Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 19,389 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We currently live in Lewisburg and LOVE it. Recently, we've had a good employment opportunity north of Pittsburgh in Warrendale. While we were turned off by Warrendale's strip malls and housing development feel, we want to give the area a weekend of exploration.

Does anyone know of a town like Lewisburg north of Pittsburgh...meaning, good schools, nice downtown, nice community feel?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,676,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf1968 View Post
Hi all,

We currently live in Lewisburg and LOVE it. Recently, we've had a good employment opportunity north of Pittsburgh in Warrendale. While we were turned off by Warrendale's strip malls and housing development feel, we want to give the area a weekend of exploration.

Does anyone know of a town like Lewisburg north of Pittsburgh...meaning, good schools, nice downtown, nice community feel?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Close to the city try Sewickley, Oakmont and Aspinwall. Sewickley would be the shortest communte to Warrendale, a straight shot up 79, maybe 20-30 minutes. Aspinwall and Oakmont would probably be about 30-40 minute commute (a bit of a guess).

I'm less familiar with areas closer to Warrendale, but Zelienople has a small main street, I believe that Harmony and Evans City do as well. Wexford is a nice area and a good community near Warrendale, but it is pure suburb with no "downtown".

Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM

783 posts, read 2,023,085 times
Try Harmony, Beaver Falls, Butler. The northern suburbs are a lot newer and have a lot of strip malls and planned developments. You could look at an area south of Pittsburgh, like Mt. Lebanon. It wouldn't take long to get to Warrendale on Rt. 79 and Mt. Lebo has good schools. McCandless is real close to Warrendale and a real nice area i think. It doesn't have a downtown though.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 19,389 times
Thanks for the feedback. There are a couple of towns we will look in to. I know it's gonna be hard to top Lewisburg, but the employment opportunity is outstanding

Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 23,253 times
Which ever place you decide, make sure that the roads are not under construction or going to be under construction before you make the big move. The reason being that once you move and you find out that you have a 2 hour commute every day to work and back - it will not look so good.
Sewickley would be very expensive, the rich people lives there, Ambridge is a dying town. Valencia or Mars would be a pretty good place to live in my opinion.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Mars might not be a bad choice. Is there much of a downtown in Valencia? I can't remember. I don't know a lot about Lewisburg, but my memory suggests that places like Mars, Valencia, Zelienople/Harmony (these run together) and Evans City probably have quite a bit less going on. But they do have little town centers. Those places and surrounding are in the same large school district (Seneca Valley) as Cranberry Township, except for Mars, which has its own smaller district.

These places are all to the north, though. The I-79 interchange at Warrendale-Bayne Rd is only a half-interchange. You can only exit going from northbound lane, and can only enter going southbound. So if your destination is, say, the tech center on Ericsson Drive or Medrad or on Rt 19 somewhere, you will have to account for getting off in Cranberry and making your way over or perhaps down to Wexford and turning around! Not sure which would be faster, maybe about the same. If it's in the Thorn Hill Industrial Park, it starts to tilt toward Cranberry.

Places like Sewickley, Aspinwall and Oakmont might be closer in some respects to Lewisburg (more downtown businesses, etc.) but they will be longer drives to Warrendale/Cranberry area. Maybe not by a lot. Probably also more expensive housing-wise, except maybe for Oakmont, although Oakmont would be generally regarded as lesser schools (the district is Riverview). They're all closer to the amenities of the city as well, though, which may be more worth it than you think. They'll also have higher property taxes (the initial places listed above are all in Butler County which has lower taxes).

You might want to ask in the Pittsburgh sub-forum, just to cover getting everyone's answer who may not also look here. You never know what other ideas might come up. Or maybe you already did? I don't recall seeing this exact question, but some are similar.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 PM

35 posts, read 108,418 times
Default Valencia?

Valencia isn't really much of a town, it's more a mailing address. The Valencia post office is actually located in Middlesex Township, which is a former farming community almost completely converted to housing plans and random houses on acreage carved out of the old farms. Middlesex has an elementary school, a community center and a few shops up and down the highway, but no actual town center. Valencia is even worse, with a population of about 400. Most of the retail and businesses with Valencia addresses are actually scattered randomly throughout Middlesex Township.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefolly View Post
Valencia isn't really much of a town, it's more a mailing address. The Valencia post office is actually located in Middlesex Township, which is a former farming community almost completely converted to housing plans and random houses on acreage carved out of the old farms. Middlesex has an elementary school, a community center and a few shops up and down the highway, but no actual town center. Valencia is even worse, with a population of about 400. Most of the retail and businesses with Valencia addresses are actually scattered randomly throughout Middlesex Township.
That's all Warrendale is, for that matter. Same with Wexford, Allison Park, Gibsonia, Glenshaw and McMurray.

Anyway, give Zelienople a try. It's only about 12 miles north on I-79. Or, if you want a slightly larger town and don't mind a longer commute, take a look at Butler. It's about 30 miles via PA 8, PA 228 and I-79.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
What about Slippery Rock? Don't know much other than just driving through myself.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Definitely check out Sewickley (the borough). I have spent some time there and in Lewisburg over the years and can confidently say both towns are very similar. You should feel right at home there.

Similarities:

Border a large river
Have a quaint town center/main street
Similar number of bars and restaurants
Similar population
Similar sized school district
Nice combination of newer/older homes
Several nice parks
Large number of churches

Differences:

Lewisburg revolves around Bucknell university right in town = lots of college students/parties
Sewickley is relatively close to RMU across the river in Moon but really the only time you will see college students is when they are on break = relatively quiet at night even on weekends

Sewickley has more money, and the higher real estate prices that come with it.

Sewickley is centrally located to a TON of shopping and amenities within a 25 minute drive.
Once you leave the Lewisburg area, it's nothing but rural farmland for miles and the occasional small town.

Sewickley is only 15 minutes from an international airport. in lewisburg you have to drive over 2 hours to get to the nearest airport.

Anyway that is my take. Also you should have a very easy 15 min commute on I-79 to Warrendale with very minimal traffic.

*Edit - I just noticed that this thread is 5 months old... oh well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania