Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 19,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Don't get me wrong. He's a great kid. Very friendly, very polite, nice manners, has a great job, taking college classes. Bright future, from a nice family. He treats our daughter like gold. I have no problems with him as a person. I am just tired of him ALWAYS being around.
He eats dinner here 3 times a week. He is over just about every other day for some length of time or another. He stays and watches TV with her and her brother. If she babysits our youngest, the boyfriend is over. When she has a sporting event, he goes with us. It never seems to end. I know they think they are in love but, geez...I need a night without having to feed him or see him.

Have any of you ever had a lack of privacy due to your child's boy/girlfriend?
Honey, Thank you lucky stars that your daughter has a boyfriend that likes to hang around your family and doesn't take her away from you instead. That treats her like gold and has a good future ahead of him. You and your family are so lucky that she chose someone that respects her and her family. Small price to pay. She'll be gone soon enough and at least this way she is still participating with your family even though the bf is there too. If you need a night out without him, go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
My husband and I were always together in high school. Always. I have a very close connection with my husbands family because we spent most of the time at hubbies house. How is his home life? Is your house an escape for him? Better they hang out at your house so you know what they are doing then hanging out elsewhere and you have no control over what is happening.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
My husband and I were always together in high school. Always. I have a very close connection with my husbands family because we spent most of the time at hubbies house. How is his home life? Is your house an escape for him? Better they hang out at your house so you know what they are doing then hanging out elsewhere and you have no control over what is happening.
He has a wonderful family life. We have met his parents and siblings. They spend just as many nights over there as they do here. I have talked to his parents and they feel much as we do, that we love the fact that they like to be at our house or his. But we all agree that they do not need to spend every waking moment together. And that school evenings need to end early.
We have set that rule this week and the lovebirds have agreed that he was staying too late. Even if this young man becomes my son in law I hope that they will each keep their own interests and friends. What I am noticing is that they do nothing without the other. I want them both to continue with other interests as well as each other. They are not married. They are not engaged. Neither one wants to or has planned to move out. They are fantastic young adults who are both attending college and plan to graduate. At that point, if they are still together, we would welcome a marriage to this young man. As we are not at that point yet, I would like my daughter to live her life as any young woman. She is not sheltered or controlled. She is a nice young lady who lives in our house and obeys our rules. All of our rules are made an enforced with careful consideration of each family member's feelings. We aren't a dictatorship. Four of us are adults and I treat both of my oldest children as such. We do, however, pay the bills and when you have to get up at 4:30, you have to go to bed early. When you have a 9 yr. old in the house, he has to go to bed early. The BF has a very loud vehicle and it wakes us up when he leaves. I don't feel it was too much to ask that he leave a little early on school/ work nights. Ironically, neither did he.

I would say that at this point, the problem has been solved. He left last evening at 9:30. Now, if I can just get her to do something with just her family on Saturday, I will be happy. Yes, I still like having family time. Guess I am just trying to hold onto that a little longer. I know it will end all too soon.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post

Just curious- why did you spend more time at hubbies house- My daughter and BF are over there more than here-she says that I annoy them -we also Have a smaller house and not a big room with a pool table etc...

Old 05-23-2010, 05:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Don't get me wrong. He's a great kid. Very friendly, very polite, nice manners, has a great job, taking college classes. Bright future, from a nice family. He treats our daughter like gold. I have no problems with him as a person. I am just tired of him ALWAYS being around.
He eats dinner here 3 times a week. He is over just about every other day for some length of time or another. He stays and watches TV with her and her brother. If she babysits our youngest, the boyfriend is over. When she has a sporting event, he goes with us. It never seems to end. I know they think they are in love but, geez...I need a night without having to feed him or see him.

Have any of you ever had a lack of privacy due to your child's boy/girlfriend?

I think its sweet..the kid obvious enjoys your family...and loves your daughter.
I enjoyed my friends coming over. look at the positive of it..maybe you can put him to work around the yard..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting