Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times

Advertisements

My 6 1/2 year old son woke up at 7am complaining of a tummy ache. At first I thought he was faking to avoid school but after refusing to eat breakfast he vomited. Since then he has been rolling around in the bed claiming his stomach hurts so bad. He has only thrown-up twice more and has no fever or diarrhea. And yet the pain is still so intense 12 hours later. He claims it's all over his tummy - not on one side.

This is the first stomach bug / issue he has had so I'm fairly clueless - what do you other parents think...is such rolling around with intense pain normal without vomiting after 12 hours?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Do you have a pediatrician or doctor you can call? I'd ask professional advice.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 PM

758 posts, read 1,236,054 times
What are you doing posting? Call a doctor, it can be serious!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Agreed, call a doctor. It doesn't sound like a typical run of the mill flu virus..

Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
My 6 1/2 year old son woke up at 7am complaining of a tummy ache. At first I thought he was faking to avoid school but after refusing to eat breakfast he vomited. Since then he has been rolling around in the bed claiming his stomach hurts so bad. He has only thrown-up twice more and has no fever or diarrhea. And yet the pain is still so intense 12 hours later. He claims it's all over his tummy - not on one side.

This is the first stomach bug / issue he has had so I'm fairly clueless - what do you other parents think...is such rolling around with intense pain normal without vomiting after 12 hours?

Thanks.
I certainly hope you took this child if not to the ER, then to your pediatric practitioner! Appendicitis and other stuff comes to mind - none of them pleasant

Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 PM

758 posts, read 1,236,054 times
Rolling around with intense pain is NOT normal, if that was you, you would think that is NOT normal!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Hope you have called your child's primary care provider by now. I agree with everyone else, this is something that warrants a call to the dr. And I don't take my kids to the dr for most anything without running through my home treatment "protocols" first so believe me when I say I would be calling the ped this time, I think you should.

The last stomach virus that ran through my family (a couple of wks ago) did not involve fever, but it did involve, for each child, 3x vomiting over 6 hours, then they were tired but feeling much better. The stomach pain did not persist - in fact, once they vomited the first time, the pain was very much reduced.

At the very least your primary care provider will be able to tell you what you need to keep an eye on and what to do (as in going to the ER if needed) when.

(I'd put money on this thread getting locked. CD is not a nurse advice line and does not carry the professional liability insurance that one has.)

Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post

This is the first stomach bug / issue he has had
Wow this part just hit me. Amazing that a 6.5 yr old has never had a GI virus before. My kids are magnets for those things.

Definitely read up when you have time on what is normal for a GI virus and what is a bad sign/symptom because those things can get bad quickly and you are going to want to know for next time.

Hope your child is feeling better very soon.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Thank you all for the advice. I have indeed called the ped. Just was wondering how long GI things normally last. Guess we have been lucky not to get one before.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
When we were on vacation a few months ago, my then-6 year old got a stomach bug. She vomited and had diarrhea for about 24 hours, then just had bad stomach pain for about 3 days. I was very close to calling our pediatrician even though we were 1500 miles away, but since she was gradually getting better, I didn't. It was her first real stomach virus too... we tend to get respiratory things here, not stomach things (thank God... I can't handle puke!). Hope your little one is feeling better in the morning and that it's nothing serious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting