Also, not to get into too much detail...but she looked at my daughter's chest and mentioned specifically the nipple buds. Apparently, when the nipples start to form buds, it means the hormones are kicking in. My daughter's are totally flat, but the B.O. smell is definitely noticeable...especially when she gets in the car after playing sports or if it's a warm day at school.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
My 7 year old ASKED for deoderant Friday... what a timely thread!

I bought her some Secret aerosol. She has several friends who are "early bloomers" that have been using it for months already.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My 7 year old ASKED for deoderant Friday... what a timely thread!

I bought her some Secret aerosol. She has several friends who are "early bloomers" that have been using it for months already.
Is there a reason you bought her aerosol? I wear Secret too but I am so cautious about things for my kids that I'm just not sure a kid should be wearing "adult" deodorant (though as I said, I'm not sure "teen" deodorant is any different).

It just makes me worried that all of the hormonal stuff will be just around the corner...the thought of her starting her period early is just alarming. I remember my period starting when I was 12 and away at summer camp. I didn't use deodorant until much later than 7.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Maybe look into one of the more natural brands? I think there are several available.....

Old 04-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Most of the women in my family get rashes and have skin issues. We avoid the creams and gels for that reason.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
We did see her pediatrician 3 weeks ago and I mentioned it to her. She said what I posted above.

Also, not to get into too much detail...but she looked at my daughter's chest and mentioned specifically the nipple buds. Apparently, when the nipples start to form buds, it means the hormones are kicking in. My daughter's are totally flat, but the B.O. smell is definitely noticeable...especially when she gets in the car after playing sports or if it's a warm day at school.

Oops, I missed that sentence in you first post

Well, if the doctor is not worried it could be a sign of something else, I'd say to get her a good solid to use. It's best to keep kids from areosols.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM

It's best to keep kids from areosols.

Why? Is this one of this HFCS things? Just wondering if there is a reason you are saying this, after all, it was my dermatologist who pointed out that the gels and creams of roll ons and solids that were causing the blocked pores and painful rashes that run in my family.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
If the doctor suspects its early puberty, why would a deodorant aimed at teenage girls be a problem? There are a number of brands to choose from, including natural formulas: Terra Naturals for Teens, Teen Spirit, Dove, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting